Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Penn State fan here: AMA

getmyjive11
School: Penn State

Penn State fan here: AMA

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi all...

I just wanted to say that I am excited for the start of the season and hope that you all have a nice visit to Happy Valley. I’m glad that you all are having a successful transition to FBS as It seems that many are picking you to be front runners in the conference this year. I think App St will continue to rise on the national level.

If you want to discuss the game, learn something about this year’s PSU team, or need some tips for State College/gameday, let’s hear it!

BarefootApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Penn State fan here: AMA

Unread post by BarefootApp » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Class.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Welcome to the board. I like getting T-shirt’s from college campuses that I visit. Is there a team shop in the stadium near the visitors section?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to making the trip up. We're staying in Altoona and then driving up for the game on Saturday.

Our team has only 10 seniors on the roster. That makes us an awfully young team. We're replacing two outstanding offensive lineman and a very experienced quarterback, so offense may be an issue until all the new guys get the experience they need.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm
Welcome to the board. I like getting T-shirt’s from college campuses that I visit. Is there a team shop in the stadium near the visitors section?
The stadium has amazing atmosphere and two nice scoreboards. Other than that, it will remind you of a jumbo sized HS stadium. I don’t believe there are any clothing vendors inside it. However, if you walk on the road between Beaver Stadium and the Bryce Jordan Center, there is usually a trailer selling shirts. You can also go downtown and find a ton of options, but the downtown is about a mile from the stadium.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Tell us what we don’t want to hear! I’m a Big Franklin fan. Good Friend of mine ( who passed away 6 years ago) Mark Ewing was a Defensive lineman on the NC team in 1975.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Tell me your favorite moonshine flavor and I will purchase some to share pregame.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 pm

I am App State fan but grew up watching Penn State on Sunday mornings on replay in philly. Most family and friends are Penn State fans.
Praying App State scares the poop out of PSU.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm

What are some of your favorite bars in town?

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm
Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to making the trip up. We're staying in Altoona and then driving up for the game on Saturday.

Our team has only 10 seniors on the roster. That makes us an awfully young team. We're replacing two outstanding offensive lineman and a very experienced quarterback, so offense may be an issue until all the new guys get the experience they need.
The stadium is about 45 mins from Altoona. I would normally describe the drive as picturesque, but I’m not sure it really compares well to Boone.

Young teams can be rough, even if you have talent. We had the youngest and second youngest team in FBS in 2014 and 2015 and went 7-5 in each of those years. In 2016 we won the Big Ten with virtually the same players as the previous year. Bright things ahead for you guys, I’m sure.

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 pm
Tell me your favorite moonshine flavor and I will purchase some to share pregame.
We are not really big on moonshine up here as we are more geared towards beer. Yuengling is the local beer of choice across PA, but we just call it Lager.

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:24 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm
What are some of your favorite bars in town?
The great thing about PSU is that it has a great bar scene downtown. “Downtown” at PSU is a 2 block by 0.75 mike strip right below campus (between College and Beaver Aves). In that area, you have the following:

-Rathskeller - PSU favorite now renovated and set to re-open.
-Saloon - live performances from local bands. Get a “Monkey Boy”
-Lions Den - small sports bar
-Phyrst - Irish Bar
-Brewery - standard basement bar
-Indigo - “club”
-Zeno’s - huge number of beers on tap. Can get a beer passport to mark all that you drink
-Shandygaff - Dance bar
-Cafe 210 West - bar/food/live music
-Local Whiskey - name says it all.
-Adams Apple - older crowd, more relaxed
-Bar Blu - jazz/Sports bar
-Bill Pickles Tap Room - Sports bar
-Champs - large sports bar with a bunch of tvs
-Chumley’s - gay bar
-Sharkies - pool hall and bar. Lots of locals
-Chrome - cocktail lounge
-Mad Mex - Mexican bar

I’m sure I missed one or two. I personally like the Saloon, but you can’t go wrong at most of them.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 pm

In accordance with the App State tradition, we seem to be playing a penn state team with high expectations this season. We seem to get p5 teams when they are playing well overall. What do you consider to be the cutoff for Penn State to have a successful year

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:51 am

getmyjive11 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
We are not really big on moonshine up here as we are more geared towards beer. Yuengling is the local beer of choice across PA, but we just call it Lager.
My in-laws live in Carisle, father-in-law is retired Army, his last duty station was Carisle Barracks. Therefore, they retired there. As individuals with some Italian heritage, they make their own wine (bottle it, label it, everything), it's pretty good dinner wine. Anyway, from time to time my father-in-law does like a shot or two of peach shine. You're correct about Yuengling, living not far from the Yuengling Brewery, the frig in the garage always has plenty of it available. LOL To close, he is a graduate of Ohio State and big Buckeye fan. :)

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 pm
In accordance with the App State tradition, we seem to be playing a penn state team with high expectations this season. We seem to get p5 teams when they are playing well overall. What do you consider to be the cutoff for Penn State to have a successful year
I actually think that we will take a small step back from our last two seasons (both 11-2). We lost some key guys on offense and have a new OC, but I’m not too concerned about that side of the ball. The reasons I’m not concerned are the return of QB Trace McSorley and an offensive line that *should* be the best in Franklin’s five years at PSU. Also, we lost Saquon Barkley but are replacing him with a third year player who was the #1 or 2 RB from his class in HS. We should have enough talent and experience to be close to as productive as we were last year (41 pts per game I think).

Defenses is the concern for me, particularly in the middle. The DT, ILB and S positions are all question marks for us this year. We have young talent for all of those positions but they lack experience. I am a big experience guy. I think we will struggle at those positions throughout the year. Conversely, DE is stacked and CB is very strong as well.

I’m predicting a 9 win season this year. We have a tough in conference schedule this year that I think will wear on the team a bit. 9 wins should be seen as a success with 8 wins being acceptable. Less than that is a real disappointment. This is the year where we find out if PSU is a team that is at the point of reloading or if they still need to rebuild. I can see it going either way.

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:51 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:51 am
getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
My in-laws live in Carisle, father-in-law is retired Army, his last duty station was Carisle Barracks. Therefore, they retired there. As individuals with some Italian heritage, they make their own wine (bottle it, label it, everything), it's pretty good dinner wine. Anyway, from time to time my father-in-law does like a shot or two of peach shine. You're correct about Yuengling, living not far from the Yuengling Brewery, the frig in the garage always has plenty of it available. LOL To close, he is a graduate of Ohio State and big Buckeye fan. :)
PA has a sneaky good wine culture with some quality local selections (or so O have been told). My grandfather also kept a number of homemade wine bottles in his cellar, but he was Canadian.

My X-Mas tree guy is also an OSU fan, and because he lives 10 mins from the stadium, he gets ribbed constantly. To his credit, he doesn’t waiver.

smokeybandit

Unread post by smokeybandit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 am

getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
If you're a beer fan though, Yuengling is a pretty meager beer. Plenty of better breweries in PA, and even in State College.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 am
getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
If you're a beer fan though, Yuengling is a pretty meager beer. Plenty of better breweries in PA, and even in State College.
Ill be putting some AMB cans in the recycling bins at State College.....I am a beer snob and there ain’t much better. Having said that I remember the cases of Esquire and Iron City a couple of native PA athletes brought back to Boone after break in the 70’s

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:09 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 am
smokeybandit wrote:
getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
Ill be putting some AMB cans in the recycling bins at State College.....I am a beer snob and there ain’t much better. Having said that I remember the cases of Esquire and Iron City a couple of native PA athletes brought back to Boone after break in the 70’s
I imagine I'll be bringing some Booneshine up, especially now that Basil's is filling crowlers of the stuff that they only offer on tap.

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:44 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
getmyjive11 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
I don’t disagree. It’s cheap and it’s what we grew up on, do it’s a staple. It’s a but humorous watching people in different regions deem it as a premium beer. That’s not what it is or what it is meant to be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”