Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN Bowl Predictions After Week #1

87ASUgrad
School: Appalachian State

ESPN Bowl Predictions After Week #1

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am

Did anyone else see this and it is probably too early to care what they say?.?.?.
ESPNs Kyle Bonagura and Mitch Sherman made their bowl predictions after week one (link below). It is kinda depressing after the game our boys played this weekend to get these projections. I know there are conference ties with bowls and all, but we gotta get more love than this if our guys play out the rest of the season on fire like they did at PSU. What higher considered bowls could we possibly get as a Sunbelt team?

Sherman has us going to the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Southern Miss.
Binagura has us back in the Dollar General Bowl vs. Toledo.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ons-week-1
Give Em Hell!!

MAD Doctor

Re: ESPN Bowl Predictions After Week #1

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 am

I realize this will change at least 11 more times, but a Toledo rematch from 2017 or a Southern Miss rematch from 2018 would both be awful. And Stink in New Orleans???

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 am

Unless we made it to the NY6 game (which isn’t happening now), we are going to end up going to the same bowls every year. I don’t want to think about it yet, but yes, we will end up in orlando, New Orleans, or Alabama again.
YNWA

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:24 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 am
I realize this will change at least 11 more times, but a Toledo rematch from 2017 or a Southern Miss rematch from 2018 would both be awful. And Stink in New Orleans???
I wouldn't say a NY6 is completely out of the question at this point.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:49 am

Let's not get depressed about a bowl until we win 11 more games...........

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:51 am

Most everything I see recently is that we still suck and PSU just played horrible. ESPN power rankings have PSU at 22 now.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 am

If you didn't need any other reason to be skeptical of those bowl projections, note that while Sherman did put is in the New Orleans Bowl, Bonagura put Georgia Friggin Southern in that spot instead. Do you think they gave those dirtbags that spot because of their victory over SC State last week? (An SC State that went 3-7 last year?) Or is it because they don't even bother to read their notes about SBC teams and they know that projections this early are darts on a wall?

Perception of our week one changes with two teams winning often and convincingly: Us and Penn State.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am

They probably only really care to project from the top down. Seriously doubt that there is much analysis for the lower tier bowls, especially from week to week. The tie-ins will hamper us until either they change or we move to another conference. It’s pretty simple- NY6 or one or two of the same old same ole.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm

You don’t put up the kind of points we did against PSU in the 4th quarter and chalk it up to “luck” or “PSU is just not that good”. Look at history...... our Defense beat up a Tenn team that (despite a bad year) put up big points on teams back in ‘16, gave a high scoring Wake team fits, and basically ended Eason’s career at UGA. Our offense was not strong enough to keep our defense off the field in the past, now it is. Satterfield made the most of our talent in that game and Zac delivered. Is PSU what they were last season, maybe not...... is App State a Top 25 Team, probably not. But to say PSU just sucks this year and App isn’t a significant G5 Power is LAZY reporting. This team did not do anything that shocked many of us who knew the talent we have been harvesting over the last few years.

Based on some of the sh**ty play I saw from other “Top 25” teams this weekend, I’d argue App State should be taken very seriously right now. I’m fired up and ready to see this team run up some scores on our competition, starting this weekend in my home town! Go Friggin Black and Gold!
The Appalachian State

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:16 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm
You don’t put up the kind of points we did against PSU in the 4th quarter and chalk it up to “luck” or “PSU is just not that good”. Look at history...... our Defense beat up a Tenn team that (despite a bad year) put up big points on teams back in ‘16, gave a high scoring Wake team fits, and basically ended Eason’s career at UGA. Our offense was not strong enough to keep our defense off the field in the past, now it is. Satterfield made the most of our talent in that game and Zac delivered. Is PSU what they were last season, maybe not...... is App State a Top 25 Team, probably not. But to say PSU just sucks this year and App isn’t a significant G5 Power is LAZY reporting. This team did not do anything that shocked many of us who knew the talent we have been harvesting over the last few years.

Based on some of the sh**ty play I saw from other “Top 25” teams this weekend, I’d argue App State should be taken very seriously right now. I’m fired up and ready to see this team run up some scores on our competition, starting this weekend in my home town! Go Friggin Black and Gold!
Perfectly stated! Disappointed in the loss but over the moon excited about what this year's team is about to show us...and the nation!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm

After watching us play this weekend, we could win the rest, and will probably be favored in all of them. I felt this same way however in 2007 after beating Michigan, and we lost 2 conf games. My hope is that we beat the crap out of those we should beat, and win anyway possible against those that should be close. Go PSU, down with Boise and UCF, and us at 11-1. That would be exciting for sure.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

If memory serves me we lost two games the year we beat Michigan. I think we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. We have just a couple more games to play this season.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:28 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm
If memory serves me we lost two games the year we beat Michigan. I think we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. We have just a couple more games to play this season.
That was an FCS program. This is an FBS program with higher level and volume of recruits. Most of these guys played at higher levels in HS and realize there are more scholarship athletes waiting behind them for their chance, there is no room for “let downs” because that could cost them their starting spot. I’m not knocking those boys from ‘05-‘08 because I graduated long before we transitioned to FBS, but this is a different era of App State football and they should expect better as players/coaches, and I sure know that I expect better.

Michigan is a great memory to reflect back on, especially for what that game did for our psyche and our program.... but that Michigan game has nothing to do with THIS team. Jerry is retired, Armanti, Kilgore, Dex, Corey are gone..... the Michigan game does not define this program. What defines this program is the legacy that App State is never scared, we bring our ALL, and we are ready any day and any time.........We have proven that many times since ‘07.
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:28 pm
bcoach wrote:
That was an FCS program. This is an FBS program with higher level and volume of recruits. Most of these guys played at higher levels in HS and realize there are more scholarship athletes waiting behind them for their chance, there is no room for “let downs” because that could cost them their starting spot. I’m not knocking those boys from ‘05-‘08 because I graduated long before we transitioned to FBS, but this is a different era of App State football and they should expect better as players/coaches, and I sure know that I expect better.

Michigan is a great memory to reflect back on, especially for what that game did for our psyche and our program.... but that Michigan game has nothing to do with THIS team. Jerry is retired, Armanti, Kilgore, Dex, Corey are gone..... the Michigan game does not define this program. What defines this program is the legacy that App State is never scared, we bring our ALL, and we are ready any day and any time.........We have proven that many times since ‘07.
Completely agree on all points. I have and will probably always have a framed copy of the SI after that win...but, I wish folks could move on. Even today there have been several references to the Michigan game and some who said that “we nearly pulled off another Michigan type win”. Our program is completely different from an overall talent standpoint and there should be a lot less shock and awe when we compete within the heavyweight division. We all joke that we seem to get a big boy team on the rise or at the top. Maybe it has something to do with the payout we get. There are a bunch of P5’s who never rank very high- some never whom we could try to schedule. We could take a shot at Kansas, Iowa State, Oregon State, Arizona, etc.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 pm
appstatealum wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Completely agree on all points. I have and will probably always have a framed copy of the SI after that win...but, I wish folks could move on. Even today there have been several references to the Michigan game and some who said that “we nearly pulled off another Michigan type win”. Our program is completely different from an overall talent standpoint and there should be a lot less shock and awe when we compete within the heavyweight division. We all joke that we seem to get a big boy team on the rise or at the top. Maybe it has something to do with the payout we get. There are a bunch of P5’s who never rank very high- some never whom we could try to schedule. We could take a shot at Kansas, Iowa State, Oregon State, Arizona, etc.
I pretty much agree with everything here and I just want to point out that our guys were pretty banged up in that Michigan game. Without having the depth that 22 additional scholarships bring and also, I believe we're generally bigger now even down 2 or 3 deep, so we weren't able to rotate guys out like we can now. So the team that faced Michigan didn't have enough time to heal and I believe that contributed significantly to those 2 conference losses in that 2007 season...especially the Wofford loss.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I want to say we only played 26 different people (I'm assuming that doesn't count special teams) when we played Michigan. We were beat up after that game. We're leaving the Penn St game in much better shape. Our FBS roster depth shows. Honestly, if you look at the Michigan game just the difference in our players size vs theirs was incredible. We looked the part Saturday when we lined up against Penn St.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 pm

appstatealum wrote:
bcoach wrote:

We are also playing against a higher level and volume. Let downs are not confined to FCS. I would also point out that the games we lost that year were against other FCS teams. I sure hope we run the table but just as Michigan does not define our program neither does PS. We have a lot of football to play and my next worry is this Saturday. No big deal I am just saying it is not yet time to beat our chest. We have a ways to go.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm

IDK. If we can win the rest of our games and some of the big G5 schools (Memphis, UCF, Boise St) start blowing games, we may have a chance since we came SOOOOO close to beating Penn State. NCAA may want to see another nail biter

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm

97APP wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm
I want to say we only played 26 different people (I'm assuming that doesn't count special teams) when we played Michigan. We were beat up after that game. We're leaving the Penn St game in much better shape. Our FBS roster depth shows. Honestly, if you look at the Michigan game just the difference in our players size vs theirs was incredible. We looked the part Saturday when we lined up against Penn St.
One of the quick things I noticed while watching the replay. They weren't especially bigger than us. We looked like we belonged on that field.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 pm
appstatealum wrote:
bcoach wrote:

We are also playing against a higher level and volume. Let downs are not confined to FCS. I would also point out that the games we lost that year were against other FCS teams. I sure hope we run the table but just as Michigan does not define our program neither does PS. We have a lot of football to play and my next worry is this Saturday. No big deal I am just saying it is not yet time to beat our chest. We have a ways to go.
Great point. I get the feeling that these guys do not want to settle on Mediocre Bowls and they have not reached the heights of that ‘07 team who was coming off a Title. This generation of kid seems to be more motivated when they feel like they have to prove themselves. I’ll be devastated and embarrassed if I have to walk out of JRich Stadium with a loss to Charlotte.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”