Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FLORENCE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM

WXAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: FLORENCE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Tighter grid modeling starts getting a hold of this monster later Tuesday and Wednesday. We'll have a better understanding of rainfall potential for the high country by then. For App officials, it's a tough call. With luck, one that can be made later Wednesday.
Twitter: @wxcrum

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm

This is making its rounds tonight. Too funny:
01ECAAFE-05CF-486B-BF5F-282DDE1AA518.jpeg

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Seems to me the only real options are to delay to Sunday if the storm doesn't do too much damage in Boone or...and I don't know if this is possible logistically on short notice but just play the game at Southern Miss. We need this game to keep getting ready for conference play and I have no idea what financial impact the move would have but I don't see any other option. Some other venue, seems like a stretch at this point but stranger things have happened. I'm sure Gillin & Co. are weighing all of the options and I trust their judgement.
Work out some deal with Southern Miss either financially or for them to play 2 more in Boone down the road.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:02 pm

No way would App agree to give a program two home games for one with five days notice.

Put yourselves in the other shoes when considering alternatives, it take two to cut a deal.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 pm
Seems to me the only real options are to delay to Sunday if the storm doesn't do too much damage in Boone or...and I don't know if this is possible logistically on short notice but just play the game at Southern Miss. We need this game to keep getting ready for conference play and I have no idea what financial impact the move would have but I don't see any other option. Some other venue, seems like a stretch at this point but stranger things have happened. I'm sure Gillin & Co. are weighing all of the options and I trust their judgement.
Work out some deal with Southern Miss either financially or for them to play 2 more in Boone down the road.
I think I've seen in the past with other situations like this that if the game was moved to Hattiesburg, would still technically be an App State home game where we get to wear our own (black?) uniforms and all of the perks that come with hosting a game. I'd think there would also be some sort of revenue share between the schools for compensation too. I'm not sure, but I remember a few years ago hurricanes forced teams to switch it up a bit and it worked.

Coastal already moved their game to Wednesday at Campbell, The Citadel/CSU game is apparently going to be played at another location TBA. UNC, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson, USC and UNCC/ODU are still in wait and see mode.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 am

Moving it to Southern Miss is not like a Southern Miss home game. They won’t have sold tickets, have concessions, security, etc. lined up. May or may not have full band, etc. they would piece it together, have a fairy small crowd or have cheap tickets, have 2/3 of the support staff, etc. if they will come back to Boone for 1 game later, not 2, I am fine with that as a fair way to get this one in if the weather is too bad to try here.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:07 am

Off topic a little but why would you cancel classes the rest of the week starting this evening and strongly encourage students to leave campus but there is no decision yet on whether to play football.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:19 am

Two years ago South Carolina moved their home game with LSU to Baton Rouge because of the flood. They were designated the home team and I believe received the gate dollars. I’m sure they lost a lot of money but it was an alternative. One difference there though, it was a conference game; ours is not.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:50 am

Ray's weather says we should be ok for game Saturday...maybe some rain but not bad til Sunday.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 am

The newer tracks are very encouraging for the High Country. The farther north it goes the less likely the heavy rains adversely affect Boone. I expect to play in Boone.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am

Even if we are ok to play Saturday isn’t there an issue with folks driving west from all points east of Boone on Friday? Even though the campus and Boone area might be ok people don’t need to drive west especially in strong winds. Driving on the highway in even 40 MPH winds can be dicey

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:13 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am
Even if we are ok to play Saturday isn’t there an issue with folks driving west from all points east of Boone on Friday? Even though the campus and Boone area might be ok people don’t need to drive west especially in strong winds. Driving on the highway in even 40 MPH winds can be dicey
Just dont drive 65!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:14 am

and bring the sedan. leave the high profile vehicles at home

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am

If the football gets teed up on Saturday, my family will be there. My voice is just coming back from this past Saturday in Charlotte,
The Appalachian State

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:29 am

I have tickets to the game Saturday, but I also have a 7kw generator and 50 gallons of gas on hand in preparation for living several days "off the grid" should the grid be knocked out down here. Landfall being pushed back to Thursday night and then a slow crawl through Friday is bad news.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 am

My daughter is supposed to tour campus on Friday and we are staying up for Saturday’s game. I’m hoping all is not affected, as we are really kind of getting out of the storm path through Central Virginia.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 am

Scary part is I might have to head to Wilmington tonight. I’m from there and my parents still live there. My dad works for the hospital and we are unsure if they are going to recall all of the clinical staff during the storm. I don’t want to leave my mom and grandmother at the house by themselves. We are in the middle of town at 40+ feet of elevation and flooding isn’t an issue there but it’s gonna be a hell of a storm on the beaches and along the river. With a potentially 15ft storm surge the houses on the beach will be taking direct impacts from waves and the river is gonna overflow

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 am
Scary part is I might have to head to Wilmington tonight. I’m from there and my parents still live there. My dad works for the hospital and we are unsure if they are going to recall all of the clinical staff during the storm. I don’t want to leave my mom and grandmother at the house by themselves. We are in the middle of town at 40+ feet of elevation and flooding isn’t an issue there but it’s gonna be a hell of a storm on the beaches and along the river. With a potentially 15ft storm surge the houses on the beach will be taking direct impacts from waves and the river is gonna overflow
Will be praying for you and your family...and everyone on the coast. This looks like a killer storm for sure.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am

I'm not worried about getting to Boone...I'm worried about there being gas to fill the car up for the drive. Stations in Raleigh are already out of gas...hopefully there aren't as many panicked yankees in the Triad as there are here.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:27 am

Boone Goon wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am
I'm not worried about getting to Boone...I'm worried about there being gas to fill the car up for the drive. Stations in Raleigh are already out of gas...hopefully there aren't as many panicked yankees in the Triad as there are here.
Truth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”