Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Win Game 2018

MDaniels84
School: Appalachian State

Win Game 2018

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:21 am

Just post your prognostications for this coming season. W's and L's only as we do not want to impede on Big C's Official game week predictions and scores. ;)

2018 App State Football Schedule
Sat., Sept. 1 at Penn State L (but closer than many believe)
Sat., Sept. 8 at Charlotte W
Sat., Sept. 15 vs. Southern Miss (Hall of Fame) W
Sat., Sept. 22 vs. Gardner-Webb (Heroes Day) W
Sat., Sept. 29 vs. South Alabama* (Homecoming) W
Tues., Oct. 9 at Arkansas State* [ESPN2] L (but will get to avenge in December)
Sat., Oct. 20 vs. Louisiana* (Family Weekend) W
Thur., Oct. 25 at Georgia Southern* [ESPNU] W
Sat., Nov. 3 at Coastal Carolina* W
Sat., Nov. 10 at Texas State* W
Sat., Nov. 17 vs. Georgia State* (Black Saturday) W
Sat., Nov. 24 vs. Troy* (Senior Day) W
Sat., Dec. 1 – Sun Belt Championship Game W

Yosef84

Re: Win Game 2018

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 am

Sat., Sept. 1 at Penn State L (I hope you're right that it will be closer than many believe)
Tues., Oct. 9 at Arkansas State* [ESPN2] W

I know that my black & gold colored glasses are firmly in place but until proven otherwise, I think we can beat anyone in the Sunbelt this year if we play our "A game." I think the 2017 season serves as a wake-up call and the team is looking to prove something. Yes, we have plenty of questions, but hopefully we also have plenty of answers.

I just can't bring myself to think about a loss to Arkansas State.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am

Sadly I've not stalked much of our competition this off season, so I will hold off until the weekly BigC Winner Gets $10,000 picks.

A few things I do think will happen, regardless of the final record. Penn State game will be a feeler for a new QB, and I don't think Satterfield will open the playbook enough to get a victory. Our tenured and stout defense will keep it out of the "Never happened" range.

We will win our conference division, and overall conference record will be....well, let's just say I'm keeping the calendar open and booking lodging accommodations in Boone for the weekend of December 1st.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 pm

I understand the thinking that we might keep the playbook limited against Penn State due to having a new QB but I am hoping that's not the case. IMO, we have nothing to lose in this game and might as well pull out all the stops. How do we evaluate a QB if we don't let him play? We can only learn so much by watching him hand off to JM.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 pm
I understand the thinking that we might keep the playbook limited against Penn State due to having a new QB but I am hoping that's not the case. IMO, we have nothing to lose in this game and might as well pull out all the stops. How do we evaluate a QB if we don't let him play? We can only learn so much by watching him hand off to JM.
He has to ease his way into the system. Notice how much larger the playbook seemed once TL got some experience. Let him get his game conditioning, knocked on his ass, and basic play calling to include some passes.

We will be able to open it up enough against UNCC and GW, so IMO use the Penn State game to work on hand off timing, route timing, etc. Then add more in the following games.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Sorry to be off-topic but how will the championship tickets be distributed if the game is played in Boone? Will season ticket holders get the ticket for free? Will students get in for free?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I don't know the details on how tickets will be distributed, but I imagine it will be like playoff games in the past where you can order through the ticket office. I am sure they will NOT be free to season ticket holders but the season ticket holders will get preference with regard to their seats.

I would think the conference will take a piece of the gate.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:32 pm

I am hopeful for another 9+ win season but would not be surprised with 7-8. Anything .500 or below will be disappointing. My pre-season prediction here does not reflect how I will pick weekly in BigC's prediction thread. Trying to be as objective as possible and hope this is worst case scenario:

Sat., Sept. 1 at Penn State L - Nittany Lions make another run at the B1G
Sat., Sept. 15 vs. Southern Miss L - after a tough week 1 and the emotional high of nearby rivalry victory, USM is formidable
Sat., Sept. 22 vs. Gardner-Webb W
Sat., Sept. 29 vs. South Alabama W
Tues., Oct. 9 at Arkansas State L - Tuesday night, on the road for first time in a month against a potent offense
Sat., Oct. 20 vs. Louisiana W
Thur., Oct. 25 at Georgia Southern W
Sat., Nov. 3 at Coastal Carolina W
Sat., Nov. 10 at Texas State L - let down game, longest road trip at the end of 3 weeks on the road, plus the Bobcats want revenge
Sat., Nov. 17 vs. Georgia State W
Sat., Nov. 24 vs. Troy L - Brown is a good coach and Vic K leads a stout D
Sat., Dec. 1 – TBD ???

7-5 overall (2-2 OOC; 5-3 conf; 3-1 div)

Of the 5 losses here, I feel 4 of them are 50/50 or better (especially USM and TxSt) but wanted to break the cycle of 12-1 & 11-2 predictions. With the graduation of TL, 2 OL players getting their shot in the league and Woody heading to GT, I feel Ponce, Clark and Brown get to show how good (or bad) they are this year.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:51 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:47 pm
Sorry to be off-topic but how will the championship tickets be distributed if the game is played in Boone? Will season ticket holders get the ticket for free? Will students get in for free?
I doubt anyone is getting in free. This game is a money maker, and its not coming from just the television rights. Will the school cover the student admission? I sure hope so, because we'll need them there if we make it.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Sat., Sept. 1 at Penn State L
Tues., Oct. 9 at Arkansas State* [ESPN2] L
Thur., Oct. 25 at Georgia Southern* [ESPNU] L (SURELY they finally win this year)
Sat., Dec. 1 – Sun Belt Championship Game W (On the road, rematch @Arky, this time we win.

We finally go to New Orleans and win our 4th straight bowl. 11-3 final. Satterfield goes to an SEC or ACC head coach job. :cry:

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Moonshine, I sure hope you're wrong. Having two "letdown" games would be a tough pill to swallow.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Two let down games happened last year tbh.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:28 am

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Moonshine, I sure hope you're wrong. Having two "letdown" games would be a tough pill to swallow.
I hope I'm wrong too, just feeling some uncertainty with the youth/inexperience at key positions and on the 2-deep. Specifically QB and the right side of the OL (zero starts) with concerns about depth at OL & LB. I think the starting OL will be ok, although no where near as good as last year. The road graders have to stay healthy!

Again, I think the starting LB's will be fine just worried about the drop off in production if any of those guys go out with an injury. Assuming the numbers are correct from the 2-deep that I posted about 2 weeks ago, there are only 17 total starts among all the LBer's on the 2 deep and Flory has 13 of those 17 starts. Last year we saw 2 let down games when Stringer was out, I don't want to see a repeat.

I'm also anxious to see how Brown does in his 1st year at DC. Woody was a known commodity and many of us had seen his body of work and how well some of his D's played against App (minus Helloween). With Brown, we really have no clue how he's going to operate Woody's 3-4. However, I do have faith in Satt as he seems to do a great job of replacing members of his staff whenever one moves on so consider me cautiously optimistic about Brown.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:02 am

Sat., Sept. 1 at Penn State L (respectable showing, I see them as a legit top 5)
Sat., Sept. 8 at Charlotte W (never close after 1st Qtr)
Sat., Sept. 15 vs. Southern Miss W (Hard fought victory vs an opponent I respect)
Sat., Sept. 22 vs. Gardner-Webb W (See UNCC)
Sat., Sept. 29 vs. South Alabama* W (Closer than some may expect as I think they are the surprise team in the SBC this year)
Tues., Oct. 9 at Arkansas State* [ESPN2] L (Close - toss up going to home team - see Troy later)
Sat., Oct. 20 vs. Louisiana* W (not as dominant as last year but still not close at the end)
Thur., Oct. 25 at Georgia Southern* W (not sold on their new coaching staff or their true talent level - yet)
Sat., Nov. 3 at Coastal Carolina* W (weekend at the beach and a win Woo-Hoo!)
Sat., Nov. 10 at Texas State* W (will Withers still be there by time we play them?)
Sat., Nov. 17 vs. Georgia State* W (copy of last year at their place)
Sat., Nov. 24 vs. Troy* W (Home field advantage for the Win)
Sat., Dec. 1 – Sun Belt Championship Game W (Revenge is a dish best served Cold)
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:11 am

Sat., Sept. 15 vs. Southern Miss (Hall of Fame) L
Thur., Oct. 25 at Georgia Southern* [ESPNU] L
Sat., Nov. 24 vs. Troy* (Senior Day) L

Souther Miss is a toss-up, they went 8-5 last year with a second year head coach, you gotta think they'll improve. Georgia Southern will finally get one.

8-4 regular season.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

moonshine wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm
I hope I'm wrong too, just feeling some uncertainty with the youth/inexperience at key positions and on the 2-deep. Specifically QB and the right side of the OL (zero starts) with concerns about depth at OL & LB. I think the starting OL will be ok, although no where near as good as last year. The road graders have to stay healthy!

Again, I think the starting LB's will be fine just worried about the drop off in production if any of those guys go out with an injury. Assuming the numbers are correct from the 2-deep that I posted about 2 weeks ago, there are only 17 total starts among all the LBer's on the 2 deep and Flory has 13 of those 17 starts. Last year we saw 2 let down games when Stringer was out, I don't want to see a repeat.

I'm also anxious to see how Brown does in his 1st year at DC. Woody was a known commodity and many of us had seen his body of work and how well some of his D's played against App (minus Helloween). With Brown, we really have no clue how he's going to operate Woody's 3-4. However, I do have faith in Satt as he seems to do a great job of replacing members of his staff whenever one moves on so consider me cautiously optimistic about Brown.
Call me crazy or a homer but I am excited about possibilities with Brown as our DC. He has had several years to learn the system and can now put his own emphasis on it (which teams who try to scout App may be in the dark about). Also, I am excited about what Zac brings to the qb position for the same reason (people have such a small amount of film on him). Can't wait to kick off the season!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am
Sadly I've not stalked much of our competition this off season, so I will hold off until the weekly BigC Winner Gets $10,000 picks.

A few things I do think will happen, regardless of the final record. Penn State game will be a feeler for a new QB, and I don't think Satterfield will open the playbook enough to get a victory. Our tenured and stout defense will keep it out of the "Never happened" range.

We will win our conference division, and overall conference record will be....well, let's just say I'm keeping the calendar open and booking lodging accommodations in Boone for the weekend of December 1st.
A coach would be foolish to open the play book first game of the season with a rookie QB against a power house of the likes of Penn State. :!:
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am

A coach would be foolish to open the play book first game of the season with a rookie QB against a power house of the likes of Penn State. :!:
I do understand that that is the traditional wisdom but I don't completely buy WHY. That "rookie" QB has two years with the program despite not having tons of game experience. Penn State is a powerhouse to be sure, which is precisely why we will probably NOT succeed if our game plan is to line up and try to run between the tackles. I'm not advocating that we air it out or run tons of trick plays, but if we get too conservative, this game is likely to get ugly.

I have no doubt that the play book will expand as the season progresses. I just hope we have enough to be effective.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:04 am

2 losses would be a great season. I’m expecting 3. 4 would be a slight disappointment.
Twitter: @RankAppState

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”