Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kickoff chant thread, Part II

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Kickoff chant thread, Part II

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:01 am

New thread for discussing ways to get rid of the kickoff chant. If you wish to make personal attacks against one another, please do it via PM or e-mail.

appstatealum

Re: Kickoff chant thread, Part II

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:24 am

If only we had a crazy Doc that could turn a Tesla into a time machine and we could travel to the future and show these kids a video of themselves at the game ....

Have the marketing kids put together a contest for students to come up with a new kickoff chant/tradition. Best one wins a “gear” package. Jersey, helmet or something. I would’ve been all over that back in my Walker Business days.
The Appalachian State

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

It's going to take some guerrilla tactics to unseat this thing. As Tdog said in the other thread, the kids aren't going to just take a new suggestion coming from the man on the video board.

A new chant needs to be disseminated among the fan base through other means so that when the time comes everyone knows it and we actually get good participation. No one wanted to do "LET'S GO APP STATE", or whatever it was, because no one knew if they'd be the only ones saying it or not.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:38 am

The “A-word” doesn’t bother me as much as it seems to bother my fellow App fans.

If I could press a button and change that chant, I would, but I don’t understand why we have these threads every season. They don’t even bleep out that word on cable tv.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am

We only have ourselves to blame. Decades have passed and all we have done was point our fingers while Bugler's Dream plays, then hold a long uhhhhhhhhhh until the ball is kicked and everything stops.

I've always wanted the kickoff chant to be "GO" from the West side, followed by the East side chanting, "APP", right after the ball is kicked.

I am most disappointed that the students couldn't come up with something a little better. Like, are they telling the team of assholes that they suck, or are they suggesting the opposing team eats groceries? Hard to tell through speech.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 am

The band just needs to play Bugler’s Dream and drown out the student chant as much as possible. I have no idea why the band stopped doing that a few years ago.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:38 am
The “A-word” doesn’t bother me as much as it seems to bother my fellow App fans.

If I could press a button and change that chant, I would, but I don’t understand why we have these threads every season. They don’t even bleep out that word on cable tv.
It’s trashy and makes us look bad. Period. I don’t care if it makes me look like a prude. I have no problem with the word, but that’s not what this is about. It’s not a good sign of our general student/gameday culture. The general atmosphere at games has been in decline since right around when this chant started. Coincedence? I don’t think so.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am

I agree 100% this does not reflect well on ASU. It should stop. Replace it with something else more appropriate.

However, I sit right behind the students, a couple rows in front of the gold seats in section 203, and have never heard it.

But, it seems to me the real question here is whether there is a comma in this chant.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 am
The band just needs to play Bugler’s Dream and drown out the student chant as much as possible. I have no idea why the band stopped doing that a few years ago.
I'm all over this with you. Play it...hold the note and at kickoff "Go App State" on the video Board to get the crowd to try that. And my pet peeve of the last 5 years....We need a Band leader who is marching band first. Time to transform the Band back into the Band of Distinction and practice like other Bands do. I'd like an aggressive drumline too!

AppSt8Will

Unread post by AppSt8Will » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am

Here's a thought...have the cheerleaders actually LEAD a cheer. The students already arrive early to get their seats. Cheerleaders, get on a bull horn and tell the students ahead of time what the kickoff cheer is going to be. When I was an 18-22 year old, I'd have done anything a college cheerleader suggested! :)

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 am
QueencityApp wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 am
I'm all over this with you. Play it...hold the note and at kickoff "Go App State" on the video Board to get the crowd to try that. And my pet peeve of the last 5 years....We need a Band leader who is marching band first. Time to transform the Band back into the Band of Distinction and practice like other Bands do. I'd like an aggressive drumline too!
The band did it last year, not sure at this first game because of where they were placed. They play it when we kick off, only. and cut off when the other team receives the ball. "You suck asshole" is only done "normally" when the other team is doing the kickoff.

The Band Director is, and will always be a professor, a Doctor of Music, first. Should next year's director put more effort into it, yes. It needs to be done, and they need to hire actual staff.
I'll ignore your aggressive drumline comment, as that doesn't even make sense.
You look at these other bands, in BIG10 and such, they have a ton of paid staff and volunteer staff. On top of a few directors that work with the band. Ours has none. Make a donation to the band.
I would love nothing more than to see our band continue to grow and actually have staff. But they aren't the answer/reason for this chant.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 am
Appftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 am
Gonzo wrote:

It’s trashy and makes us look bad. Period. I don’t care if it makes me look like a prude. I have no problem with the word, but that’s not what this is about. It’s not a good sign of our general student/gameday culture. The general atmosphere at games has been in decline since right around when this chant started. Coincedence? I don’t think so.
You are upset about a single word that is being said at the game... Yet your handle(moniker) on here is Appftw.... Ftw... Know what that stands for in the real world? Ftw = F$#@ The World
Maybe not why you picked it but if so, you don't get a say in this.
Just saying, FTW also means for the win..... I don’t know if that’s their meaning but yea.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 am

The students that are perpetuating this chant are only hurting themselves. They are feeding right into what some people already perceive of App State students, which is grossly false.
The other thing is that we have prospective students, AND recruits attending games with their families. Perception is reality so let's give these potential Mountaineers the best picture of what a great place App is and how it'd be the best place for their kids to go.
I don't have a clue on how to stop it, but it's got to come from the students themselves who have to decide that they are better than that.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

Is there a school that we could draw inspiration from for a kick off chant that anyone is aware of?

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:29 am

ukappfan wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 am
ASUTodd wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 am
Appftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 am
Gonzo wrote:

You are upset about a single word that is being said at the game... Yet your handle(moniker) on here is Appftw.... Ftw... Know what that stands for in the real world? Ftw = F$#@ The World
Maybe not why you picked it but if so, you don't get a say in this.
Just saying, FTW also means for the win..... I don’t know if that’s their meaning but yea.
Yeah, it's definitely "for the win". And I even said in my first post that I don't care about the word, in particular, it's that this is has become a tradition up there with the App State chant. That's just sad.

JerryJerryJerry

Unread post by JerryJerryJerry » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 am

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:40 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.c ... 117042/amp

It's not just an App State problem. It's across all sports. The more the school tries to change it the bigger the push back. It will have to be done at a student level and with a pinch of reverse psychology.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:50 am

Gonzo wrote:

I didn't care until I started taking my daughter to the games. It's not the A hole word that I don't like. It's the name calling and putting down another person while using vulgarity that I don't like. It's hard to teach your kids to respect people when an entire section of the stadium is doing otherwise.

I know she will hear worse when shes older -- but hopefully by that time we have taught her to respect everyone and she won't follow. And she will be old enough to know better.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am
Is there a school that we could draw inspiration from for a kick off chant that anyone is aware of?
University of Georgia "calls the dawgs" on their kickoffs. Arkansas has the "woo pig, sooie!" thing. I've seen a lot of teams do basically what App does, but after the ball is kicked they yell "Go *insert team name here*

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:12 am

There is still a student Yosef Club, right? Couldn't administration push a change through the student Yosef Club? Tell whatever leadership the SYC has that they need to come up with a kickoff chant that will drown out what is currently happening.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”