Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

APP STATE 12 Votes Top 25 coaches poll.

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: APP STATE 12 Votes Top 25 coaches poll.

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm
I watched the Boston College/Wake game and BC did not look that impressive. They've got a good running back but that's about it. Also, BC only has wins over bad teams-Wake is probably the best win they have and it was kind of close...so too early to tell but you can make an argument right now that we're better than BC based on what we've seen but it is too early...as with most things...time either exposes or elevates. Bottom line is that our team, at the very least, has tremendous potential and we're amazingly the 2nd (or 3rd?) youngest team in the FBS.
Their QB threw for 279 yards and 5 TDs. I'd say they have more than just a good RB.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm

We have the most talented team in recent memory if not history. Time will tell if we are worthy of being ranked. I for one am trying real hard not to get my head in the clouds and think this year will be a cake walk. Sun Belt play will be tough and it appears most teams have improved and all will play up and hard against us. With that said in the rankings ahead of us are UCF, Boise, USF and San Diego in the AP where we got no votes. All those plus StAte, Troy and Fresno getting votes on Coaches poll. Strength of Schedule will hurt us in the end I am affraid and we will not see a NY6 this year. Without multiple losses from the ones already ranked higher than us no way. With that said I am getting anxious about the rest of the season to see if can throttle every team we play and see what happens. Looking forward to the victories and dreading the disappointment on the ones we fall short in. You Say?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Unfortunately, Our season relies on us (APPSTATE) running the table and Penn State finishing number 1 in the country going into the playoffs. If we blow everyone out and they blowout everyone and put a beat down on Ohio State, we have a chance at the NY6. If UCF runs the table i think they will be in the CFP Playoff.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm
I watched the Boston College/Wake game and BC did not look that impressive. They've got a good running back but that's about it. Also, BC only has wins over bad teams-Wake is probably the best win they have and it was kind of close...so too early to tell but you can make an argument right now that we're better than BC based on what we've seen but it is too early...as with most things...time either exposes or elevates. Bottom line is that our team, at the very least, has tremendous potential and we're amazingly the 2nd (or 3rd?) youngest team in the FBS.
Their QB threw for 279 yards and 5 TDs. I'd say they have more than just a good RB.
Yeah, you're probably right about their QB, however Boston College hasn't really been tested based on their strength of schedule to date.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 pm
If we run the table we’ll be ranked by November.

And asking “who are you sure we’re better than” is the wrong question, because you can just as easily turn it around: Are you *sure* Boise is better than App? Boston College? No way to be sure, it’s just opinions.

We’re not there yet, but if we keeping winning while others lose, we’ll get there.
Sorry, I stand by my comment. To vote Appalachian St. in the top 25 you do have to be *sure* we are better than all but twenty-four teams. There is no reason a voter would give App the "benefit of the doubt" over a Bosie St., BYU, Central Florida... They have earned a second look in a way we haven't. I am VERY proud of this team. But the past matters. Troy's wins over LSU and Nebraska earn them a bit more respect (poll-wise) than losses to Tennessee, Wake, and a VERY impressive Penn St. have earned us. I am not saying it's fair, but reputation matters and we are (hopefully) building one that gets us there. Right now, I think our reputation is as a good opponent.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am
Unless we beat them by 50+, we might lose votes.
If App is up 35 points at halftime, that would likely be inline with how most P5's would perform. Style points for a team in App's position matter. The game against Charlotte, while not completely dominant on the score sheet, was dominant based on the fact that App was rotating in true freshman basically the entire game given the new Redshirt rule.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am
EastHallApp wrote:

And asking “who are you sure we’re better than” is the wrong question, because you can just as easily turn it around: Are you *sure* Boise is better than App? Boston College? No way to be sure, it’s just opinions.

We’re not there yet, but if we keeping winning while others lose, we’ll get there.
Sorry, I stand by my comment. To vote Appalachian St. in the top 25 you do have to be *sure* we are better than all but twenty-four teams. There is no reason a voter would give App the "benefit of the doubt" over a Bosie St., BYU, Central Florida... They have earned a second look in a way we haven't. I am VERY proud of this team. But the past matters. Troy's wins over LSU and Nebraska earn them a bit more respect (poll-wise) than losses to Tennessee, Wake, and a VERY impressive Penn St. have earned us. I am not saying it's fair, but reputation matters and we are (hopefully) building one that gets us there. Right now, I think our reputation is as a good opponent.
For LSU to move up to Number 6, voters have to be sure they are better than maybe 5 teams in the Top 25. For Alabama to get more votes, they have to put up 63 on a team that Southern Illinois was beating into the 3rd quarter, and hung 47 points and over 600 yards of offense on.

At this point, it's all conjecture. App proved their worth against Penn State, even in a loss. Now to get in the Top 25 they need to go out and beat Troy, Georgia Southern, and Arkansas State, while making sure they don't trip up when the inevitable midseason injuries begin.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am
EastHallApp wrote:

*psst* We got more votes than Troy this week.

Carry on.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:24 am

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm
If we run the table, unlikely, and look impressive doing it, again, unlikely; we will set ourselves up to be a preseason top 25 team next year. Returning 10 starters on offense. Three of our top 4 RBs. A large amount of defensive productivity as well. We are playing for recognition in 2019.
If App runs the table, including the conference championship game, they will be ranked during bowl season. App increased their points in the Coaches poll without even playing.

Assuming App wins out, they will likely be in discussion for the At-Large bid, while ultimately losing it. However, being in the conversation is a great recruiting tool for finally getting there. Home and homes with Boise State would be great for the spirit of the G5 as two of the most successful programs in FCS to FBS transitions faced off.

Also, the Sun Belt conference has 3 teams receiving votes in the coaches Top 25. For all the people who were upset about App not going to C-USA, it seems like the Sun Belt may have been the better fit.
The Sun Belt was the perfect league for us to transition up to the FBS because it was a weaker conference at the time. Since they were a weaker conference it allowed us to keep winning (excepting of course the 1st half of the 1st season). If we had moved up to a stronger conference like the AAC, we'd be losing more and fan interest would plummet and there would have been even more screamers about going back to FCS and general unhappiness and bitching like we witnessed mid-way through last season. Winning begats winning so we're able to grow our program and with our growth we're actually helping to elevate the Sun Belt and who knows, in the not too distant future there could be another conference affiliation opportunity and we'll have a winning tradition and tremendous fan support to make our case. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run...our transition is going to be a case study on how to do it successfully.
Considering the AAC was never an option, the debate over what the Transition would've looked like in the AAC is moot. The fact is that App went to the conference that wanted them and there was a huge benefit to that; the Sun Belt went against was was believed to be conventional wisdom at the time and went for culture over markets. People watch football, not depending on their location, but based upon the programs strength. Corporate money may flow into Charlotte more easily, but because they aren't a hot market commodity they aren't bringing in more recognition for the C-USA.

If anything, the Sun Belt has made a case study of how to cut dead weight and add programs with sustainable growth and have shown the ability to win consistently. Outside of Georgia Southern's inability to run any offense but the option and win, both schools have been the model of consistency for the better part of nearly 30 years. The Sun Belt then cut perennial losers New Mexico State and Idaho while letting FIU and FAU out of the conference.

Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee would be nice to have in the conference, sure. But overall it would appear that App, Coastal, and Georgia Southern are on pace to be more successful programs than WKU, MTSU, FIU, and FAU. Addition by subtraction by changing the business model of the conference appears to have been a successful choice.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:24 am
Rick83 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
If we run the table, unlikely, and look impressive doing it, again, unlikely; we will set ourselves up to be a preseason top 25 team next year. Returning 10 starters on offense. Three of our top 4 RBs. A large amount of defensive productivity as well. We are playing for recognition in 2019.
If App runs the table, including the conference championship game, they will be ranked during bowl season. App increased their points in the Coaches poll without even playing.

Assuming App wins out, they will likely be in discussion for the At-Large bid, while ultimately losing it. However, being in the conversation is a great recruiting tool for finally getting there. Home and homes with Boise State would be great for the spirit of the G5 as two of the most successful programs in FCS to FBS transitions faced off.

Also, the Sun Belt conference has 3 teams receiving votes in the coaches Top 25. For all the people who were upset about App not going to C-USA, it seems like the Sun Belt may have been the better fit.
The Sun Belt was the perfect league for us to transition up to the FBS because it was a weaker conference at the time. Since they were a weaker conference it allowed us to keep winning (excepting of course the 1st half of the 1st season). If we had moved up to a stronger conference like the AAC, we'd be losing more and fan interest would plummet and there would have been even more screamers about going back to FCS and general unhappiness and bitching like we witnessed mid-way through last season. Winning begats winning so we're able to grow our program and with our growth we're actually helping to elevate the Sun Belt and who knows, in the not too distant future there could be another conference affiliation opportunity and we'll have a winning tradition and tremendous fan support to make our case. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run...our transition is going to be a case study on how to do it successfully.
Considering the AAC was never an option, the debate over what the Transition would've looked like in the AAC is moot. The fact is that App went to the conference that wanted them and there was a huge benefit to that; the Sun Belt went against was was believed to be conventional wisdom at the time and went for culture over markets. People watch football, not depending on their location, but based upon the programs strength. Corporate money may flow into Charlotte more easily, but because they aren't a hot market commodity they aren't bringing in more recognition for the C-USA.

If anything, the Sun Belt has made a case study of how to cut dead weight and add programs with sustainable growth and have shown the ability to win consistently. Outside of Georgia Southern's inability to run any offense but the option and win, both schools have been the model of consistency for the better part of nearly 30 years. The Sun Belt then cut perennial losers New Mexico State and Idaho while letting FIU and FAU out of the conference.

Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee would be nice to have in the conference, sure. But overall it would appear that App, Coastal, and Georgia Southern are on pace to be more successful programs than WKU, MTSU, FIU, and FAU. Addition by subtraction by changing the business model of the conference appears to have been a successful choice.
Well I guess we know Karl Benson's username on YC. :D

Actually, a well thought out look at how things panned out over the last few years.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:24 am
Rick83 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I agree with everything you've posted here; we didn't really have a choice on a conference but I tire of hearing the Sun Belt negativity thrown around by some on this board so I was just pointing out that, although initially disappointing, the Sun Belt was actually a perfect spot to land to help us through the transition and keep winning...which is key to the program's growth.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 am

I realize that the hardcore guys don’t want to hear this and I am fully aware of the “don’t want to be in the FCS talk” but considering the number of really good G5 teams how cool would a G5 8 team playoff be? Imagine a home game against, say a Boise be? This topic has been beaten to death but the cold reality remains, we ain’t gonna play for the National Championship.

This brings up another question. Would you trade a crappy bowl game for a possible one and done home game in December against a top 8 G5?

Bored and jonesing for football

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 am
I realize that the hardcore guys don’t want to hear this and I am fully aware of the “don’t want to be in the FCS talk” but considering the number of really good G5 teams how cool would a G5 8 team playoff be? Imagine a home game against, say a Boise be? This topic has been beaten to death but the cold reality remains, we ain’t gonna play for the National Championship.

This brings up another question. Would you trade a crappy bowl game for a possible one and done home game in December against a top 8 G5?

Pass. Our bowl situation needs improvement but this isn’t the way imo.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 am

Bowl game. A crappy bowl game garners more exposure than a titanic matchup of another good G5.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 am

Do the same as the championship playoffs. Do a 4 or 8 team G5 playoff and use the games as bowls.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:41 am

Ah crap. Not this again.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:35 am

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are past that.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Instead of trying to rig the system to meet our needs, we need to get better. We win that game at Penn State and we are a ranked ball team right now, right in the NY6 discussion. I'd take an Orange Bowl game versus someone like Georgia or Wisconsin over a G5 championship game against San Diego State, full respect to the aztecs.

Win our games and we don't need to worry about anything else. It's that simple (executing on the other hand is a whole different story!).
YNWA

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:11 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 pm
Instead of trying to rig the system to meet our needs, we need to get better. We win that game at Penn State and we are a ranked ball team right now, right in the NY6 discussion. I'd take an Orange Bowl game versus someone like Georgia or Wisconsin over a G5 championship game against San Diego State, full respect to the aztecs.

Win our games and we don't need to worry about anything else. It's that simple (executing on the other hand is a whole different story!).
Gosh, it's like winning the games folks pay attention to matters. That is a rigged system. There is absolutely no reason to focus on the polls. I'm paying attention to the ACC; they have a lot of bowl slots for a conference (ex Clemson) my not be better than the American.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:16 pm

For what it is worth, Sagarin's computer has us ranked 38th after GW game. Up from 41st. last week.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”