Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

You Suck @sshole

JerryJerryJerry
School: Appalachian State

You Suck @sshole

Unread post by JerryJerryJerry » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Why is this even a thing? We're going on, what, four years of this chant now?

Last year, Gillin and Co. launched an "initiative" to combat it, yet failed to do anything productive with it. There was an email announcement to the student body that the CLASS values we used to display on the big screen were still very much valued (although we no longer show the CLASS stuff anymore) and an attempt to replace the chant was half-assed.

Let's blare Kernkraft 400 and flash words on the screen in hopes that a fanbase that's incapable of chanting anything other than "APP" and "STATE" will catch on and run away with an awesome new tradition. That'll work.

We've got an incoming freshman class with a 4.05 average GPA and SAT scores around 1110-1310, yet we sound dumb as hell on live ESPN broadcasts when an opponent kicks off to us and you hear a resounding "YOU SUCK ASSHOLE". It's also a wonderful element to the "family-friendly" environment of KBS.

For a program that's showing a lot of promise, and lined up to receive more and more attention over the coming years, we should do something to polish up our image and show the rest of collegiate football that we're not a bunch of dumbass mountain holler rednecks clinging to an 11 year old upset, slinging insults at anyone who challenges us. We've got it hard enough already in being taken seriously, and the fan base should start working for, instead of against, this program.

GregPercussion

Re: You Suck @sshole

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:07 pm

I agree.
What do you propose they do?

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm

I chuckle each time I hear it. I believe it might be one of the least offensive things I hear during the game.... Considering all the old drunk morons with cups of ice.... Anyways.... The u suck ahole chant is a winner winner chicken dinner. I'd say it's far less offensive than the gangster/trash rap that is played all the time.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:21 pm

It's a thing because it was allowed to become a thing over years.

Last year's efforts to curtail the chant were half-hearted and failed because it didn't offer a better solution. And IMO it spurred the chant on more because it was anti-authority.

Gillin and company should do a video imploring students to chant it, uncensored, and then it will die because it won't be cool anymore. ;)

Whatever is done, it needs to be sweet and awesome, because to college students, chanting "you suck asshole" at kickoff is funny. And the new idea needs to come from the students rather than dictated by the suits.
Last edited by T-Dog on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Ill add my agreement. My wife and I sit in HDCP seats in 202 due to her disability. She is bothered and embarrassed each time we hear a "colorful metaphor" such as "shut up @@@hole. What has been done before in 202 is we alert the green coats.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:33 pm

If I alerted the "green coats" Everytime someone said a bad word I'd never get to watch the game.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:03 pm

I think TPTB should be very direct and even then it may not work.

Without beating around the bush say "The 'you suck asshole' chant makes the university look backwards and there other ways of being a good fan." Then offer a contest for a replacement chant and give the winner something. Maybe the winner will wish to remain anonymous but give them something.

I doubt it will work but the CLASS thing was beating around the bush. As noted about the more the "adults" complain the worse this may become. So address directly with a firm request to stop or a firm statement that no one cares, even if we do care but just be direct.

There are plenty of students that do not participate in the chant, though many do, sadly, but it is not every student.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 pm

This is often mentioned in the same sentence as booing the other team when they enter, and the latter bothers me more. Did we need to boo Gardner Webb? Most of us knew what kind of day they were likely going to have. We had to add insult to impending injury?

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm

I was cursed out by a student..while I was a student...for yelling "block that sh**" during opponent FG tries. I wouldn't join in doing it now (ok I probably would), but getting students to stop cursing while inebriated is going to be quite the tall task.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm
I chuckle each time I hear it. I believe it might be one of the least offensive things I hear during the game.... Considering all the old drunk morons with cups of ice.... Anyways.... The u suck ahole chant is a winner winner chicken dinner. I'd say it's far less offensive than the gangster/trash rap that is played all the time.
You would be dead wrong, and they have never played "gangster" rap.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm
I was cursed out by a student..while I was a student...for yelling "block that sh**" during opponent FG tries. I wouldn't join in doing it now (ok I probably would), but getting students to stop cursing while inebriated is going to be quite the tall task.
"Don't go swimming you yoself!"

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm

I noticed they were doing the App State chant while we were on offense. That bothered me more than the kickoff chant.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:13 pm

I really don't like hearing this. It was pretty obnoxious at Charlotte. I especially don't like it when it is directed at one of our own players (which it has been).

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:34 pm

appvette wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm
I noticed they were doing the App State chant while we were on offense. That bothered me more than the kickoff chant.
My guess would be that there a whole lotta “fans” that would have no idea that you should hush when your team’s on offense.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Half the students don’t know what conference we are in let alone who are playing, and this is coming from someone who just graduated. You can’t organize a giant drunk mass.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:04 pm

fjblair wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm

You would be dead wrong, and they have never played "gangster" rap.
You show your ignorance.... Waka Flocka Flame... Go hard in the paint. He's a blood gang member and it's gangster rap. Welcome to 2018.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Need to do the App State Chant on the big board pointing at when the sides should say App and State.... Students been failing at that for few yrs and its just getting worse

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm

JerryJerryJerry wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:03 pm
Why is this even a thing? We're going on, what, four years of this chant now?

Last year, Gillin and Co. launched an "initiative" to combat it, yet failed to do anything productive with it. There was an email announcement to the student body that the CLASS values we used to display on the big screen were still very much valued (although we no longer show the CLASS stuff anymore) and an attempt to replace the chant was half-assed.

Let's blare Kernkraft 400 and flash words on the screen in hopes that a fanbase that's incapable of chanting anything other than "APP" and "STATE" will catch on and run away with an awesome new tradition. That'll work.

We've got an incoming freshman class with a 4.05 average GPA and SAT scores around 1110-1310, yet we sound dumb as hell on live ESPN broadcasts when an opponent kicks off to us and you hear a resounding "YOU SUCK ASSHOLE". It's also a wonderful element to the "family-friendly" environment of KBS.

For a program that's showing a lot of promise, and lined up to receive more and more attention over the coming years, we should do something to polish up our image and show the rest of collegiate football that we're not a bunch of dumbass mountain holler rednecks clinging to an 11 year old upset, slinging insults at anyone who challenges us. We've got it hard enough already in being taken seriously, and the fan base should start working for, instead of against, this program.
Go listen to what LSU students sing when their band plays "Neck". Our "Smart Kids" sound like angels compared to them.

Good luck trying to get a bunch of inebriated 18-22 year olds to stop. Let them have their fun. They're paying for it...instate residents will pay upwards of $60k for 4 years. Have you contributed more than that to the Yosef Club recently?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:10 pm

They do that at Panthers games. It works great!!??

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:17 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:04 pm
Need to do the App State Chant on the big board pointing at when the sides should say App and State.... Students been failing at that for few yrs and its just getting worse
I’ve been preaching this for a while. It would be perfect this year with no temp end zone bleachers. I attribute the downfall of the App state chant to those bleachers.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”