Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Video Preview - Penn State

MountaineerMafia
School: Appalachian State

Video Preview - Penn State

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot5zv0eYhWw

Had upload issues from Monday but it's up now. A few new tricks this year but still working on the quality. Have to see if I can get a youtube downloader for the video clips.

Really looking forward to this weekend as I was grown up on Penn State football, my parents live in PA, and my son (almost 5 months) will be taking in his first football game!

I'd love to go with my heart over my brain here but I think Penn State may just be that good!

However, I'm App State all day and bleed black and gold (yellow)! Go Apps!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

ASUTodd

Re: Video Preview - Penn State

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Penn St is going to cream us.... and they should. We lose by at least 30.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:47 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm
I fear that could be fairly accurate but hoping for better than that. It's both teams first game and maybe the young guys play above a level that didn't even know they had.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:31 am

Think we all just hope for the best, but don't know if anyone of us (that is sane) expects to win.

Do really hope the uneasy feeling about QB play I have is proven false.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:54 am

Too many unknowns with this game, especially with a new QB at the helm. Hopefully we can keep it respectable, maybe Penn State will be too focused on the Pitt game next week and we can scare them.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am

Agreed on all fronts. I just had a friend up in PA text me this morning;

'All of the Penn State pregame articles are very cautious about this game...looks like y'all are getting lots of respect up here'.

I LOVE to hear that! I told him about the changes we have coming into the season though and that we will come to play but we will have our growing pains too.

For me, I'm just so pumped to be going, seeing family, and the only 2 teams I've really ever supported, playing each other on opening weekend of college football. The only thing that would bring me down is really crappy weather. An App win would be icing on the cake!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:47 am

Everything I've seen from up there is guess 40+ for them and mid-teens for us. Not so sure about the respect.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm

I've mostly seen that too. He lives about 3 hours southeast in Lancaster, PA so he may be talking about the local stuff there, not necessarily the stuff in (& closer to) State College.

tnave94

Unread post by tnave94 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
How bout.............no

They’re replacing 8 starters on defense. Run defense is their weakness. Running is our strength. We are deepest at skill positions than we have ever been.

If our defense shows up to play we’ll be just fine.

App90

Unread post by App90 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm

tnave94 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
How bout.............no

They’re replacing 8 starters on defense. Run defense is their weakness. Running is our strength. We are deepest at skill positions than we have ever been.

If our defense shows up to play we’ll be just fine.
Tnave94...shhh u might just be right, but dont tell no one.......Ive seen some things on both sides, that if ASU comes to play it could be a game......

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 am

Penn State Offense led by HEISMAN candidate McSorley is going to go FAST at us. Hope our coaches are prepared....it will be difficult to sub in and out against a top notched high speed jet offense especially with McSorley who can improvise on busted plays. I see a long day for App.
KICK ASS!!!

getmyjive11
School: Penn State

Unread post by getmyjive11 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:31 pm

CornCobPipes wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 am
Penn State Offense led by HEISMAN candidate McSorley is going to go FAST at us. Hope our coaches are prepared....it will be difficult to sub in and out against a top notched high speed jet offense especially with McSorley who can improvise on busted plays. I see a long day for App.
We don’t huddle, but we usually don’t go fast. We get to the line and then get the in the right play. Teams can sub against us, they just have to be organized about it.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Even though I predicted us to win on the other thread- refuse to ever pick us to lose, this game might be closer to the Miami affair. As is typical of these kind of matchups we simply can’t get caught with a deer in the headlights deal. We have to control the ball and it’s imperative that we have guys in position quickly. Miami killed us with the quick hitters and some dumb plays took us out right off the bat. We have the skill guys to make things happen but we have to establish the run and control some clock.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm

IF, and hear me again IF, we can run the ball, we MIGHT keep it close UNTIL a referee or a turnover takes the game away.
I think we have a fighting chance.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:37 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm
Even though I predicted us to win on the other thread- refuse to ever pick us to lose, this game might be closer to the Miami affair. As is typical of these kind of matchups we simply can’t get caught with a deer in the headlights deal. We have to control the ball and it’s imperative that we have guys in position quickly. Miami killed us with the quick hitters and some dumb plays took us out right off the bat. We have the skill guys to make things happen but we have to establish the run and control some clock.
Yep. One thing I always wonder about as far as that damn Miami game...how much closer would the game have been if Cox's touchdown had stood and he hadn't been injured and out for 3 quarters of the game...he was a beast against Tennessee.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:24 am

The Miami game was a mess, but we played better than the score indicates. The first play from scrimmage was a long TD run for Miami but we defended the run pretty well for the remainder of the game. Later in the game, they found that bubble route that exploited a matchup against our true freshman corners (now a seasoned All-American Junior) and landed a couple of long passes that most NFL QBs would envy.

It's not like they were pushing us around all over the field. It was painful to watch but that how it goes sometimes. Miami was the better team but not by as much as the score indicates.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Pull a Michigan. Spread that defense out and take pressure off of the line. Fight size with speed and try to move the 8th man out of the box. Penn State is replacing a lot on defense and if App's offense takes more of a spread approach than the pistol-option, 1960's and 70's look, there should be an ability to move the ball. Get the backs involved in the passing game and force the defenders to make decisions by using motion. Lining up and turning one way or other other with different types of blocks isn't going to make much of a dent, as we saw last season against Georgia.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”