Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Happy Valley Welcome

Chillisquaque1245
School: Penn State

Happy Valley Welcome

Unread post by Chillisquaque1245 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am

Hello all. I wanted to stop by here and extend an invitation to our tailgate for anyone who makes the trip to the Penn State game. We have a lot of respect for your program. Appalacian State became a program that I admired when in 2007 you took down Michigan. I still think about that today and is probably one of the greatest moments in college football history. Looking at our schedule, I place this game not just as our toughest ooc game but I also place it ahead of some of our B1G opponents. This will be a huge test to see what kind of a team Penn State has and I believe it will be a good indicator of whether or not we can compete for the conference championship. In short this game makes me very nervous. Finally one more thing. I wanted to share a childhood memory. My grandfather was a paritrooper during WWII. His best friend and fellow paritrooper was a great man by the name of John C from North Carolina. I would always love when John and his wife visited here in Pennsylvania from North Carolina. They were some of the finest people you'd ever meet and as a child I particularly loved their accent. Point is they were great examples of the amazing and hospitipal people from your state. Best of luck to your program and safe travels for those who make the trek to central Pennsylvania. For directions to our tailgate please email me at smoore@sjnra.org. In honor of Appalacian Stare we are doing a Western Carolina Style BBQ with some good Yuengling Beer to wash it all down. Hope to see you there.

ASU3432Mi
School: Appalachian State

Re: Happy Valley Welcome

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 am

We'll try to be there. Thanks for the invite.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for the cordial welcome. We're looking forward to the trip to PA.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 am

Kind invite! May show up. We are in the purple lot. You close?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am

Chillisquaque1245 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am
Hello all. I wanted to stop by here and extend an invitation to our tailgate for anyone who makes the trip to the Penn State game. We have a lot of respect for your program. Appalacian State became a program that I admired when in 2007 you took down Michigan. I still think about that today and is probably one of the greatest moments in college football history. Looking at our schedule, I place this game not just as our toughest ooc game but I also place it ahead of some of our B1G opponents. This will be a huge test to see what kind of a team Penn State has and I believe it will be a good indicator of whether or not we can compete for the conference championship. In short this game makes me very nervous. Finally one more thing. I wanted to share a childhood memory. My grandfather was a paritrooper during WWII. His best friend and fellow paritrooper was a great man by the name of John C from North Carolina. I would always love when John and his wife visited here in Pennsylvania from North Carolina. They were some of the finest people you'd ever meet and as a child I particularly loved their accent. Point is they were great examples of the amazing and hospitipal people from your state. Best of luck to your program and safe travels for those who make the trek to central Pennsylvania. For directions to our tailgate please email me at smoore@sjnra.org. In honor of Appalacian Stare we are doing a Western Carolina Style BBQ with some good Yuengling Beer to wash it all down. Hope to see you there.
I will not be at the game, but given this respectful and courteous post from you and some other Penn St fans I wish I could make the game and meet some in person.

I like learning about the schools we play, and some info can be found online of course but if you have anything on Penn St that is nice to know about and also not so well know do share as you have time.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Chillisquaque1245

Unread post by Chillisquaque1245 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 am
Kind invite! May show up. We are in the purple lot. You close?
Yes. We are in the blue lot...which is right next to the purple lot behind the outfield of the baseball stadium.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Chillisquaque1245 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am
Hello all. I wanted to stop by here and extend an invitation to our tailgate for anyone who makes the trip to the Penn State game. We have a lot of respect for your program. Appalacian State became a program that I admired when in 2007 you took down Michigan. I still think about that today and is probably one of the greatest moments in college football history. Looking at our schedule, I place this game not just as our toughest ooc game but I also place it ahead of some of our B1G opponents. This will be a huge test to see what kind of a team Penn State has and I believe it will be a good indicator of whether or not we can compete for the conference championship. In short this game makes me very nervous. Finally one more thing. I wanted to share a childhood memory. My grandfather was a paritrooper during WWII. His best friend and fellow paritrooper was a great man by the name of John C from North Carolina. I would always love when John and his wife visited here in Pennsylvania from North Carolina. They were some of the finest people you'd ever meet and as a child I particularly loved their accent. Point is they were great examples of the amazing and hospitipal people from your state. Best of luck to your program and safe travels for those who make threk to central Pennsylvania. For directions to our tailgate please email me at smoore@sjnra.org. In honor of AppalacianStare we are doing a Western Carolina Style BBQ with some good Yuengling Beer to wash it all down. Hope to see you there.
Thanx for the respect you're showing our institution and for your gracious invitation. Hope your guys win 'em all except the first one. Try to go easy on our young QB!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am

I will not be at the game, but given this respectful and courteous post from you and some other Penn St fans I wish I could make the game and meet some in person.

I like learning about the schools we play, and some info can be found online of course but if you have anything on Penn St that is nice to know about and also not so well know do share as you have time.
Some random facts:

-University Park is PSU’s main campus and holds ~45k students. The total enrollment for all campuses is right at 100k.

-PSU has the largest dues paying alumni association in the world.

-PSU is a top 25 research institution with annual research expenditures topping $800 million. Navy is our largest sponsor despite PSU being land locked.

-PSU is one of the original land grant Universities. As such, we play MSU each year for the Land Grant Trophy, which is the most ridiculous thing you will ever see.

-Despite being called Penn State, we are not considered a true state University. In fact, less than 5% of the annual budget comes from the state. It is very possible that PSU will go fully private in the next 10 years.

-There is a great story out there about Wally Tripplet and how PSU refused to play a game in the Deep South unless Wally (who is African American) would be allowed to play as well. The “WE ARE” chant is marketed as being born from that event. The story is true but the “WE ARE” chant was actually just a marketing tool that the University came up with in the 70s.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I did learn a few things.

Does the state of Penn have any true public universities?

U of Penn is Private, I think, and I think Temple is kind of in that same funding zone as Penn St from what I have read about Temple.

If Penn St goes private what happens to the name? There is already a Univ of Penn.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

getmyjive11

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm
Thanks for the info. I did learn a few things.

Does the state of Penn have any true public universities?

U of Penn is Private, I think, and I think Temple is kind of in that same funding zone as Penn St from what I have read about Temple.

If Penn St goes private what happens to the name? There is already a Univ of Penn.
Temple, PSU and Pitt are all what are described as “State Related” Universities. It’s an odd semi-public, semi-private situation that is unique to PA. There is a reason why Pitt and PSU have the highest and second highest in-state tuition rates, respectively. State appropriations are actually a bit lower now than 20 years ago. Additionally, the operating budget back then was about $1.5 billion while today it is $6.5 billion. Penn State will always be called Penn State, but I just can’t see it continuing as a public institution.

There are 14 smaller Universities within PA that are “true” State Universities. Overall education provided is good, and they come in at about half the cost of PSU. Total enrollment at those 14 Universities combined is about the same as PSU. Most of these school participate in D2 NCAA sports, but a few of them have D1 wrestling programs. With that being said, other states offer student better education for the money.

BlueCreekAppFan

Unread post by BlueCreekAppFan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Great post and great hospitality from nearly all the Penn State fans. I did not see your post in time or we would have come by.

My uncle was a John L. who served in the as a pilot and visited friends from the war in Pennsylvania in the 50s to 70s...not the same one I am sure, but he always spoke kindly of his brethren from PA.

Good luck on the rest of your season PSU. Time will tell whether we both are the match we were out there today.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:23 am

BlueCreekAppFan wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 pm
Great post and great hospitality from nearly all the Penn State fans. I did not see your post in time or we would have come by.

My uncle was a John L. who served in the as a pilot and visited friends from the war in Pennsylvania in the 50s to 70s...not the same one I am sure, but he always spoke kindly of his brethren from PA.

Good luck on the rest of your season PSU. Time will tell whether we both are the match we were out there today.
I'll second that. Penn State fans were tremendous.

BlueCreekAppFan

Unread post by BlueCreekAppFan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 am

The respect continues... in the lobby at breakfast this morning, in restaurants on the edge of town last night....the PSU fans are respecting App State and the way our team played yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, a win would have been sweet, but the sting of the loss does not feel as bad as I thought it would today.

smokeybandit

Unread post by smokeybandit » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 am

In my 20 years as a penn state season ticket holder, I've never seen opposing fans as enthusiastic and loud as app state fans. Well done.

While I don't think psu underestimated app state talent-wise, I do think psu underestimated their mettle that led to that 4th quarter flurry . Your qb will do some damage

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 am
In my 20 years as a penn state season ticket holder, I've never seen opposing fans as enthusiastic and loud as app state fans. Well done.

While I don't think psu underestimated app state talent-wise, I do think psu underestimated their mettle that led to that 4th quarter flurry . Your qb will do some damage
From a co-worker who is a PSU Alum. I asked her about the standing ovation at the end of the game

Yeah the App St tunnel is directly under where I sit and when App St walked into the tunnel, we all stood and cheered for them. It was something I have never seen.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

PSU_QBKeeper

Unread post by PSU_QBKeeper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 am

getmyjive11 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am

Some random facts:

-University Park is PSU’s main campus and holds ~45k students. The total enrollment for all campuses is right at 100k.

-PSU has the largest dues paying alumni association in the world.

-PSU is a top 25 research institution with annual research expenditures topping $800 million. Navy is our largest sponsor despite PSU being land locked.

-PSU is one of the original land grant Universities. As such, we play MSU each year for the Land Grant Trophy, which is the most ridiculous thing you will ever see.

-Despite being called Penn State, we are not considered a true state University. In fact, less than 5% of the annual budget comes from the state. It is very possible that PSU will go fully private in the next 10 years.

-There is a great story out there about Wally Tripplet and how PSU refused to play a game in the Deep South unless Wally (who is African American) would be allowed to play as well. The “WE ARE” chant is marketed as being born from that event. The story is true but the “WE ARE” chant was actually just a marketing tool that the University came up with in the 70s.
as a matter of fact the WE ARE chant was pretty much stolen straight up from USC.....the addition of a little pause between the WE ARE and the PENN STATE was the only real modification....I do love it though....sounds awesome when the crowd really gets it going

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”