Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

APP STATE up to 25 Votes Top 25 coaches poll

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: APP STATE up to 25 Votes Top 25 coaches poll

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:37 pm
Do some of you good folks really think that there are not at least 25 teams better than App at this point?
There are not 25 teams in this country that I believe to be better than App State. If anyone thinks that there are then they obviously haven't watched any games or don't understand football.
Memphis? Houston? I've watched a lot. It's not who you think we'd beat. Its who you think we're better than. BYU? Bosie St.? NC St.? S. Florida? Houston?
I think this debate is probably going to keep going in circles as long as it keeps getting raised anew every week. Whether any particular fan believes App should be ranked or not, the point is that we are gaining votes every week in one of the actual polls. Some of us find that to be interesting and encouraging.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 am
Let me preface this by saying I don't believe App has done enough to garner a top 25 ranking and it's still very early in the season so all this will change. However, I do want to point out a few instances of obscene bias shown in the AP poll.

One AP voter (Neil Ostrout) put VT at #12 after their 2 TD loss to then 0-3 ODU. Another voter (Jon Wilner) has the Ducks at #12 fresh off a loss and ahead of UCF & Penn St. respectively.

Even those these teams are not ranked, the voting does not make sense. The 2-1 Utes received love from 3 different voters, giving them 9 ORV, with wins over "powerhouses" Weber St. and NIU while losing to conference foe Washington by 2 TD's. On the flip side, Buffalo is 4-0 with wins over Del St., @Temple (AAC), EMU (MAC) and @Rutgers (B1G) and come in with 6 ORV. Granted the Owls and Knights aren't great teams but to me, Buffalo's resume looks way better than Utah's.

Some of these voters should have their privilege revoked!
What irks me about Buffalo, none other than the AP voter from the Winston-Salem Journal voted for them at #24. He also doesn’t even list us on his short list of schools to “watch.” Out of any of the voters, one would hope we get some hometown support, considering the seemingly increased notice taken by the coaches.

Connor O’Neill is his name and he is an Elon graduate. Here is a link to his ballot:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/m ... a123b.html

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 pm

This is all nice.....beat South Alabama

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:27 pm

There should be no polls until every team plays 6 games. Too much uncertainty and change

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I’ve been watching Mountaineer football for over 30 years and I have seen national championship teams, but this may be the most talented we have had.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm
moonshine wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I don't believe App has done enough to garner a top 25 ranking and it's still very early in the season so all this will change. However, I do want to point out a few instances of obscene bias shown in the AP poll.

One AP voter (Neil Ostrout) put VT at #12 after their 2 TD loss to then 0-3 ODU. Another voter (Jon Wilner) has the Ducks at #12 fresh off a loss and ahead of UCF & Penn St. respectively.

Even those these teams are not ranked, the voting does not make sense. The 2-1 Utes received love from 3 different voters, giving them 9 ORV, with wins over "powerhouses" Weber St. and NIU while losing to conference foe Washington by 2 TD's. On the flip side, Buffalo is 4-0 with wins over Del St., @Temple (AAC), EMU (MAC) and @Rutgers (B1G) and come in with 6 ORV. Granted the Owls and Knights aren't great teams but to me, Buffalo's resume looks way better than Utah's.

What irks me about Buffalo, none other than the AP voter from the Winston-Salem Journal voted for them at #24. He also doesn’t even list us on his short list of schools to “watch.” Out of any of the voters, one would hope we get some hometown support, considering the seemingly increased notice taken by the coaches.

Connor O’Neill is his name and he is an Elon graduate. Here is a link to his ballot:

I don't expect any favors from "hometown" media (plus O'Neill doesn't even cover us), but I agree with you on Buffalo. I don't think they're better than us. I don't think they're the best team in the MAC. I don't even think they're the best team in upstate New York.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:48 pm

My personal goal for the team in either this season or next is to break the top 25. Even if it's for a week, just to finally get that acknowledgement which we've flirted with but never achieved. I'd like to think if we beat stAte, Coastal and Troy we might break that ceiling.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 am

yikas1 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 pm
I’ve been watching Mountaineer football for over 30 years and I have seen national championship teams, but this may be the most talented we have had.
I am a pretty die hard “sports” guy. I’m the guy who’s wife fusses at him for staying up until 2am watching Crap PAC 12 games or irrelevant teams play on strange week nights. You nailed it, this team has ridiculous talent. I would put them up against MOST, not all, but MOST teams in the country, Alabama is on a different planet right now, their coaching and sheer talent can never be matched. Behind them, you have the usual suspects- Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan looks strong. But after that, you have a whole lot of teams that are more reliant on one of two things- their talent versus the competition they have played or their system. App State is one of those teams. They have a lot of players who fit perfectly in a system that has thrived for many years. What has put us over the hump is that the players we have now are just that much bigger, faster and talented than the kids we had before. We are a top 30 team right now, based on a few weeks. We shall see how it works out down the road.
The Appalachian State

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:48 pm
My personal goal for the team in either this season or next is to break the top 25. Even if it's for a week, just to finally get that acknowledgement which we've flirted with but never achieved. I'd like to think if we beat stAte, Coastal and Troy we might break that ceiling.
I think we might not win out, and will not end up in us being actually ranked, but very close, and by next year with beating Charlotte again, and upset over UNC or maybe South Carolina. We would get ranked.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:16 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
I think we might not win out, and will not end up in us being actually ranked, but very close, and by next year with beating Charlotte again, and upset over UNC or maybe South Carolina. We would get ranked.
Unless UNC makes some serious strides a win over them next year ain’t gonna be no upset. I’ll be upset if we don’t beat them by 3 TD’s!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:16 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Unless UNC makes some serious strides a win over them next year ain’t gonna be no upset. I’ll be upset if we don’t beat them by 3 TD’s!!
I'm on record thinking we're not a top 25 team, and I know we are a LONG way from proving we are North Carolina's flagship football team. And I feel guilty bringing this up now, but it is in context. BUT if we were playing at Chapel Hill THIS Saturday AND we were GETTING points, I'd be on Friday's flight to Atlantic City.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:25 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm
moonshine wrote:

That explains it.

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:24 pm

We are unofficially ranked 38th in the AP poll. I hope everyone isn't getting their panties in a wad cause the Wake Forest beat writer doesn't have us in his top 35. Maybe he has us as the 36th, 37th, or 38th best team and falls right inline with the average of every other writer that gets a vote.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:15 pm

I think this is changing year over year, but am I the only one who's disappointed when out of conference play is over? It typically marks the beginning of our decline (in the minds of the media). The media doesn't have much respect for the Sunbelt so even if we roll through the league with one or fewer losses it really does us no favors.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:39 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:15 pm
I think this is changing year over year, but am I the only one who's disappointed when out of conference play is over? It typically marks the beginning of our decline (in the minds of the media). The media doesn't have much respect for the Sunbelt so even if we roll through the league with one or fewer losses it really does us no favors.
I definitely felt that way the first three years but I have to say I think the sun belt has really picked it up and I think we are a big part of having elevated the conference perception. With that said, I do think playing teams in this league, each with their own backstory and potential for a hard fought game year after year, is getting quite interesting. The Troy game will be huge, Georgia Southern with their resurgence will start to feel like a real rivalry game again this year and Arkansas State on Tuesday night? it sucks that it’s Tuesday night but my interest level on that one is
sky high...

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Picked up more votes & moved up a bit closer. 34 Votes & unofficially at #32.

With the attrition coming up above us I bet we’re ranked if we can win through the Eagles...

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Sagarin has us at 32 as well.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 pm

I like it, I love it, I want some more of it.......would love to see us manhandle Arky St........ This years App State team would beat any other App State team in it's entire history ......the next best team was last year's.
KICK ASS!!!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm

34 votes coaches, 2 AP, Go App!

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:16 am
True dat. But, oh my, how much fun that will be!

Please, please, please, let us beat them by 50. (OK 21 will do.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”