Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Break-Out Player on Offense and Defense this Season?

Saint3333

Re: Break-Out Player on Offense and Defense this Season?

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 am
All one needs to do to see how the defense could look at times this season, sans a replacement for Stringer, is to look at the full games and parts of others than Stringer missed.
Big difference preparing all off-season for attrition versus mid-season due to injuries. Stringer was a great player, but Stout and Duck are going to get the new guys in the right place.

If we struggle it will likely be more on loss of coaches.

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:38 pm

ericsaid wrote:
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 am
My picks have less to do with their popularity and more to do with a position change.

Offense: Baer Hunter- Even his name sounds nasty and I think that he will bring that attitude to the position. A coaches son who is smart and will play the right way.

Defense: Austin Exford- With Thomas back this year, it frees up Exford to move into the spot previously occupied by Stringer. No disrespect to the current first teamer, but I think that this role fits Exford and he will get better and better has his reps increase.
If these were the two breakout players, we are going to be looking at a special season. Outside LB and the right side of the line are two areas that I believe to be unknowns right now.
All one needs to do to see how the defense could look at times this season, sans a replacement for Stringer, is to look at the full games and parts of others than Stringer missed.
I agree. Replacing Stringer will be harder to replace than any of the others for the exact reason that you alluded too.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 pm
If they do not RS him, I’m adding Camerun (Cam) Peoples to the list after watch this.
Wow,I had forgotten just how good Camerun's film was! Jump cuts, 2nd gear, you name it , this young man has it! Hoping that we can redshirt him but would understand if they need to get him on the field. :D
What new redshirt Rule? I must have missed it.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:11 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm
MDaniels84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
If they do not RS him, I’m adding Camerun (Cam) Peoples to the list after watch this.
Wow,I had forgotten just how good Camerun's film was! Jump cuts, 2nd gear, you name it , this young man has it! Hoping that we can redshirt him but would understand if they need to get him on the field. :D
You can play up to four games without burning a red shirt.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:12 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm
MDaniels84 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
You can play up to four games without burning a redshirt.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Big difference preparing all off-season for attrition versus mid-season due to injuries. Stringer was a great player, but Stout and Duck are going to get the new guys in the right place.

If we struggle it will likely be more on loss of coaches.
I disagree with your point. I understand what your saying but the drop off in production in Stinger's absence is undeniable. The talent of depth was not there. Sure you can argue that the next man up will have had an entire off season to prepare but they had equal time last off season and the first 6 games to understand the role and understand where they are supposed to be as the backup. The next man up mantra failed mightily for us in that position.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Jordan Fehr is a former student so I am biased but he is a hard worker and a very smart player. I'm looking for him to have a big season.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 pm

goapps wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 pm
Jordan Fehr is a former student so I am biased but he is a hard worker and a very smart player. I'm looking for him to have a big season.
I agree with you. I think that he will be a good one. I think this defense will be very good once they get some game reps under their belt.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Tim Frizzell did a nice job in the pass rush late last season and is a projected starter at OLB.

The big thing to me is how well our D Ends & OLBs play. I expect the middle LBs, DBs and NT to be excellent but we will need the Ends to be better.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 pm

I am conflicted between Zac Thomas and Baer Hunter on the Offensive side of the ball. Of course, I'm hoping they both have an amazing season, and if that happens I would say Baer is the more "breakout" player. Switching sides and having a couple of really big shoes to wear, Hunter having a great season would be a bigger step. I say that knowing that many of us will remember the FBS transition as the Taylor Lamb era and that's certainly a massive role to step into, but I get the feeling that Zac is ready to make this offense his and take it forward.

Defensively, there are more opportunities for "breakout" performances with the holes left to be filled on the ends and at OLB. The middle of the d-line and the defensive back field is stacked with talent, size, and speed. It's that first level edge that really needs one or more breakout performances.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Hitting a few high notes from Tuesday's practice per Appstatesports website...

* Junior safety Josh Thomas had a long interception return for a touchdown during one red-zone session.

* Another safety, senior Austin Exford, had several big hits during the same part of practice.

* True freshman running back Camerun Peoples, who is 6-foot-2, showed off his impressive size and speed on one long touchdown run. He also found a hole and reached the end zone during a red-zone situation.

* D'Andre Hicks also scored a red-zone touchdown as a new option at running back following a redshirt year at cornerback, and graduate transfer Dominique Heath's quickness was apparent on several routes as a receiver.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Personally I am excited to see what happens with Stringers spot. I think we have two really good young men in D'marco Jackson and Tyler Bird who will figure into being a very big part of our teams present and future.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 am

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm
Personally I am excited to see what happens with Stringers spot. I think we have two really good young men in D'marco Jackson and Tyler Bird who will figure into being a very big part of our teams present and future.
I am too. Not concerned about the talent available to take over, rather I am more concerned with the frequency of missed assignments that is always prevalent with newcomers. Missed assignments are always going to happen with younger players. But the missed assignments from that position last year were more glaring than others. They will get better with reps.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Thursday practice highlights per Appstatesports.com #10Strong series article today...

Thomas followed a long run through the middle of the field during Thursday's practice with a touchdown pass to tight end Collin Reed, multi-position threat Darrynton Evans had a touchdown run of 50-plus yards among his two big gains and A'Darius Purifoy made an impressive sliding catch near the sideline.

Defensively, redshirt freshman cornerback Shaun Jolly made a nice play to come up with a sideline interception during one seven-on-seven drill, Clifton Duck prevented a touchdown with an end-zone breakup, Anthony Flory picked off a mishandled pass and freshman outside linebacker Nick Hampton made a tackle for a safety during one possession with the offense backed up.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 am

Stringer will be missed and that is one of the big questions to be answered for this season for the reasons noted above. I will remind myself that the experience gained last season with the missed assignments has probably provided plenty of motivation for the off season. An off season knowing that you are now "the man" can mean a world of difference in college football. It's a very different situation than taking over mid season on short notice. We have a history of young LBs stepping up in these situations and hopefully this year will be part of that pattern.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:13 pm

There is talent all across the lineup .In recent years we seem to upgrade pure athletic ability each season.Experience and the development of depth in a place or two early and I see no reason we aren't playing in the first SBCG.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Per appstatesports.com article after Sarurday’s 120 play scrimmage...

Despite tight coverage in the end zone, senior receiver and new scholarship recipient Brad Absher came down with a contested catch to score a touchdown.

"He earned that scholarship," an Appalachian State teammate shouted from the sideline.

Moments later, safety Josh Thomas picked off a pass at the goal line and sprinted toward the opposite end zone.

The red zone session, much like every segment of App State's 120-play scrimmage Saturday, featured highlights for both the Mountaineers' offense and defense. Possessions in the red zone and close to the goal line capped team workout No. 8 of preseason camp.

"There were some good plays made — good, long runs on offense and many good turnovers made by the defense," App State head coach Scott Satterfield said. "That's what you like to see, particularly down in the red zone on defense. There were some really good individual plays, and you're looking for 11 guys on each side to play as one."

Some of the defensive highlights came from Thomas, who continued a strong camp with two red zone interceptions. Ryan Huff added one, as well, and linebacker Trey Cobb intercepted a pass tipped by a defensive lineman early in the scrimmage. Outside linebacker Akeem Davis-Gaither and cornerback Tae Hayes had sacks in the early going, while Austin Exford and George Blackstock recovered fumbles.

Offensively, the running backs performed well behind the new-look offensive line and quarterback Zac Thomas spread the ball around to Malik Williams, Corey Sutton and several other receivers. Running back Jalin Moore had several double-digit gains early on, and Darrynton Evans rushed for a 65-yard touchdown on his first touch before gaining close to 30 yards on his next carry. Marcus Williams Jr. added a 60-yard run.

While Josh Thomas and Huff came away with the interceptions in the red zone session, there were scores with Absher, Malik Williams and Braden Collins catching accurate throws from Zac Thomas, Jacob Huesman and Jackson Gibbs. Mock Adams came down with a 50-50 ball on a long throw from Stephon Brown prior to that part of practice, and defensive end Chris Willis made a tackle for a safety with the offense backed up against its end zone.

App State's special teams also had strong moments, as Xavier Subotch delivered punts of 59 yards, 54 yards and 47 yards (from his own end zone). Clayton Howell had a punt from midfield downed at the 1-yard line, and Chandler Staton made a 48-yard field goal.

"We threw a lot at them today," Satterfield said. "You're not game-planning. You're just trying to go play ball. There's a lot of good stuff on film to teach off."
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am

Listening to reports from practice has me beyond excited to see Darrynton Evans back on the field. On Defense, I can't wait to see what kind of havoc Okon Godwin creates from that DE spot...

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Wally wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am
Listening to reports from practice has me beyond excited to see Darrynton Evans back on the field. On Defense, I can't wait to see what kind of havoc Okon Godwin creates from that DE spot...
I'm ready to see Evans, Sutton, and Heath.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:38 pm

ASU84 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm
Wally wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am
I'm ready to see Evans, Sutton, and Heath.
And I pray that we have a qb in place by then to get the ball distributed. :|

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”