Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Troy

MountaineerChemist10
School: Appalachian State

Troy

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 am

Do you guys agree, or am I the only one who feels Troy has become our biggest SunBelt rival since joining the conference in '14? Yes, GSU & us go way back but I feel more hatred (in a friendly way) towards Troy than the Eagles.

GregPercussion

Re: Troy

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 am

A good rivalry, is one that is an even match, and is always exciting.
There's a few factors with GSU, they dropped off a bit in the past couple years, Thursday games are cool, but there's noting like a great & well-attended Saturday game day. They were a rival by default just cause of our history.
Troy is filling our need to have a strong rival right now where GSU isn't. Kinda like Western in the last 10 years of the series of the jug.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am

The Troy match-up Thanksgiving weekend is going to be the game of the year in the Sun Belt

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:09 am

Think there is probably more anger towards Ark St give their online fan base. But Troy is in our half of conf and GS fell down a little recently.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 am

biggie wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:09 am
Think there is probably more anger towards Ark St give their online fan base. But Troy is in our half of conf and GS fell down a little recently.
This for sure, they made us change our name for goodness sake to join the conference. I hate those guys....not as much as I hate GS but close. Right now our only apparent rivals for championships are Troy and Ark State; that will change but that's the deal at the moment.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:33 am

I'd rather lose to Troy than to either Arky State or GaSo. Troy is probably our closest peer, however, as they are similarly successful and are more classy than the other two.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am

I don't see Troy as a rival but more of the team to beat. I feel more of a mutual respect between the two programs as both know they can take each other down at any meeting and have.

Georgia Southern will probably always be our top rival due to our history and it will continue so long as we are in the same conference. It just feels week because they're in rebuilding mode.

Out of the new folks, Troy can't hold a candle to stAte when it comes to a punchable, obnoxious fanbase that you want to root against at every turn you can. They're like the Cowboys & Earnhardt fans of the G5.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 am

Georgia Southern will remain our traditional rival due to the history. It looks like they are returning to form, so at least it should be a decent game this year otherwise the shine could have continued to dim.

Troy has tons of potential as a rival but Arkansas State definitely has more negative emotion and knee jerk "we gotta beat these guys" reaction from most App fans at this point. Not playing Ark State doesn't seem to have diminished the mutual dislike. Troy is more of a mutually respectful thing (mostly).

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

I have been waiting on someone to start a thread on Troy.

Anyone catch their game with Nebraska? Troy went up there & popped the Cornhuskers on the nose 24 - 19. Not sure Nebraska is all that good this year though.

And, my take on Troy is that they are REALLY big, and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SLOW.

We probably don't want to run the ball up the middle much, but the outside edge is ours for the taking. And, our D will do fine.

I believe they will not like to be up in Boone in late November. I also believe, this is the size vs. speed matchup that we have been waiting for. Go Apps!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm

The recent Troy games have been hard fought nail biters and this year should be the same. They were not intimidated their last trip to KBS in the Halloween marathon game that we were fortunate to win.
While I’d rather whip Ark. State, we really need the W against Troy to make it to the conference championship. We will be really tested in the SBC this year, with the possibility of 3 games vs Ark. State and Troy, and a possibly tough test at Stink. A whole lot of football coming our way. We need to stay healthy and take teams one at a time.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:05 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am
I don't see Troy as a rival but more of the team to beat. I feel more of a mutual respect between the two programs as both know they can take each other down at any meeting and have.

Georgia Southern will probably always be our top rival due to our history and it will continue so long as we are in the same conference. It just feels week because they're in rebuilding mode.

Out of the new folks, Troy can't hold a candle to stAte when it comes to a punchable, obnoxious fanbase that you want to root against at every turn you can. They're like the UNC-CHeat, Cowboys & Earnhardt fans of the G5.
This all day, and I updated it for you. 8-)
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:15 pm

MtnDevil95 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:05 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am

Out of the new folks, Troy can't hold a candle to stAte when it comes to a punchable, obnoxious fanbase that you want to root against at every turn you can. They're like the UNC-CHeat, Cowboys & Earnhardt fans of the G5.
This all day, and I updated it for you. 8-)
Well, Blake Anderson did come over from UNC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”