Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

APP STATE 12 Votes Top 25 coaches poll.

GregPercussion
School: Appalachian State

Re: APP STATE 12 Votes Top 25 coaches poll.

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:30 pm
An OT loss is better than a loss especially a blowout loss....Playing at Penn State. The home crowd on almost all counts is worth three points in football. (NFL/College spreads)

I agree it is early, but if Penn State continues to blow out people away or home. Our OT Loss should look better and better.

I don't believe we should have more votes now but IF we run the table.....The Penn State * should be in front of all the talking heads.

Same as the year with Tennessee. Tennessee didn't back it up enough.

GO PennState!!!!!!

Top 25/matters to recruits and I think worth our time as a fan base to put some PR behind it.
I don't think we're anywhere close to being in the top 25. To reference a thread the other day about our "should have won games". We have to start turning these into some great Wins.
Boise's standard is what we should shoot for. If we go undefeated the rest of the season, we'll see.

One day we'll be ranked, next year, seems like some good odds if we can shut down both UNC and South Carolina, and Charlotte again, that would turn some heads.

Lets get some actual wins!

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, I agree ... sort of. Yes, we need to win some more of these games.

For the record, I note that Penn State blew out Pitt in the rain 51 - 6 at Pitt.

The OT loss looks better.

IMHO, this is the best App team I have ever seen, at every position, and as a team. By far.

The two teams on our schedule that concern me are Ark.State & Troy.

Having said that, I predict victory over both. Go Apps!

One more point. If we can take this team into Kenan Stadium next year and lay an epic whoopin' on the tar heels, that would be great!

Then, we get S.C. later in the season next year. No reason we cannot beat them too.

But first, this year.

Can I order my tickets for the Champ game now, or do I actually need to wait for the season to end?

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:06 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:16 pm
East, I think we 100% agree. Look, I'm VERY impressed with our team two games in. I think we look good, real good, but "App good", "G5 good", but we are not one of the best 25 teams in the country. The point I was trying to make about the others receiving votes is that Arkansas St. got a vote. Heck they may be waaaaay better than we are, but who in the world thinks that after a win vs SE Missouri St. and a half hundo loss to Alabama thinks they are one of the 25 best teams in the country? I just think looking at the votes in polls is a waist of time.
Don't remember who said it after the Penn State game, but I think it is fair and true. "App State is a very good team, but they are not SEC or Big10 very good, they are Sun Belt/G5 very good."

Just win, and the recognition will show up eventually.

It's just like Trump beating Hillary in the election or Naomi Osaka beating Serena Williams at the US Open. The elites don't like an outsider doing well or worse yet winning, so they will ignore the outsider until they get beat and can no longer ignore it. Then they will make excuses, boo and jeer, look for cheating, and belittle the outsider. That is the way of things. Boise went through those phases, and still does to some extent. The only way to fight against it is to put your head, get to work, and continue to win.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Pretty lame analogy.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 am

We got another vote this week in the coaches poll! Up to 13 after an off weekend.
Troy gets 4 votes this week after beating Nebraska.
Arkansas State gets 2 votes after beating Tulsa.
How many votes will we get next week after beating Gardner-Webb I wonder?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
Give Em Hell!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

Unless we beat them by 50+, we might lose votes.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm

<<<<said before.......Idont care abut a "Poll" 1,2,3.......11 games into a season....
Win the conference with a 10-1 record and I'll start the lobbying. It isnt how you start it's how you finish.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Have to get recognized early in the season to be there at the end though.

It’s why I hate FBS. You have to have a big name and be ranked in top ten preseason to have a chance at a championship.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:01 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm
Have to get recognized early in the season to be there at the end though.

It’s why I hate FBS. You have to have a big name and be ranked in top ten preseason to have a chance at a championship.
We will never have a chance at a championship until they goto a true deeper playoff instead of a made for TV championship.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:36 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am
Unless we beat them by 50+, we might lose votes.
Don't think we'll gain or lose votes based on anything we do against GW (assuming we blow them out, which I think is a safe assumption). Just have to keep winning and letting teams ahead of us lose.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
<<<<said before.......Idont care abut a "Poll" 1,2,3.......11 games into a season....
Win the conference with a 10-1 record and I'll start the lobbying. It isnt how you start it's how you finish.

That makes sense if you're looking at it purely in terms of the team's accomplishment. In terms of value to the program, though, I think the earlier you can get (and stay) ranked, the better. Let fans and recruits see App State on the Top 25 scoreboard every week with a little number by our name.

As much as I'd love us to be ranked at the end, I doubt many people notice who the #23 team is in the postseason poll. (Though I'm sure we'd promote the hell out of it if we're there, and rightfully so.)

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm going to ask this again: which team in the top 25 are you sure App is better than?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Alls I'm sayin' is that we stood toe-to-toe with the currently ranked #9 team, the #9 team who has totally obliterated their other 2 opponents since playing us, and who got the benefit of some very timely and sketchy calls, and we've hammered a peer G5 team while test-driving a bunch of freshmen...if we stay healthy this team will crack the top 25. Love seeing our name listed!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm
Alls I'm sayin' is that we stood toe-to-toe with the currently ranked #9 team, the #9 team who has totally obliterated their other 2 opponents since playing us, and who got the benefit of some very timely and sketchy calls, and we've hammered a peer G5 team while test-driving a bunch of freshmen...if we stay healthy this team will crack the top 25. Love seeing our name listed!
I AGREE! But that's not how the polls work. It takes one voter who thinks we're the 25th best team in the country to get one vote. The AP is right. As a fan, I focus on the next game, on the schedule in front of MY team. If we had won the Penn St. game, there's an argument. But RIGHT NOW, it's not hard to count five G5 teams that I'm not sure we are better than. Boise St. has earned respect over the past decade that we (and Notre Dame) hasn't. And there are some really good teams in the American

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm

App now has 13 points in the Poll. It's probable that Southern Miss's coach went back and watched App's games only to realize he is better off for having recommended not playing the game.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm

If we run the table, unlikely, and look impressive doing it, again, unlikely; we will set ourselves up to be a preseason top 25 team next year. Returning 10 starters on offense. Three of our top 4 RBs. A large amount of defensive productivity as well. We are playing for recognition in 2019.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm
If we run the table, unlikely, and look impressive doing it, again, unlikely; we will set ourselves up to be a preseason top 25 team next year. Returning 10 starters on offense. Three of our top 4 RBs. A large amount of defensive productivity as well. We are playing for recognition in 2019.
If App runs the table, including the conference championship game, they will be ranked during bowl season. App increased their points in the Coaches poll without even playing.

Assuming App wins out, they will likely be in discussion for the At-Large bid, while ultimately losing it. However, being in the conversation is a great recruiting tool for finally getting there. Home and homes with Boise State would be great for the spirit of the G5 as two of the most successful programs in FCS to FBS transitions faced off.

Also, the Sun Belt conference has 3 teams receiving votes in the coaches Top 25. For all the people who were upset about App not going to C-USA, it seems like the Sun Belt may have been the better fit.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 pm

If we run the table we’ll be ranked by November.

And asking “who are you sure we’re better than” is the wrong question, because you can just as easily turn it around: Are you *sure* Boise is better than App? Boston College? No way to be sure, it’s just opinions.

We’re not there yet, but if we keeping winning while others lose, we’ll get there.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm

I watched the Boston College/Wake game and BC did not look that impressive. They've got a good running back but that's about it. Also, BC only has wins over bad teams-Wake is probably the best win they have and it was kind of close...so too early to tell but you can make an argument right now that we're better than BC based on what we've seen but it is too early...as with most things...time either exposes or elevates. Bottom line is that our team, at the very least, has tremendous potential and we're amazingly the 2nd (or 3rd?) youngest team in the FBS.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm
If App runs the table, including the conference championship game, they will be ranked during bowl season. App increased their points in the Coaches poll without even playing.

Assuming App wins out, they will likely be in discussion for the At-Large bid, while ultimately losing it. However, being in the conversation is a great recruiting tool for finally getting there. Home and homes with Boise State would be great for the spirit of the G5 as two of the most successful programs in FCS to FBS transitions faced off.

Also, the Sun Belt conference has 3 teams receiving votes in the coaches Top 25. For all the people who were upset about App not going to C-USA, it seems like the Sun Belt may have been the better fit.
The Sun Belt was the perfect league for us to transition up to the FBS because it was a weaker conference at the time. Since they were a weaker conference it allowed us to keep winning (excepting of course the 1st half of the 1st season). If we had moved up to a stronger conference like the AAC, we'd be losing more and fan interest would plummet and there would have been even more screamers about going back to FCS and general unhappiness and bitching like we witnessed mid-way through last season. Winning begats winning so we're able to grow our program and with our growth we're actually helping to elevate the Sun Belt and who knows, in the not too distant future there could be another conference affiliation opportunity and we'll have a winning tradition and tremendous fan support to make our case. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run...our transition is going to be a case study on how to do it successfully.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”