Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ark State Game/Travel

MountaineerMafia
School: Appalachian State

Ark State Game/Travel

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 am

Hey all,
Booked a work trip to Memphis the week of the Arkansas State game. This will be my first time in Memphis/Jonesboro. Any recommendations you all could give about where to stay/eat/hang out would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'll be traveling solo, so if anyone else is going to this one let me know as I'd love to do a little tailgating before the game!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

kornegaylw

Re: Ark State Game/Travel

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 am

I will be there too!!

My girlfriend is an ArkSt grad and we've also booked work in the Jonesboro area that week.

I don't have tickets yet but I contacted the Yosef Club this weekend about tickets and if there will be a tailgate there. Honestly I'd prefer to sit with App fans as well. Not sure how many of us there will be there.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 am
I will be there too!!

My girlfriend is an ArkSt grad and we've also booked work in the Jonesboro area that week.

I don't have tickets yet but I contacted the Yosef Club this weekend about tickets and if there will be a tailgate there. Honestly I'd prefer to sit with App fans as well. Not sure how many of us there will be there.
Looks like Ticketmaster has plenty available for as cheap as $8. Most expensive I saw was $33 but wondering if I can just get by with buying an $8 ticket and moving down to the $33 seat. I'd hate to buy a $33 seat and then see people who have much cheaper seats just move down into the sections in the lower seating area.

But yea, would also love to sit with some App State faithful!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

My friend and I bought two tickets through our ticket office. We will be driving in from Knoxville on Tuesday. They were $20 each.

For Memphis, I would strongly recommend Central BBQ for food. I would stay near the airport or on Beale Street.

This will be my first time in Jonesboro.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am

I got my tickets through our ticket office though I haven’t received them yet.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:54 pm

appfanz wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am
I got my tickets through our ticket office though I haven’t received them yet.
My tickets came in today in Atlanta. Section PP.

kickass143

Unread post by kickass143 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 pm

I'll be there Lord willing with ASU Black Diamond in tow! Going to be an important game in our quest to win the Sunbelt!

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Got my tickets today also.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm

I lived in Memphis for 8 years before getting to come home to NC. Memphis is a town of haves and have nots. Do not go to the wrong side of the tracks after dark (period) And do not walk alone downtown after dark. I travel a ton, and this can be one of the least safe places in America. No hyperbole, facts! With that said, Memphis is a great place and there are some very cool things to do, but you have to pay attention.

...here's my recommendation for your time in Memphis (I have very limited knowledge of J-boro):
Hotels (depending on your budget):
1) the Peabody it's a landmark hotel and reasonably priced. There are ducks that live on the rooftop and are brought down in the elevator to "March" into the lobby fountain. Make sure you do this even if you don't stay here! Their Sunday brunch is also excellent, and their rooftop bar scene is pretty good.
2) the Westin - it's a great modern Westin on the edge of Beale St. and within walking distance to everything downtown. Check on the corporate rates for Medtronic, Smith & Nephew, Autozone and Baptist hospital, you may be a significant savings.
3) the Hampton Inn downtown - it's a good Hampton Inn and it's located in between the Peabody and the Westin. Location is hard to beat and the rates were always reasonable.
Restaurants:
1) Rendezvous - it's one of the 4 things people will ask you about your trip to Memphis. It's a dry rub BBQ rib joint and is well worth the experience. You'll pay more than you should, but it's a great experience. Tell the waiter to "take care of me" and he will. Make sure you order the sausage and cheese appetizer! The sausage is fantastic!
2) Gus' Fried Chicken for lunch! It's another must do! The fried chicken has been featured on the Food Network multiple times. You'll walk up to it and think I goofed you, I didn't. Trust me you'll love this fried chicken with an ice cold bottle of beer. The prices are cheap...don't go here after dark!
3) Huey's is a good burger joint downtown. Nothing spectacular, but predictable and reasonable.
4) McEwen's is a nice $$$ place. The price matches what you get. It's walkable from the hotels I listed. I routinely take customers here for dinner. Your wives will like it.
Bar scene:
1) I already mentioned the Peabody rooftop
2) Any place on Beale St! BB King's, Silky O'Sullivan's Tin Roof, Rum Boogie...and others I can't remember.
3) Madison Hotel's rooftop - has a great scene on a Thursday to Saturday night. When we lived here, Memphis' beautiful people went here to see and be seen.
4) Flying Saucer - just like all the others, it's got a ton of beers on tap.

Other Must do's in Memphis:
Elvis' Graceland - it's a quick drive from the Memphis airport. Like the Peabody and the Rendeavous, when you tell people you went to Memphis, they're going to ask about Graceland. Do it! Get the full package with the headset and tour the house, the car museum and his airplanes. Keep in mind, it's just like the King left it. This was a poor boy from Tupelo, Mississippi who made it big in the 70's and he decorated it just like someone would.
Lorraine Hotel - as you know, MLK Jr was assassinated in downtown Memphis. The National Civil Rights Museum is worth a visit.
If time allows the Nike distribution outlet is 5 minutes from Graceland. A distribution outlet is different than a Nike outlet...there could be 25 pairs of orange hightop basketball shoes left over from the Vols basketball team, or you could find a perfect black polo for $10. Or you might find nothing at all. Memphis the Global HQ for FedEx, and Nike has there main distribution center in town. For this reason, I've found some great things at this outlet. But like some other spots I've recommended, don't be here after dark!

Others have mentioned Central BBQ (good choice) and staying near the airport (I would NOT recommend). There are a number of other options for food and hotels outside of the downtown area, specifically in Germantown and Collierville, but they're going to be less convenient for traveling back and forth to Jonesboro.

I hope this is helpful, Jonesboro looks to be about an hour and a half from Memphis. If I were going, I'd stay downtown and scoot back and forth for the game. If you have any questions or want some additional ideas, drop me a DM and I'd be happy to discuss live.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm
I lived in Memphis for 8 years before getting to come home to NC. Memphis is a town of haves and have nots. Do not go to the wrong side of the tracks after dark (period) And do not walk alone downtown after dark. I travel a ton, and this can be one of the least safe places in America. No hyperbole, facts! With that said, Memphis is a great place and there are some very cool things to do, but you have to pay attention.

...here's my recommendation for your time in Memphis (I have very limited knowledge of J-boro):
Hotels (depending on your budget):
1) the Peabody it's a landmark hotel and reasonably priced. There are ducks that live on the rooftop and are brought down in the elevator to "March" into the lobby fountain. Make sure you do this even if you don't stay here! Their Sunday brunch is also excellent, and their rooftop bar scene is pretty good.
2) the Westin - it's a great modern Westin on the edge of Beale St. and within walking distance to everything downtown. Check on the corporate rates for Medtronic, Smith & Nephew, Autozone and Baptist hospital, you may be a significant savings.
3) the Hampton Inn downtown - it's a good Hampton Inn and it's located in between the Peabody and the Westin. Location is hard to beat and the rates were always reasonable.
Restaurants:
1) Rendezvous - it's one of the 4 things people will ask you about your trip to Memphis. It's a dry rub BBQ rib joint and is well worth the experience. You'll pay more than you should, but it's a great experience. Tell the waiter to "take care of me" and he will. Make sure you order the sausage and cheese appetizer! The sausage is fantastic!
2) Gus' Fried Chicken for lunch! It's another must do! The fried chicken has been featured on the Food Network multiple times. You'll walk up to it and think I goofed you, I didn't. Trust me you'll love this fried chicken with an ice cold bottle of beer. The prices are cheap...don't go here after dark!
3) Huey's is a good burger joint downtown. Nothing spectacular, but predictable and reasonable.
4) McEwen's is a nice $$$ place. The price matches what you get. It's walkable from the hotels I listed. I routinely take customers here for dinner. Your wives will like it.
Bar scene:
1) I already mentioned the Peabody rooftop
2) Any place on Beale St! BB King's, Silky O'Sullivan's Tin Roof, Rum Boogie...and others I can't remember.
3) Madison Hotel's rooftop - has a great scene on a Thursday to Saturday night. When we lived here, Memphis' beautiful people went here to see and be seen.
4) Flying Saucer - just like all the others, it's got a ton of beers on tap.

Other Must do's in Memphis:
Elvis' Graceland - it's a quick drive from the Memphis airport. Like the Peabody and the Rendeavous, when you tell people you went to Memphis, they're going to ask about Graceland. Do it! Get the full package with the headset and tour the house, the car museum and his airplanes. Keep in mind, it's just like the King left it. This was a poor boy from Tupelo, Mississippi who made it big in the 70's and he decorated it just like someone would.
Lorraine Hotel - as you know, MLK Jr was assassinated in downtown Memphis. The National Civil Rights Museum is worth a visit.
If time allows the Nike distribution outlet is 5 minutes from Graceland. A distribution outlet is different than a Nike outlet...there could be 25 pairs of orange hightop basketball shoes left over from the Vols basketball team, or you could find a perfect black polo for $10. Or you might find nothing at all. Memphis the Global HQ for FedEx, and Nike has there main distribution center in town. For this reason, I've found some great things at this outlet. But like some other spots I've recommended, don't be here after dark!

Others have mentioned Central BBQ (good choice) and staying near the airport (I would NOT recommend). There are a number of other options for food and hotels outside of the downtown area, specifically in Germantown and Collierville, but they're going to be less convenient for traveling back and forth to Jonesboro.

I hope this is helpful, Jonesboro looks to be about an hour and a half from Memphis. If I were going, I'd stay downtown and scoot back and forth for the game. If you have any questions or want some additional ideas, drop me a DM and I'd be happy to discuss live.
This is awesome! Thanks for a great list of ideas and things to do. I'm only there (Memphis) for one night and one night in Jonesboro but I'll certainly be doing a few of these while I'm around.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Would love to go out there and whip up on em. Have we played them since the Freddie Knightenmare at home a few years back?

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 pm

GoBoone wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 pm
Would love to go out there and whip up on em. Have we played them since the Freddie Knightenmare at home a few years back?
Not since 2015. I want this win real bad!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”