Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Confirmed: No cups with Ice 2018

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Confirmed: No cups with Ice 2018

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 am

I don’t see how selling bottles is a good idea. They’re too easy to throw. I’d rethink this post-haste.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 am

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 pm
This can’t be true...remember how they boasted about wonderful refrigeration last time they pulled this crap? As one of the original rabble rousers to this former ordeal, this won't stand imho. I’d love to know who came up with this lil ditty?
Sic' em, PBR! Atta boy! :lol:

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:56 am

Why is this a repeating issue? Cups and ice are basic items one can expect to see at any football game from high school and up. Why does it seem to be a concept we struggle with in Boone?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:21 am

biggie wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 pm
While we are at it has Cheerwine ever been offered?
It won't happen.... Dr Pepper is part of the exclusive Pepsi deal App State signed. Cheerwine is considered a competitor.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Any talks about the university going with Coca-Cola products in the future? I'd settle for RC Cola before Pepsi.
Pepsi just dropped a hefty number to secure the campus for more years. We will have to settle on "flat coke" from the Mountain Dew Co. for another period of years.

I would be ok with this if they had a beer garden or a BYOC policy (bring your own Coke)
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Any talks about the university going with Coca-Cola products in the future? I'd settle for RC Cola before Pepsi.
Highest bidder sells us their products.
Pepsi always outbids Coke.
I think they should go to 2 year alternating contracts !!!!
It sure does help to have that Frito Lay money to invest in RFPs when going up against the greatest nonalcoholic beverage in the world. Most people will choose a lesser quality drink if a $100 bill was wrapped around it. Captive audience at a venue, most people will settle on whatever is available since the alternative is not getting a drink. If they had Coke, I'd probably buy twice as many drinks per season. What makes them more money? If people buy more drinks, or the back end contractual cash?
The Appalachian State

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Highest bidder sells us their products.
Pepsi always outbids Coke.
I think they should go to 2 year alternating contracts !!!!
It sure does help to have that Frito Lay money to invest in RFPs when going up against the greatest nonalcoholic beverage in the world. Most people will choose a lesser quality drink if a $100 bill was wrapped around it. Captive audience at a venue, most people will settle on whatever is available since the alternative is not getting a drink. If they had Coke, I'd probably buy twice as many drinks per season. What makes them more money? If people buy more drinks, or the back end contractual cash?
That is why they should have it go back and forth in 2 year deals.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 am

Kick them both out and go with SUNDROP!
Bring Your A Game!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

I don't care how good the refrigeration is, on a sunny day the plastic bottles get warm very quickly and warm Pepsi suxx. I strongly prefer cups with ice and will pay extra for it. Also the profit margin on fountain vs. bottled drinks is astronomical so why not do cups with ice and fountain soft drinks plus save the environment from the plastic bottles.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 am

Save the earth from Plastic bottles is the right direction to take this to get our ice back.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am
I don't care how good the refrigeration is, on a sunny day the plastic bottles get warm very quickly and warm Pepsi suxx. I strongly prefer cups with ice and will pay extra for it. Also the profit margin on fountain vs. bottled drinks is astronomical so why not do cups with ice and fountain soft drinks plus save the environment from the plastic bottles.
All true, and excellent arguments .

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

Maybe a school non profit can petition to sell souvenir cups and ice at the games?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 am

Ask the cup no ice question tonight on Mountaineer talk.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Hmmm lessons never really learned. UNCC may stink at football, but their concessions were really top of the class.

DG, I trust, took some notes. Oddly, if he's not fully aware of how this stuff is done, I have an older brother who's and expert... he's been helping overseeing the City of Charlotte venues, and contracts, for about 30 years. Lunch or a campus visit can be arranged.
Twitter: @wxcrum

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am
Maybe a school non profit can petition to sell souvenir cups and ice at the games?
And have another long line to stand in? No thanks!

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:12 pm

I have not posted here in a couple of years because I am dag gone busy....but this does it.

This issue does not need to be revisited. A simple survey monkey to the Yosef Club members and season ticket holders whom they have email addresses for would have generated enough response to know this was a very bad idea.

This it ridiculous.

There will be warm drinks in the coolers.
This is not a real problem....but now it is!
The second a drink hits your hands or sits outside of ice it will warm up.
I do not go to the game to eat brisket tacos....I tailgate for the food and the companionship....I go to the game to cheer on the team....I want ice in cups to keep my drink cool.....just like the old boys in the suites.

Again.

This is not well thought through.

Just my two cents.
Go APPS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:46 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am
There is a lot of costly logistics involved with fountain service over bottles/coolers. With that being said, Fountain is absolutely more profitable and the best approach is to have a combination of both. With 25,000 average attendance, Kidd Brewer better be severely over assetted with coolers to ensure NO ONE ever receives a warm or semi warm beverage. A double door cooler fits about 560 bottles, a triple door can handle around 860. Soda is meant to be served ice cold, period. There is only one thing worse than Pepsi, and that is a warm Pepsi.
Like WXAPP’s brother, I’ve been doing contracts and partnership management for over 10 years and am extremely familiar with this situation and the one at UNCHarrisburg. It will only take one hot weekend, perhaps this weekend, where a few people get a lukewarm drink and food services will have a serious problem on their hands.
The Appalachian State

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Ok. I spoke with Pam Cline, the director of food services. She said App was trying to enhance the game day experience with new choices in concessions areas. She opined about brisket nachos and fresh popcorn and fresh pretzels. Big whup! Gimme a Luke warm dog and an ice cold cup /ice and I’ll be happier than pigs in $hi+! She said that it wasn’t just her directive but a group effort with other leadership folks including athletic department. Now, I drink...yes, I even have an adult beverage when offered but let me be clear...This isn’t about liquor drinks. It’s about the east side being hot as hell in the afternoon with aluminum bleachers making it hotter. When this happened before, I mentioned to the powers that be that we’d pay extra for a cup with ice...so a .05 cent plastic cup and .05 cents of ice got you a 90% return(theoretically). So ill take credit for making APP all that money..and they did. As mentioned, coolers cannot keep drinks cold...period. Those doors are always gonna be opened and closed, open and closed. Rule one in mommas kitchen...keep the damn fridge door closed to keep things cold. This ain’t gonna work. A drink in your 98.6 degree hand will warm up pretty fast and it’s also a safety issue...people need to stay hydrated and cool. My dad’s 85 and it’s not good for him and others to endure with a flippin warm drink because “we don’t have the proper space/facilities” for ice. BS...straight out BS. I’m mad...because we are the customer. We pay money for season tickets and Yosef club but now we are gonna get piss warm soft drinks while we get to look up at the suites while those folks drink beer, liquor, and of course...ice...ice cold ice...ice socold that it makes ice babies...and we get piss warm drinks.
What a joke! Oh and for those not familiar with me... I’ll jump outside of my screen name...I’m John harris..Boone...and I donate nearly $2k a year painting and upkeep of the “A” on the hillside before every home game, just in case someone wants to comeback on me and say instead of bitching, I should pony up more money to get better seats in the club area. It’s about the fans...the regular, run of the mill fan who wants to have a true game day experience and this screws the pooch.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm
Ok. I spoke with Pam Cline, the director of food services. She said App was trying to enhance the game day experience with new choices in concessions areas. She opined about brisket nachos and fresh popcorn and fresh pretzels. Big whup! Gimme a Luke warm dog and an ice cold cup /ice and I’ll be happier than pigs in $hi+! She said that it wasn’t just her directive but a group effort with other leadership folks including athletic department. Now, I drink...yes, I even have an adult beverage when offered but let me be clear...This isn’t about liquor drinks. It’s about the east side being hot as hell in the afternoon with aluminum bleachers making it hotter. When this happened before, I mentioned to the powers that be that we’d pay extra for a cup with ice...so a .05 cent plastic cup and .05 cents of ice got you a 90% return(theoretically). So ill take credit for making APP all that money..and they did. As mentioned, coolers cannot keep drinks cold...period. Those doors are always gonna be opened and closed, open and closed. Rule one in mommas kitchen...keep the damn fridge door closed to keep things cold. This ain’t gonna work. A drink in your 98.6 degree hand will warm up pretty fast and it’s also a safety issue...people need to stay hydrated and cool. My dad’s 85 and it’s not good for him and others to endure with a flippin warm drink because “we don’t have the proper space/facilities” for ice. BS...straight out BS. I’m mad...because we are the customer. We pay money for season tickets and Yosef club but now we are gonna get piss warm soft drinks while we get to look up at the suites while those folks drink beer, liquor, and of course...ice...ice cold ice...ice socold that it makes ice babies...and we get piss warm drinks.
What a joke! Oh and for those not familiar with me... I’ll jump outside of my screen name...I’m John harris..Boone...and I donate nearly $2k a year painting and upkeep of the “A” on the hillside before every home game, just in case someone wants to comeback on me and say instead of bitching, I should pony up more money to get better seats in the club area. It’s about the fans...the regular, run of the mill fan who wants to have a true game day experience and this screws the pooch.
Preach it Brother John! It all comes down to the fact that turning away from cups/ice seems bush league. It seems like something an FCS team would do. If we're going to be "onward and upward" in every way then that has to be the mantra for even the silliest or smallest (in the grand scheme of things) details. This certainly isn't the biggest detail, but it's definitely not the smallest either, as evidenced by the outcry. If you've been on the board for more than a minute you know the fight that it took to convince TPTB, the fight that PBR (and others) fought on all of our behalfs, to move something as simple as cups and ice from a duh! moment to reality. And now, just like that - poof, they're gone. Unacceptable! I'm sure DG wasn't the sole decision maker, or maybe even the primary shot-caller on this decision, but at the end of the day I hope he has the veto-power to make a quick 180...otherwise, he'll be the guy that will ultimately get the heat, and I don't mean those hot drinks!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:52 pm

My son goes to a 1A high school in Southwest Virginia. They have souvenir cups with ice at every football and basketball game.

This is a stupid decision.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”