Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield's contract extended!!!

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satterfield's contract extended!!!

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Guys....a multi million multiple year deal at a school Satt wants and he will be playing at a new school...
Satt ain’t afraid to move. He was in Fla and Ohio.....remember?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm
Guys....a multi million multiple year deal at a school Satt wants and he will be playing at a new school...
Satt ain’t afraid to move. He was in Fla and Ohio.....remember?
Yes, but he knew he most likely had first dibs on Jerry's job when Jerry retired. Some posters on here claimed Satterfield came back with he and Cobb's under the table understanding that he was to be the head coach in waiting.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am
Mack sits as a talking head, and never ever mentions he had a cup of coffee at APP when he has had opportunity, case in point the day APP should have won in Happy Valley. Not one peep from his smug arse.
A few years ago I spoke at the University of Georgia to perspective broadcast talent. There was a kid who wanted to get into sports broadcasting who did an all student ran Georgia sports broadcast. He had props, he had jokes, he was wacky. Every other student in the class laughed when he played his demo and every other panelist said how great his energy was. I said, "I'll bet you go to school here". He puffed his chest out and said "you bet". I replied "if you ever want to make it out of the state of Georgia as a sports broadcaster you're gonna have to learn to shut that down". He looked at me like I'd just burst his bubble but I was trying to help him.

National level sports broadcasters DO NOT wear their alma maters on their sleeve nor do they behave as cheerleaders for schools where they worked in the past.

And to specifically touch on your point I have seen Mac Brown mention App State before on College Football Live.

Yes, but you would seldom or even ever see or hear the UNC folks mention that Mack got his start and first head coaching position at App.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 am

So? I don't need Mack Brown to stop down every show he's on TV to tell us we're great.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:14 am

The argument of leaving for more money is a valid one. But the average tenure of a head coach in college football is 3.8 years. How many of you would choose 20 years making $500K + and love what you do and where you are doing it over $1.5K for 3 or 4 years, with no guarantee that you will be there long enough to make roots or build a culture?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 am

One aspect of any contract that can be given to Satt are the relatively low bonuses tied in. If we remain in the Belt our probable bowl opportunities will stay the same, with low attendance and limited exposure. The overall level of the teams in the conference most likely will stay the same- App, Troy, Ark and maybe Stink at the top with mostly garbage after that. We will have to rely on huge out of conference wins to have any shot at loftier levels. Can we ever pay him seven figures? I don’t know but probably not. All comes down to personal happiness and desire.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 am

A lot of wishful thinking in this thread

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am

No doubt.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am

A buddy of mine used to work at Liberty in ticket office, now he's in charge of NCSU's football and basketball ticket sales but I digress...I asked him how in the world could Liberty University have so much money to spend for such a relatively small school and he said: Online students. They have a huge number of online students (the exact number escapes me) pouring money into that school, so much so that Liberty is tearing down 5-year old buildings and rebuilding them because they have that much cash on hand. They've expanded their stadium immensely as well...I wish App State had a stronger online presence for a myriad of reasons, but that influx of cash could do wonders to not just our football program, but to ALL of our programs.
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:59 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am
A buddy of mine used to work at Liberty in ticket office, now he's in charge of NCSU's football and basketball ticket sales but I digress...I asked him how in the world could Liberty University have so much money to spend for such a relatively small school and he said: Online students. They have a huge number of online students (the exact number escapes me) pouring money into that school, so much so that Liberty is tearing down 5-year old buildings and rebuilding them because they have that much cash on hand. They've expanded their stadium immensely as well...I wish App State had a stronger online presence for a myriad of reasons, but that influx of cash could do wonders to not just our football program, but to ALL of our programs.
For sure, App really needs to step up it's online degrees especially offering ones like the MBA and MPA.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
"The real driver of growth at Liberty, it turns out, is not the students who attend classes in Lynchburg but the far greater number of students who are paying for credentials and classes that are delivered remotely, as many as 95,000 in a given year. By 2015, Liberty had quietly become the second-largest provider of online education in the United States, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education, its student population surpassed only by that of University of Phoenix..."

"By 2017, Liberty students were receiving more than $772 million in total aid from the U.S. Department of Education — nearly $100 million of it in the form of Pell grants and the rest in federal student loans. Among universities nationwide, it ranked sixth in federal aid. Liberty students also received Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, some $42 million in 2016, the most recent year for which figures are available. Although some of that money went to textbooks and nontuition expenses, a vast majority of Liberty’s total revenue that year, which was just above $1 billion, came from taxpayer-funded sources."

"By 2016, Liberty’s net assets had crossed the $1.6 billion mark, up more than tenfold from a decade earlier. Thanks to its low spending on instruction, its net income was an astonishing $215 million on nearly $1 billion in revenue, according to its tax filing — making it one of the most lucrative nonprofits in the country, based simply on the difference between its operating revenue and expenses, in a league with some of the largest nonprofit hospital systems."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/maga ... nline.html

I live about an hour west of Lynchburg and drive through there six-seven times a year and each time through there is some major construction project underway. I confess to having a great dislike for the place but what they are doing is impressive.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:14 am
The argument of leaving for more money is a valid one. But the average tenure of a head coach in college football is 3.8 years. How many of you would choose 20 years making $500K + and love what you do and where you are doing it over $1.5K for 3 or 4 years, with no guarantee that you will be there long enough to make roots or build a culture?
Any and every coach in college football is going to take a swing at the big time if they get the chance. Just like every regular worker is going to take a swing at a bigger job with more money. I would hope you would have confidence in yourself to get the job done. It’s not a matter of if Satt leaves, all that’s left to settle now is when.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
I'd take the 6 million of 4 years, get fired, and move back to Boone to retire - making extra cash every once and awhile as a talking head on ESPNU or as a spokesman or consultant for my alma mater

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Mac Brown must read this message board because he literally just listed App State as one of his "3 teams to watch that nobody's talking about" behind UCF and South Florida.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:07 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 am
appaneer1984 wrote:
"The real driver of growth at Liberty, it turns out, is not the students who attend classes in Lynchburg but the far greater number of students who are paying for credentials and classes that are delivered remotely, as many as 95,000 in a given year. By 2015, Liberty had quietly become the second-largest provider of online education in the United States, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education, its student population surpassed only by that of University of Phoenix..."

"By 2017, Liberty students were receiving more than $772 million in total aid from the U.S. Department of Education — nearly $100 million of it in the form of Pell grants and the rest in federal student loans. Among universities nationwide, it ranked sixth in federal aid. Liberty students also received Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, some $42 million in 2016, the most recent year for which figures are available. Although some of that money went to textbooks and nontuition expenses, a vast majority of Liberty’s total revenue that year, which was just above $1 billion, came from taxpayer-funded sources."

"By 2016, Liberty’s net assets had crossed the $1.6 billion mark, up more than tenfold from a decade earlier. Thanks to its low spending on instruction, its net income was an astonishing $215 million on nearly $1 billion in revenue, according to its tax filing — making it one of the most lucrative nonprofits in the country, based simply on the difference between its operating revenue and expenses, in a league with some of the largest nonprofit hospital systems."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/maga ... nline.html

I live about an hour west of Lynchburg and drive through there six-seven times a year and each time through there is some major construction project underway. I confess to having a great dislike for the place but what they are doing is impressive.
And all those numbers just keep rising. Liberty is now at over $3 Billion in gross assets, almost $2.5 Billion in net assets, not to mention $1.7 Billion in cash-on-hand and investments. The school's endowment is now in excess of $1.5 Billion. And they've now passed $1 Billion in spending on new facilities in just the past decade or so...and it never ends. 7,000 Full-Time employees and growing. No matter how you slice it - the sheer "numbers" at Liberty are off the charts.

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... fc836.html

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 am
So? I don't need Mack Brown to stop down every show he's on TV to tell us we're great.
Who said any differently?
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I'd take the 6 million of 4 years, get fired, and move back to Boone to retire - making extra cash every once and awhile as a talking head on ESPNU or as a spokesman or consultant for my alma mater
Not the same as doing what you love the most for the remainder of your career. Reminder, Jerry Moore was offered a relatively cushy job at a relatively reasonable salary when he was non-renewed as Head Coach at ASU. He turned it down.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 pm

appaneer1984 wrote:
And cheapen the degree we on campus and the ASU/Boone experienced attendees made earning our degrees. Who says an online student actually does the work him/herself? Nothing but a gloried high tech correspondence course. Bogus. Besides having a beer while sitting in front of a computer is not the same as having a couple with your buds after classes at an off campus watering hole. Am I wrong?
Google SUX

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:52 pm

My niece is getting her Master’s degree through App online.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:34 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 pm
appaneer1984 wrote:
And cheapen the degree we on campus and the ASU/Boone experienced attendees made earning our degrees. Who says an online student actually does the work him/herself? Nothing but a gloried high tech correspondence course. Bogus. Besides having a beer while sitting in front of a computer is not the same as having a couple with your buds after classes at an off campus watering hole. Am I wrong?
A million times YES
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”