Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Unacceptable east side concessions

appswin1

Re: Unacceptable east side concessions

Unread post by appswin1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm

ASU66 thank you for posting this info, I just sent them an email. I would encourage others to do the same.

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 pm

What changed from last year? Lines were manageable and they had what you wanted. This last game I couldn't get a red Gatorade or an orange crush. Had them the frist game. I wasn't going to go stand at another window to find out if they had them there. Maybe I've missed something in other threats but has the management of the confessions changed? Does the school not handle this themselves?

appgrad81

Unread post by appgrad81 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Friend's son left East side seats before halftime to get water and other drinks. Came back well after halftime ended saying he had to walk to West side for water, East side concessions had run out before halftime! Unacceptable! East side should have twice the amount of water on a sunny day, we are sitting in the sun on the East side. It's time to find a professional company who knows how to run concessions and let food service do what they are good at, cafeteria service only!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm

I waited till someone else started this thread bc it was a colossal screw up. I took pics of the 20+ minute long (timed) and texted them to the guy I spoke with last week named John. Nice enough fella but I wasn’t happy. Met another guy named John who was “in charge” and we had a cordial conversation but right behind him was Pam Cline-boss lady-and she wouldn’t give me the time of day. Crowds have been way bigger in the past and they are just missing the mark totally. 20 minutes to get a warm drink then another 10 minutes to walk over under the scoreboard ...unacceptable! Bushleague but Pam Cline not standing up to criticism is awful. No signage about ice only under scoreboard and 2$ for wax paper cup...they suck...that’s it...period. I’ve tried to be understanding but hearing more and more complaints is just down right incompetence or arrogance.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:57 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm
I waited till someone else started this thread bc it was a colossal screw up. I took pics of the 20+ minute long (timed) and texted them to the guy I spoke with last week named John. Nice enough fella but I wasn’t happy. Met another guy named John who was “in charge” and we had a cordial conversation but right behind him was Pam Cline-boss lady-and she wouldn’t give me the time of day. Crowds have been way bigger in the past and they are just missing the mark totally. 20 minutes to get a warm drink then another 10 minutes to walk over under the scoreboard ...unacceptable! Bushleague but Pam Cline not standing up to criticism is awful. No signage about ice only under scoreboard and 2$ for wax paper cup...they suck...that’s it...period. I’ve tried to be understanding but hearing more and more complaints is just down right incompetence or arrogance.
Based on your comments re: Ms. Cline, it's time for our AD to take control of this situation. If he is as concerned about selling season tickets as he says he is, he'll respond. By the way, if you're reading this comment as a criticism of Gillin, you're misreading it; I like him, and I think he'll respond to the fans' concerns. By the way, if there is still a student section on the East side of the stadium, the students need to be made aware of it. The student section on the West side is filling up quickly, resulting in a major cluster---- in the entrances and aisles, and the students are attempting to sit in seats held by season-ticket holders. I guess taking the north end zone seating away is creating some of this.

The students deserve a place to sit. Figure it out, DG.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm

WXAPP wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am
I was on both sides of the stadium for concessions, and lines were deep all over. In future reno plans, both sides, East, more so than West, need more windows.

That cup of ice thing under the scoreboard, really didn't make much sense.

I get that one can expect deep lines during big games, it's part of the day, but, yeah, we aren't where we should be for the vending side of life of late. I guess a work in progress.

Props to the concession folks for keeping a smile and sense of humor for a tough day; at least the folks I encountered.

We could benefit from some TV's under the stands, while we are waiting in the long lines, so we can keep up on the game. Hated to miss a chunk or two of the action.
I may have dreamed this, but didn't we have TVs near the concessions during our FCS championship runs?? With today's technology that should be a slam dunk.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm
WXAPP wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am
I was on both sides of the stadium for concessions, and lines were deep all over. In future reno plans, both sides, East, more so than West, need more windows.

That cup of ice thing under the scoreboard, really didn't make much sense.

I get that one can expect deep lines during big games, it's part of the day, but, yeah, we aren't where we should be for the vending side of life of late. I guess a work in progress.

Props to the concession folks for keeping a smile and sense of humor for a tough day; at least the folks I encountered.

We could benefit from some TV's under the stands, while we are waiting in the long lines, so we can keep up on the game. Hated to miss a chunk or two of the action.
I may have dreamed this, but didn't we have TVs near the concessions during our FCS championship runs?? With today's technology that should be a slam dunk.
Sure did. Need them in the crapper too.😀

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 pm

GoBoone wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 am
We're spoiled. Drink some spit.
Want to clarify, our own or someone else’s?

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm

How about sending some vendors into the crowd to sell the water/drinks in a bottle. People can buy without extending the concessions lines. We used to do that.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:31 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm
How about sending some vendors into the crowd to sell the water/drinks in a bottle. People can buy without extending the concessions lines. We used to do that.
Water, soda, hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn could all be sold in the stands.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:05 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm
I'm with you, John. It's truly mesmerizing how far our concessions have fallen and how fast! And frankly, our concessions have been mediocre for years. Nothing special, nothing unique...high school at best. The buck stops at the top and Pam Cline must go. In the stadium management business, your leash is very short. Customers only get 6 or maybe 7 "experiences" a year so each experience carries a ton of weight and each impression is a make it or break it opportunity. She, her staff, and ASU Food Services is 0-for-2. I'm willing to bet they'll go 0-for-3 in a couple weeks. In reading Cline's bio I see nothing that indicates she would have the slightest idea about what she is doing. It sounds like her "passion" is in the, pardon my description, artsy/fartsy food concepts of those with "special" dietary needs and desires. Great news for our students during the week at the various dining halls around campus but in no way does that translate to mass-service stadiums ops where all the average fan cares about is a warm dog, decent amount of cheese with their nachos, and a damn cold soda, with ice. Food services at a stadium/arena are akin to going to Costco for your groceries, not Whole Foods. It's about covering the basics consistently with speed and value for your buck every time. We're sucking at it.

jm18668

Unread post by jm18668 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:27 pm

This is our first year running everything in house, a choice I'm guessing was driven to retain as much revenue as possible. I don't expect to have an expert in stadium operations on our staff that would be able to hit the ground running. There are going to be some hurdles, and we've seen them react to a few of those already. I'm just glad that we have 20K+ fans in our stadium for games. Keep supporting the programs and let's trust those at the top to keep addressing our needs. #BeatAState

*** If you're not a Yosef Club member, think about making a donation. There are over 400 people reading this site right now. A donation of $10 a month would make a huge impact. They closer we get to fully funding our program, the more we can spend money on improved concessions, TVs in the concourse and restroom, and other game day improvements
Brad Manning '99
Raleigh, NC

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm

I haven't been to a game yet this year but the East concessions have been a problem for years, and it seems like nothing's changed. As someone said, all the cashiers should be fed from a single line that snakes around. The way they do it with multiple lines that cross the flow of traffic is just ridiculous. There's really not much room under there which is all the more reason to use it smartly.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm amazed that the powers that be though that transitioning everything in house would be a good thing.

And I'm surprised that Gillen and/or athletics have been silent so far. In fact, I'm disappointed in the silence.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:25 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:31 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
I could be mistaken, but when I was there from '79 to '83, seems like some Olympic sports teams (wrestling maybe) sold drinks in the stands as a fundraiser for their programs. We may be past that sort of thing now but i always respected that kind of work ethic.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:31 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Larry Culpepper needs a job... Ice cold Dr. Pepper here!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:55 pm

In talking to the second guy named John on Saturday, we had a very good discussion and I was very respectful and told him that I knew he had a tough job. There has to be a better system. I know u just can’t add this or that to alleviate problems without dealing with health codes and fire codes and budgets. EXCUSE THE CAPS...BUT WE TOLD THEM YOU CANT KEEP DRINKS COLD IN COOLERS CONSTANLTY OPENING AND CLOSING OR AFTER RESTOCKING! It’s a sad day when I think I’m the smartest person in the room and right now, it’s a sad day! Some here will have you convinced that bitching about these little problems is silly. I love it when I talk to friends about the awesome play they just missed because they spent 20 minutes in one line only to be told they need to walk halfway to west side to buy a flippin cup of ice...for the warm drink they just sold you even though...THEY ASSURRED ALL OF US FANS(MINIONS) THAT THE DRINKS WERE GONNA BE...CCCCCCCOLD!
But enjoy the new always fresh popcorn and brisket nachos. Big Effin Whup!
Again, on a positive note...the hotdogs are better but I’m not gonna spend my usual $30-40 if I have to wait. Hell, it took so long, when I got back to my seat, my son went from 7th grade to 9th grade and his voice had changed!

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:57 pm

I want to thank everyone for their response to this thread. Especially for providing names & numbers of those responsible for the feiasco called “concessions”. I intend to call every one of them- not email but call.

There were 4 of us 70 year olds sitting in 213 in the hot sun.... all we wanted was a cool drink of water.

Thank you all!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 pm

I propose IV stations on the east side for that strange mix of elderly troopers and young drunken fools.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 pm

And, for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”