Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Unacceptable east side concessions

Oldlknapp
School: Appalachian State

Unacceptable east side concessions

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 am

Perhaps by expressing disgust, we can bring more attention to the crazy confusion under the bleachers on the east side.

If you try to go to the concessions for a bottle of water, you may miss most of a quarter of the game just standing in line.

With Saturday’s sun and heat, everyone wanted water. All we needed was a few water station concessions spread around the east side.

Gonzo

Re: Unacceptable east side concessions

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:11 am

I usually roll my eyes at these threads and don't want to pile on, but the concessions situation on the East side is BAD. It seems like they have half the staff they need and 1/3 the supplies. Absolute disaster on Saturday and it wasn't even that big of a crowd.

appswin1

Unread post by appswin1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 am

I completely agree. I sent this out after the last home game, nothing has changed and in fact it seemed worse this past week.

I think there is so much opportunity to get this right with additional vendors and have them spread out through out the concourse.

App is missing out on revenue and keeping fans happy/entertained.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

I got my two warm sodas for $8 pretty quickly, but was told I had to go to a stand under the scoreboard for cups with ice. Then for $4 I got two flimsy paper cups with ice. What a rip off.

Also, whoever decided to reduce the number of porta potties in Raley made no friends on Saturday.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am

I was on both sides of the stadium for concessions, and lines were deep all over. In future reno plans, both sides, East, more so than West, need more windows.

That cup of ice thing under the scoreboard, really didn't make much sense.

I get that one can expect deep lines during big games, it's part of the day, but, yeah, we aren't where we should be for the vending side of life of late. I guess a work in progress.

Props to the concession folks for keeping a smile and sense of humor for a tough day; at least the folks I encountered.

We could benefit from some TV's under the stands, while we are waiting in the long lines, so we can keep up on the game. Hated to miss a chunk or two of the action.
Twitter: @wxcrum

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am

The setup is totally ridiculous! Have several water only stations spread out, not frozen lemonade-popcorn-water combos. As I finally got near the front after 30 minutes in line a guy walks up from the side saying 'I only want frozen lemonade.' When given product he says 'oh yea and six waters' which he is also given.

Don't give me the excuse of not enough power outlets for the machines, put bottles in ice coolers! Pepsi will supply you all you need.

Hot chocolate shouldn't be a problem as weather cools since they are used to selling warm products.
Bring Your A Game!

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am

It was fun to see Ice under the videoboard for everyone to enjoy...

But it's true, really gotta bump things up. We wanna be a great FBS powerhouse; Our stadium needs to keep up.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:10 am

It's a shame App won't let us bring in our own bottles of water like some of the other universities in NC do
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:16 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:10 am
It's a shame App won't let us bring in our own bottles of water like some of the other universities in NC do
The Panthers let us do this as well.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am

I'm another one who generally doesn't contribute to the threads complaining about concessions but it was bad Saturday. I'm not sure what made it worse than usual. Attendance has been higher without that kind of issue. By the middle of the second quarter the lines were across the concourse. Of course this completely blocks the flow of traffic which causes all kinds of congestion.

My only solution is that they need to add more free standing concessions areas, at least for the basic items (drinks, etc.). They could put a couple of lines at the North end of the concourse so that the line ran WITH traffic instead of against it. Maybe that would help.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:29 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
I was on the East Side on Saturday and I saw tables with 7-10 water bottles, most full of water, at the bag check. Can't let those water fiends get in!

I waited in line for maybe 10 minutes at halftime and got a cold water and soda cause that sun beamed down. Missed the entire halftime show but I knew I would.

Concession workers were nice though.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 am

More and more stadiums seem to allow unopen bottles to come in which is great. Just set up some tents outside with coolers of sodas or waters. Great revenue and keeps things flowing. If I go to a game without demanding children I typically only need either a bottle of water or maybe a soda. I don’t want to miss chunks of a game standing in line for a water.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am

Thought it was interesting at UNCC game you could take in an empty bottle and use the filling stations, but if you had an unopened water you had to pour it out and refill inside.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 am

We're spoiled. Drink some spit.

jm18668

Unread post by jm18668 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 am

I brought my own souvenir cup from previous years and took advantage of the ice behind the scoreboard. I didn't mind paying the $1, but it took me 20 minutes to make my way though all the people standing in line on the concourse on the west side, plus all the people standing on walkway above Miller's Hill. There were quite a few stand alone drink carts on the West side concourse and the lines moved pretty quickly.

I know someone said that we couldn't have ropes to designate lines due to fire codes. At several of the concession stands at the Durham Bulls park, the have a single line for 5-6 registers and people just move to the next open spot. I really think this would help the main concession stand on the West side.

I think we continue to move in the right direction and I'm glad that I'm along for the ride. #BeatAState
Brad Manning '99
Raleigh, NC

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:40 am

I’m glad the team is doing so well that we have to find something to complain about. Complaints are justified, but if we were struggling complaints about concessions would be back page news.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:16 am
appaneer1984 wrote:
The Panthers let us do this as well.
My wife was told it was fine as long as the bottle was unopened, so she brought one in with their blessing.

mneer

Unread post by mneer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:34 am

Seems no one listens or has any ability to make changes. We have all these people with “title” yet no one will jump in and fix things. There is no game day manager or quality control going on at the stadium.
And not to mention the traffic patrol trying to reason with every person with an excuse to get in a lot but yet have no PERMIT. Backs up traffic and delays the entire game day. If you have a delivery or need to set up come before tailgate hours. Simple fix
I would be glad to offer my services and experience for event management. No one every seems to make anything better. Just more emails and what they going to do next year ...... we are better then this I hope. Seems we have out kicked our coverage every game day.

mneer

Unread post by mneer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am

And we have all been along for the ride for many years. I have high expectations for all the support and ptience we have all had over the peaks and valleys since the 1980s. It’s time to grow up our operations and be consistent. There are many other places that operate just fine on game day that we can learn from. Just do it. Not that difficult.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 am

mneer wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:34 am
Seems no one listens or has any ability to make changes. We have all these people with “title” yet no one will jump in and fix things. There is no game day manager or quality control going on at the stadium.
And not to mention the traffic patrol trying to reason with every person with an excuse to get in a lot but yet have no PERMIT. Backs up traffic and delays the entire game day. If you have a delivery or need to set up come before tailgate hours. Simple fix
I would be glad to offer my services and experience for event management. No one every seems to make anything better. Just more emails and what they going to do next year ...... we are better then this I hope. Seems we have out kicked our coverage every game day.
Here ya go...

GAME OPERATIONS - PHONE: 828-262-8447 - FAX: 828-262-2556

Jonathan Reeder Senior Associate Athletics Director for Internal Operations 828-406-5992 reederjb@appstate.edu

John Welch Assistant Athletics Director for Internal Operations and Event Management 828-262-8447 welchje@appstate.edu

Jason Freeman Game Operations Manager 585-645-8794 freemanj4@appstate.edu
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”