Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

You Suck @sshole

Appftw
School: Appalachian State

Re: You Suck @sshole

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:37 pm

This has been going on for at least 6 years. I graduated in 2012 and they chanted it then. One time I even tried to get the students around me to stop by saying it wasn’t classy and that it reflects poorly on the university, but I must not have been very diplomatic about it because I almost got in a fight.

It’s gotta be one of the trashiest football “traditions” (sadly, it’s that entrenched) in the whole state of NC.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm
Can anyone with a straight face say this is a good cheer?

I bring my young children to the games and cringe ever kickoff.

I’m not here to pretend I never said stupid things at games (even as an adult) but this isn’t a good look for children, prospective students, donors, etc.
No one has said it was good..... I just think it's better than all the other trash we have a games. The druken fratathon on the duck pond field. Sorostitutes dressed like hookers.... Rap songs with over half the words bleeped out. Druken old Yosef members stumbling around yelling about cups and ice. People puking in the lots. You guys live in a bubble when it comes to things. The rock, with all it's shortcomings, is far and away better than most other places. You can't stop the student section from doing what they do. If they take student tickets away all youd hear at the games is crickets. I say get the student council involved, start a campaign on campus (hand out flyers or have the football team themselves hand out stuff and speak to the students) using a new phrase to chant, but as someone already mentioned....gotta be something they (the students) come up with. Us old has-beens aren't gonna change it. Neither is the admin...
Deflection is always a poor defense of an action.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:18 pm

I don’t recall hearing the chant the few times I’ve been there in recent years, but it sounds pretty WCUish to me...maybe even Ga Southernish. Not clever and not as classy as I think of our fan base. One would think that a bright cadre of students could be more creative. I suppose when a large chunk of time is spent receiving infotainment via Snapchat and instagram, and reverting to devices that think for us, it’s harder to think for oneself...that, and spending more than a decade in school taking tests.

Charlotte students quietly chanted “F#%@ App State” after we cheered for one of many touchdowns, before they emptied out of the stadium. I thought it was super lame and called a few out on it since my kids were with me. I didn’t know that our students had reverted to such mindless banter.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Drum machine ...followed by the students chanting, "Ice, Ice Baby"

Two birds, one stone.....

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:37 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm
JerryJerryJerry wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:03 pm
Why is this even a thing? We're going on, what, four years of this chant now?

Last year, Gillin and Co. launched an "initiative" to combat it, yet failed to do anything productive with it. There was an email announcement to the student body that the CLASS values we used to display on the big screen were still very much valued (although we no longer show the CLASS stuff anymore) and an attempt to replace the chant was half-assed.

Let's blare Kernkraft 400 and flash words on the screen in hopes that a fanbase that's incapable of chanting anything other than "APP" and "STATE" will catch on and run away with an awesome new tradition. That'll work.

We've got an incoming freshman class with a 4.05 average GPA and SAT scores around 1110-1310, yet we sound dumb as hell on live ESPN broadcasts when an opponent kicks off to us and you hear a resounding "YOU SUCK ASSHOLE". It's also a wonderful element to the "family-friendly" environment of KBS.

For a program that's showing a lot of promise, and lined up to receive more and more attention over the coming years, we should do something to polish up our image and show the rest of collegiate football that we're not a bunch of dumbass mountain holler rednecks clinging to an 11 year old upset, slinging insults at anyone who challenges us. We've got it hard enough already in being taken seriously, and the fan base should start working for, instead of against, this program.
Go listen to what LSU students sing when their band plays "Neck". Our "Smart Kids" sound like angels compared to them.

Good luck trying to get a bunch of inebriated 18-22 year olds to stop. Let them have their fun. They're paying for it...instate residents will pay upwards of $60k for 4 years. Have you contributed more than that to the Yosef Club recently?
Well the LSU administration banned the marching band from playing “the Neck” so...
They started playing it again in 2013. Odell Beckham got the band to play it last November.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm
Can anyone with a straight face say this is a good cheer?

I bring my young children to the games and cringe ever kickoff.

I’m not here to pretend I never said stupid things at games (even as an adult) but this isn’t a good look for children, prospective students, donors, etc.
No one has said it was good..... I just think it's better than all the other trash we have a games. The druken fratathon on the duck pond field. Sorostitutes dressed like hookers.... Rap songs with over half the words bleeped out. Druken old Yosef members stumbling around yelling about cups and ice. People puking in the lots. You guys live in a bubble when it comes to things. The rock, with all it's shortcomings, is far and away better than most other places. You can't stop the student section from doing what they do. If they take student tickets away all youd hear at the games is crickets. I say get the student council involved, start a campaign on campus (hand out flyers or have the football team themselves hand out stuff and speak to the students) using a new phrase to chant, but as someone already mentioned....gotta be something they (the students) come up with. Us old has-beens aren't gonna change it. Neither is the admin...
Deflection is always a poor defense of an action.
Looks like you're deflecting my valid points... Duck pond beer fest is a disgrace... I can explain a chant of asshole to my kids better than I can why the girls are half dressed, puking, and stumbling around with tie wearing alcoholics. Everyone coming to the stadium has to walk by that field. Put the frats and sororities somewhere else. You want to cut down on obscene chants? Cut down on drunken students. Make all students show a driver's license to get in. Those under 21 that have consumed don't get in... Have ALE stand at the gates with Alkosensors. Oh wait, we don't want it little Johnny and Sally to get in trouble... We just don't want them chanting "you suck, asshole". Double standard as usual from you and from some of the others. You can't have students being students and have your cake and eat it too.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 pm

Appftw wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:37 pm
This has been going on for at least 6 years. I graduated in 2012 and they chanted it then. One time I even tried to get the students around me to stop by saying it wasn’t classy and that it reflects poorly on the university, but I must not have been very diplomatic about it because I almost got in a fight.

It’s gotta be one of the trashiest football “traditions” (sadly, it’s that entrenched) in the whole state of NC.
At least since 2010, it was in full force at my first home game. Not a big fan of it, but there's nothing I can do about either.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:59 am

I'm going to open a new thread on this topic, because I think it is important, but without the personal attacks at each other.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”