Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Old man "get on my lawn rant"-South Alabama

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Old man "get on my lawn rant"-South Alabama

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:26 pm

This was my first home game of the year so I did my duty and complain about the lack of ice and souvenir cups. I was not even thirsty but I did complain. Thankfully with the clouds the temperature was very pleasant, and the rain held off until we made it to the Lutheran Church and I was out of Boone actually but it sounded like it was rather heavy when the rain came.

The monarch butterflies were nice. I have no idea where they came from but there were a few and once or twice I am pretty sure they were in the way of the camera that was used on the video board for a few fleeting moments.

I was down in the student section and ended up sitting/standing beside some of the officers of the Student Yosef Club. Without giving out identifying information such as office held and such I will just note they left after half-time. Maybe they moved to another location. But officers of SYC really should stay for the ENTIRE game unless there are specific individual circumstances but they left as a group so I don't think that was the case. This is my real "get off my lawn" rant part of the post.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NoLongerLurking

Re: Old man "get on my lawn rant"-South Alabama

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Your "get off my lawn" is reasonable and doesn't even approach the anger newapp had last week. Incidentally, I have dealt with more drunk college kids this year than ever. I mean, alcohol-poisoned and passing out covered in vomit when they came into the stadium. What the hell? Newapp, I apologize for sorta not backing you up on that disgruntlement. Why is this shit OK? <insert topical political discussion here>

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Sorry, meant Cline.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm

There's a lot of drunkenness this season. Comes with the territory of being good.

I've rode this horse before, but I realt believe that App should extend drinking hours. Right now it's 3.5 hours, so students show up later and get blackout drunk. Make it 6+ hours and they might plan longer, bring food and pace themselves more.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:20 pm

6hours and they don’t make it into the game!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm

It is highly likely that the SYC officers relocated to a different area of the stadium. I know for a fact that several of them have purchased their own season tickets which would be in areas other than the student section. They do this, purchasing full season tickets at full price, to support our student-athletes. Having worked very closely with all of those SYC officers, I can attest to the fact that they support App State athletics far beyond what any of us could imagine. I see them regularly at field hockey, volleyball, baseball, wrestling, softball, and basketball. At the end of yesterday's game I also saw several of them walking to the stadium Lot from the west gate.

Additionally, they spend many hours during the summer working at orientation to help get new students into the student Yosef Club. If you'd like to PM me with their names and ranks, I will be happy to determine where they sat after they left your company.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:48 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:26 pm
This was my first home game of the year so I did my duty and complain about the lack of ice and souvenir cups. I was not even thirsty but I did complain. Thankfully with the clouds the temperature was very pleasant, and the rain held off until we made it to the Lutheran Church and I was out of Boone actually but it sounded like it was rather heavy when the rain came.

The monarch butterflies were nice. I have no idea where they came from but there were a few and once or twice I am pretty sure they were in the way of the camera that was used on the video board for a few fleeting moments.

I was down in the student section and ended up sitting/standing beside some of the officers of the Student Yosef Club. Without giving out identifying information such as office held and such I will just note they left after half-time. Maybe they moved to another location. But officers of SYC really should stay for the ENTIRE game unless there are specific individual circumstances but they left as a group so I don't think that was the case. This is my real "get off my lawn" rant part of the post.

As to the butterflies, it’s Monarch migration season. Was on top of Pilot Knob today and a park ranger was tracking both Monarch and Hawk migration.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:48 pm

As to the butterflies, it’s Monarch migration season. Was on top of Pilot Knob today and a park ranger was tracking both Monarch and Hawk migration.
Though we are not showing it right now the Greensboro Science Center shows a 45 min #D movie about the discovery of the monarch migrations and finding where they head to in Mexico. I have now seen the movie a 100 times by now I guess. It is a very inspiring story to be honest.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:19 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:33 pm
Your "get off my lawn" is reasonable and doesn't even approach the anger newapp had last week. Incidentally, I have dealt with more drunk college kids this year than ever. I mean, alcohol-poisoned and passing out covered in vomit when they came into the stadium. What the hell? Newapp, I apologize for sorta not backing you up on that disgruntlement. Why is this shit OK? <insert topical political discussion here>
I will admit to being surprised in how many of the small liquor bottles can fit around a bra. I noticed a few female students pulling up shirts and digging around and then poof a small liquor bottle was produced.

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Fan police, we all have our lives. It was 42-7.
Haven't seen as many overserved students this year as in the past. The ones
I talked to have been very charmingly engaging.
Scott

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm

TurfMonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:23 pm
Fan police, we all have our lives. It was 42-7.
Haven't seen as many overserved students this year as in the past. The ones
I talked to have been very charmingly engaging.
Scott
I just had a post about this and it is not showing up.

So short recap.

I don't usually complain about this but for SYC I thought it worth mentioning. However if Daphne can vouch for them then I can live with that. I did note many were staying to the end and the game was over before the 1st half. But I do expect officers to be leaders as well.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm not fan-policing. I am what the hell is wrong with the world?-policing. I'm begging for some decency and respect for your fellow fans-policing. There was a young girl passed out on my lap 3 times. I did not handle that well. I didn't give her any grief, because she was nearly unconscious to begin with. She was covered in mud and vomit. This was on the east side "visitor" section.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 pm
I'm not fan-policing. I am what the hell is wrong with the world?-policing. I'm begging for some decency and respect for your fellow fans-policing. There was a young girl passed out on my lap 3 times. I did not handle that well. I didn't give her any grief, because she was nearly unconscious to begin with. She was covered in mud and vomit. This was on the east side "visitor" section.
Seriously, anybody that bad off you need to get security.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Does security arrest and book drunk students or offer then a safe space and maybe a nudge into some counseling if the drinking is a problem? Does it make a difference if they are underage.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Get off my lawn?

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Nothing like all the videos out there of our passed out students at the game or the one from Barstool 49ers after the Charlotte game of one of our freshmen puking in the bushes down there.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Fan police.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Hey, while we're bitching about things. What's up with people trying to do the APP STATE cheer during the National Anthem?

We're not the Chicago Blackhawks folks. You can cool it for a minute and a half and be respectful.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:48 pm

I recently graduated from App. This is kind of unrelated but yeah even though I was in all 4 years I never really knew what the purpose of the SYC is. They never seemed to do much in terms of supporting sports besides football, but there’s exceptions of course.

Honestly I think the Barstool brand is starting to do a lot in terms of increasing student involvement/engagement. Their following has gotten huge (in a relatively short amount of time iirc.) wonder if this could have something to do with the “increase of drunk students” also 😂😂

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:02 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm
There's a lot of drunkenness this season. Comes with the territory of being good.

I've rode this horse before, but I realt believe that App should extend drinking hours. Right now it's 3.5 hours, so students show up later and get blackout drunk. Make it 6+ hours and they might plan longer, bring food and pace themselves more.
These millennials just can not handle their big boy juice. Any seasoned drinker knows to load up on the junk food while you are still coherent and dabble in a few bottles of water every 2-3 drinks. If there is any wisdom I can pass along, that's it. Oh yeah, and stay away from the cheap liquor.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”