Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Penn State fan here: AMA

getmyjive11
School: Penn State

Re: Penn State fan here: AMA

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 am
smokeybandit wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 am
getmyjive11 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 pm
Tell me your favorite moonshine flavor and I will purchase some to share pregame.
We are not really big on moonshine up here as we are more geared towards beer. Yuengling is the local beer of choice across PA, but we just call it Lager.
If you're a beer fan though, Yuengling is a pretty meager beer. Plenty of better breweries in PA, and even in State College.
Ill be putting some AMB cans in the recycling bins at State College.....I am a beer snob and there ain’t much better. Having said that I remember the cases of Esquire and Iron City a couple of native PA athletes brought back to Boone after break in the 70’s
Iron City is big in western PA. I’m not a fan of it at all.

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 pm

BTW, if you want a unique experience, I heard that the Rathskeller is going to be selling tge cases of pony bottled Rolling Rocks when they reopen again.

NO.2
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 pm

getmyjive11 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:44 pm
smokeybandit wrote:
getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
Tell me your favorite moonshine flavor and I will purchase some to share pregame.
We are not really big on moonshine up here as we are more geared towards beer. Yuengling is the local beer of choice across PA, but we just call it Lager.
If you're a beer fan though, Yuengling is a pretty meager beer. Plenty of better breweries in PA, and even in State College.
I don’t disagree. It’s cheap and it’s what we grew up on, do it’s a staple. It’s a but humorous watching people in different regions deem it as a premium beer. That’s not what it is or what it is meant to be.
I work in a small redneck town and several of the locally owned restaurants have Yuengling listed under "Craft and Imports." :roll:

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Love Pennsylvania. Got my master's at West Chester. York, Gettysburg, Paoli, King of Prussia, Downington and other great areas.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 pm
getmyjive11 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
I don’t disagree. It’s cheap and it’s what we grew up on, do it’s a staple. It’s a but humorous watching people in different regions deem it as a premium beer. That’s not what it is or what it is meant to be.
I work in a small redneck town and several of the locally owned restaurants have Yuengling listed under "Craft and Imports." :roll:
Haha.

If anyone is coming to the game and is interested in self-serving beer taps, McLanahan’s Downtown Market on Allen St just installed them. They make really good deli sammiches there, so you could get a Hoagie and tap the beer of your choice. Here is the selection and price list (per oz tapped). Notice that Lager is the cheapest, lol:

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm

getmyjive11 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 pm
NO.2 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 pm
getmyjive11 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
getmyjive11 wrote:

Haha.

If anyone is coming to the game and is interested in self-serving beer taps, McLanahan’s Downtown Market on Allen St just installed them. They make really good deli sammiches there, so you could get a Hoagie and tap the beer of your choice. Here is the selection and price list (per oz tapped). Notice that Lager is the cheapest, lol:

Other than the Berkey ice cream, are there any iconic dishes in town?

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:07 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm
Other than the Berkey ice cream, are there any iconic dishes in town?
Probably the next most “iconic” thing is the Stickies.

They come from the Ye Old College Diner right on College Ave, downtown. The place is a DUMP, and I would not eat there if you paid me. The stickies are fantastic though. You can also get them at Wegman’s from time to time.

Other than that, State College is your typical college town, so don’t expect anything too fancy. There are some higher end places like Zola’s or the Allen Street Grill, but most of the local places are a step lower than that.

AAPP1

Unread post by AAPP1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Excited to go up. Was up there 2 years ago when Penn State beat OSU and it was amazing. Any idea if RV passes are sold out or how to get one besides craigslist, stubhub, etc.?

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:09 pm

I am bringing my good ole premium peach shine ..... oh, i can't wait

smokeybandit

Unread post by smokeybandit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Though, while I am a beer snob, Yuengling makes for great tailgating beer.

smokeybandit

Unread post by smokeybandit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 pm

AAPP1 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 pm
Excited to go up. Was up there 2 years ago when Penn State beat OSU and it was amazing. Any idea if RV passes are sold out or how to get one besides craigslist, stubhub, etc.?
I would call them up about getting an RV pass. They are available but in limited quantities.

And I'll happily feed anyone that wants to stop by my tailgate with some homemade 'shine.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:09 pm
I am bringing my good ole premium peach shine ..... oh, i can't wait
Transporting untaxed spirits across state lines? Sounds like you need a 1940 Ford with a V8 instead of whatever you're driving to the game right now.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:06 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 pm
AAPP1 wrote:
I would call them up about getting an RV pass. They are available but in limited quantities.

And I'll happily feed anyone that wants to stop by my tailgate with some homemade 'shine.
I will happily take you up on that with some Boone Beers in return

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 am

AAPP1 wrote:
The white out games are kind of in a class of their own, so the atmosphere probably won’t be a that level. 3:30 games are pretty good though... sometimes the noon contests can be dead. It should be a good environment.

RV passes sell out quickly. You can call the ticket office to see if they have any but I think that would be out by now. If that is the case, there are some companies that park and stock an RV for you that you can rent. It’s a nice alternative.

AAPP1

Unread post by AAPP1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:48 am

Thank you. We actually rent the RV in NC and drive up. Makes the experience more fun. I will see what I can find. Thank you.

getmyjive11 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 am
AAPP1 wrote:
The white out games are kind of in a class of their own, so the atmosphere probably won’t be a that level. 3:30 games are pretty good though... sometimes the noon contests can be dead. It should be a good environment.

RV passes sell out quickly. You can call the ticket office to see if they have any but I think that would be out by now. If that is the case, there are some companies that park and stock an RV for you that you can rent. It’s a nice alternative.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 am

AAPP1 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:48 am
Thank you. We actually rent the RV in NC and drive up. Makes the experience more fun. I will see what I can find. Thank you.

getmyjive11 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 am
AAPP1 wrote:

We wanted to do this but were told all the RV parking was sold out to season ticket holders. The other option was Grange Park which is about 12 miles from the stadium and is the official Penn State Satellite RV Lot. The problem for us was that was first come, first serve. We didn't want to drive up there and not have anywhere to park the RV so we decided to go with http://nittanyrv.com. Not the same experience of driving up from NC in the RV, but will be fun either way!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:42 pm

I hear Penn State fans sing "Sweet Caroline" Neil Diamond between 3rd and 4th Qtr. What are some of the other GameDay traditions in Happy Valley? I'm looking forward to the trip.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:42 pm
I hear Penn State fans sing "Sweet Caroline" Neil Diamond between 3rd and 4th Qtr. What are some of the other GameDay traditions in Happy Valley? I'm looking forward to the trip.
The biggest thing is probably the pre-game marching band performance. They will come out right before the players do and put on a bit of a show. During it, the drum major will perform two running forward flips followed by a split and a salute. If he lands both flips, that’s supposed to be good luck or something. He then takes his staff from the Lion and then the perform some more matching band stuff (spell out “Lions” on the field). Then they form the tunnel for the players to run out through. At that time, the Lion usually pumps the crowd up and then some “We Are...” chants form. Finally, the video board shows the players coming out of the locker room right before they take the field. They run out to cheers and then almost immediately the visiting team runs out and gets boo’d.

During the game, many songs will play that the whole stadium will sing along with. If it rains, you will probably get some CCR’s “Have you ever seen the rain”...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sre-fHGm8c

Also, the Lion will be roaming around... he will probably crowd surf the student section from the bottom to the top.

The biggest tradition though is the tailgating scene, which is second to none. If you walk around it in your App State gear, I guarantee that you will get some free food and drink.

smokeybandit

Unread post by smokeybandit » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Note that the popular stadium song Seven Nation Army originated in the college football ranks by PSU back in 2006.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Penn State has known about Appalachian State almost as long as Michigan has.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”