Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Road Trip Restaurants

Gnomeneer
School: Appalachian State

Road Trip Restaurants

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Need suggestions of "must stop" restaurants when we visit a road game.

My suggestion for University of Louisiana Lafayette is T-Coons. The breakfast there is untouchable. Ask for Tom's special.

Georgia State has the infamous The Varsity of hotdog fame. However I do need another suggestion as this place is to close to Ga Tech.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Re: Road Trip Restaurants

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 am

We play both of these teams at home this year.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 am

True, but I want to build my data base for future reference....we happened to be in Lafayette when we stumbled across this restaurant. Thats when I thought it would be neat to have a data bae for future reference.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:13 am

For me, Dreamland Barbecue is a must in Mobile.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:53 am

Not exactly same subject, but if you're going to be in the high country: It's a great time to visit the 5506" Skybar this summer... especially if you have a family of several people. Normally, it cost $10 per person to ride the chair lift to the Skybar. This summer the chairlift is not operational, so they "shuttle" you to the Skybar for $1. (Skybar will close for summer around Sept. 1).

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:13 am
For me, Dreamland Barbecue is a must in Mobile.
The Mobile location must be better than Montgomery then. Went both years and it certainly wasn’t bad, just not as good as the hype.

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Agreed on both. It was more like a chain vs a true mom and pop hole in the wall.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:32 am

I have been posting a good bit on ninernation. Here is some info they provided me about food choices.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/130966/ ... sity-city/

And a wall of text here-

My frequent favorites in the Uni by genre:
-Asian: Pho Real, Thai House, Nakato/Kabuto, My Bento, Toyama, Sushi Love, occasionally Ishi. I disagree with the CA about Tin Tin, although they have good deals, not the best quality imo.
-Pizza: Blaze, hands down.
-BBQ: City BBQ
-Mexican: Chipotle (does this count lol?)
-Sport/Bars: Can’t believe CA left off Flying Saucer. Picasso’s, Wild Wings and Hickory Tavern, however, both their vibes have declined for me in the past 5+ years. Midtown Hickory is better.
If you are visiting and want a better dining experience, I’d recommend venturing out to Noda, Uptown, Southend/Plaza for better eats (all connected via light rail btw). But if you are coming in before the Clt/App game for a close pregame dinner…probably recommend Angrys, Flying, Pics, Press Box (haven’t been), or Bar Louie (haven’t been) or anywhere in the Boardwalks area. I hope they revamp that entire area across the street from the stadium though. I heard they are converting that old Kohls into office? They need to also revamp the strip where Flying Saucer is too to be honest. It kind of sucks though bc the light rail is not at grade with the rest of the parking lot. Hard to have street-facing retail on that side of Tryon unfortunately. I do think the Uni has a bright future with development and new restaurants though.

Someone else mentioned Hell, if you’re going to Concord Mills, just go by Prosperity Church Road and go to Mr. Tokyo. I would also add the Press Box for their BCGC sandwich.

I assume the below is on campus

You can’t drink there, but I always like the food (and prices) at the University Shomar’s. Great fast food.

Ikea is a short drive from campus if you want Ligonberry and some swedish meat balls.

Cookout just north of campus on US-29, which is think is at the north end of the shopping area that some are suggesting as the place to park. There is a Food Lion and, I think it was mentioned, a closed Kohl's in a shopping center directly across from the UNCC football stadium that should have parking. This is very close to the last light rail station that runs in the middle of US-29.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 am

The university area is nothing but chains, chains and more chains.

With that being said, I do love Showmar's and the original pita burger.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 am

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 am
The university area is nothing but chains, chains and more chains.

With that being said, I do love Showmar's and the original pita burger.
I have been in that area twice in the last month for a few hours. There are a ton of chains, as would be expected in a populated area, but there were some local restaurants but I can't remember the names,locations, and certainly can't speak on the quality. Light rail is $2.50 and goes downtown and then into south Charlotte. I took in a Knight baseball game a few weeks ago and drove by a ton of restaurants in the downtown area on the way to the stadium. Again, I did not eat there but did notice a large selection.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”