Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Big matchup with Arkansas State

87ASUgrad
School: Appalachian State

Big matchup with Arkansas State

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:07 am

Another good App State Football article by Ethan Joyce of the Winston-Salem Journal today:
"Big matchup with Arkansas State"

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... e%20Sports
Give Em Hell!!

Goapps15

Re: Big matchup with Arkansas State

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am

As always great job by Ethan!

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:24 pm

I wandered over to the Ark StAte message board 247 "the Den". Some of their posters need a valium after their loss to GaSo, calling it an ancient offense. Numerous posts called for their Coach to be fired & chancellor to be tar & feathered, etc.

Interestingly, someone on the GaSo board "Flight Line" posted the entire StAte v. GaSo game on a thread. (Didn't know you could do that; probably violates someone's copyright law.) I watched a lot of it. Neither team really impressed me. Ark. StAte's QB is huge & hangs out in the pocket & throws cannon balls. He is not a svelte athlete who can evade a rush. & GaSo is back to the TO; 3 yds & a cloud of little rubber pellets.

Between these two teams, GaSo looked better. I know what the play is gonna be; let's see if we can stop it. I think we can.

Ark. StAte just seemed lackluster somehow.

If Troy stumbles, I do believe GaSo may be the second best team in the Sunbelt.

I think I may plan a trip to the 'boro.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Looking forward to watching some good games. I like a blow out game as much as anyone, but looks like things are really ramping up. Hope we continue to crush them though!

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:14 pm

I checked out their board and the Sun Belt board, and the few stAte fans who aren't self-immolating say they're encouraged because their defense matches up better against us than it did against GaSo. And they do have a good pass defense. #5 in fewest passing yards allowed: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs ... t/team/695

But looking at our rushing numbers, we've got 3 fewer rushing yards on the season than GaSo--1078 vs 1081-- with more yards per attempt (6.49 vs 5.30), more rushing touchdowns (13 vs 11), and almost as many ypg (269.5 vs 270.3). https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

I know there's more to it--schemes, etc-- but I think our attack is too well balanced for stAte to claim this is a better match-up.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm

As many sacks as GS had I'd hope we have good pressure and a few sacks ourselves.

And if Ark St can't stop the run I'd hope we have some new running plays, using both Evans and Moore in the backfield at the same time? I've been expecting that occasionally already.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:22 pm

appchicago wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:14 pm
I know there's more to it--schemes, etc-- but I think our attack is too well balanced for stAte to claim this is a better match-up.
Yep, stAte is in trouble when App comes to town, and they know it. Their prediction thread is almost 95% App wins, most of those posts say App wins by a LOT. Their coach done did something they don't like. Not sure exactly what, but it's more than just losing to GaSo.

Did anyone else notice that South Alabama was arguing with each other more than with App players? That cant be good. It appears Ark StAte may be in the same boat.

I think Ark StAte is in for a Foghorn Leghorn style butt whoopin'!!!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Based on what read the coach retweeted some fans/critics and basically said “meet me ...” for implied knuckle sandwich.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm
As many sacks as GS had I'd hope we have good pressure and a few sacks ourselves.

And if Ark St can't stop the run I'd hope we have some new running plays, using both Evans and Moore in the backfield at the same time? I've been expecting that occasionally already.
Don’t you feel like we have not really “opened up the playbook” completely yet? We have not had to resort to “deception” plays, we have pretty much been running our base offense and our guys are just out-physical-ing and executing nicely. I think if we have some struggles moving the ball in conference play, Satt will have numerous plays to tap in to....
The Appalachian State

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:08 pm
Based on what read the coach retweeted some fans/critics and basically said “meet me ...” for implied knuckle sandwich.
Well bless his heart. Is he available for a "meet me" on Tuesday, 9Oct18?
Give Em Hell!!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm

This is the tweet put out by a radio talking head who is apparently a Blake defender. According to the fans, both Anderson and Dampenhousse (stAte Chancellor) retweeted said #GoSeeHim tweet and have since deleted retweet.

However, the Chancellor seems to stick one more “jab”...“amid little fanfare” :?

Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 pm
biggie wrote:

Don’t you feel like we have not really “opened up the playbook” completely yet? We have not had to resort to “deception” plays, we have pretty much been running our base offense and our guys are just out-physical-ing and executing nicely. I think if we have some struggles moving the ball in conference play, Satt will have numerous plays to tap in to....
Haven’t seen a jet sweep yet have we? When is the last time we ran a bubble screen or an old fashion one.? Reverse?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:15 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 pm
biggie wrote:

Haven’t seen a jet sweep yet have we? When is the last time we ran a bubble screen or an old fashion one.? Reverse?
Haven’t done any of that. Really haven’t had to lately. Opponents have to be looking for that stuff soon.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 am

With the talent and depth we have in all phases of the team, Anderson is probably struggling to figure out how to approach our game. I don't see how they can focus on one thing, like shutting down the run or the air attack. We've got so many ways to score that we can literally take advantage of whatever their defense is giving us.
Plus...our defense is playing lights out, can't wait to see how they handle the much hyped stAte offense.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:01 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 am
With the talent and depth we have in all phases of the team, Anderson is probably struggling to figure out how to approach our game. I don't see how they can focus on one thing, like shutting down the run or the air attack. We've got so many ways to score that we can literally take advantage of whatever their defense is giving us.
Plus...our defense is playing lights out, can't wait to see how they handle the much hyped stAte offense.
ALSO, I would think they (stAte) would have to spend more time on special teams than they normally would because our guys are making things happen there...regardless of who we're playing.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 am

We may have the best team ever at APP in 2018, regardless of age/class, but we have only played Penn State that provided competition. Playing So Miss would have helped provide a better understanding. However, I know we are the class of The Sun Belt.
BLACK SATURDAY

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:35 am

Granted Arky State has played one more game....but they have allowed 857 more yds on Defense than us.
KICK ASS!!!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 pm

:o
CornCobPipes wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:35 am
Granted Arky State has played one more game....but they have allowed 857 more yds on Defense than us.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:12 pm

They are giving up average of 244 yds per game rushing. Hope we have a big run game plan. Open the playbook some.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:34 pm

One thing running does against Arkansas State is it keeps their play count down closer to 65-70. Where they kill you is when they get above 80-85.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”