Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Updated Polls

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Updated Polls

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:19 pm

I get that missing out on that game sucks, and some will argue that we haven’t played anyone besides Penn St. but we the teams that we played in the dominant fashion that a ranked team should be expected to do.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Has Alabama played anyone? Most still think they are the best though.
BLACK SATURDAY

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:27 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:19 pm
I get that missing out on that game sucks, and some will argue that we haven’t played anyone besides Penn St. but we the teams that we played in the dominant fashion that a ranked team should be expected to do.
I think that may be some of their points though. We've only done what's expected, besides playing Penn State so close. But we are going to have to come through against tougher opponents to win most of these voters over. I'm ok with that. I think this team is more than capable of doing that.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:29 pm

I remember when Dabo called for a FG to make it 41-10 versus App in 2015 and wondered why he did that. When they went up in the polls, I realized that 40-something looked a lot better than 30-something to poll voters who don't watch every game and just look at numbers.

Style points matter. Scoring 50-something looks really good.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

“Winning big” is a bit of a misnomer. You can win a game big because the other team makes mistakes or we get lucky breaks. The eye test is a reality of college football and for the first time, I think we pass for a top 25 team.

We look dominant. We play dominant. We move the ball efficiently on the ground and in the air. We don’t require a niche offense or trick plays. And on defense we control the game. We also have players on both sides of the ball that are talented enough to suit up with most P5 teams. In the past I thought we “outkicked our coverage” so to speak, by our coaching and out-scheming teams with more talented players, we were just a better team. Now I think we are more talented and better coached.

Obviously none of this matters if we lay an egg on Tuesday. But based on what I’ve seen, we should roll. It’s a neat thing to check the 20-25 teams every week and hope they lose so we can sneak in. And it’s a huge deal for the future of our program to get that # beside our name. Go Apps.
YNWA

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 pm
Has Alabama played anyone? Most still think they are the best though.
According to all the advanced analytics they're heads and shoulders above everyone. They've averaged a 42 point win so far this season. The adanced analytics say the rest of the top 5 would only win by an average of 25 points against their same schedule. IE Alabama is more than 2 touchdowns better.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:12 am

Let's just beat Arkansas State. I dont care if it's by one point or 30. Just win the game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm
It will help when we actually beat someone. We have been impressive so far but we haven't beaten a team with a winning record. If we survive the next three weeks, we'll have something to talk about. But, I understand why we aren't in the top 25 at the moment.
Nobody's going to put us in the top 25 for beating what would be a 3-3 A-State team, or certainly not ULL. Maybe if Southern is 6-1, beating them would at least allow us to stop hearing about how everyone we've beaten is terrible.

Ultimately, though, it's mostly about us just taking care of business while others lose. Only game that could possibly move the needle for us would be if Troy and App both win out until that game. Then both could potentially be ranked, or at least close.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:29 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 am
hapapp wrote:
It will help when we actually beat someone. We have been impressive so far but we haven't beaten a team with a winning record. If we survive the next three weeks, we'll have something to talk about. But, I understand why we aren't in the top 25 at the moment.
Nobody's going to put us in the top 25 for beating what would be a 3-3 A-State team, or certainly not ULL. Maybe if Southern is 6-1, beating them would at least allow us to stop hearing about how everyone we've beaten is terrible.

Ultimately, though, it's mostly about us just taking care of business while others lose. Only game that could possibly move the needle for us would be if Troy and App both win out until that game. Then both could potentially be ranked, or at least close.
I don't disagree but if, and that's a huge if, we win the next three in convincing fashion, we likely get some strong consideration. But, I prefer not think that far ahead. We just need to take care of the business directly in front of us. Being ranked is the wrong focus.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 am

EastHallApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Disagree with you. We are on national TV, if we beat them and look solid in all phases of the game doing it then we will get more voters. Remember, we picked up two new voters this past week without playing a snap.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 am

Staying for the entire game, cheering them on as they go for the Win is all we can control.

Things (polls) we cannot control should not be our focus. We are a respected G5 team in a lower tier G5 conference. We will be recognized in the top 25 when voters believe it is appropriate.

I ask everyone to support this “special” App State team in all three phases and for “All” 4 Quarters. Any App State team we think should be in the AP or Coaches poll, should not be playing in a half emptied stadium in the middle of the 3rd Quarter, regardless of the score.

We are a passionate bunch of App State Alumni and fans, it is time for us to put more GAS “Give, Attend and Stay” to our Athletics Programs and GameDay experiences.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 am
EastHallApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Disagree with you. We are on national TV, if we beat them and look solid in all phases of the game doing it then we will get more voters. Remember, we picked up two new voters this past week without playing a snap.
Exactly - because teams ahead of us lost.

But yes, winning impressively when we're the only game on that night certainly wouldn't hurt.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am

For all the "our focus" posts, here's the obligatory reminder that this is a message board, none of us are players or coaches, and whatever we "focus" on isn't going to determine whether the team wins or loses.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am
For all the "our focus" posts, here's the obligatory reminder that this is a message board, none of us are players or coaches, and whatever we "focus" on isn't going to determine whether the team wins or loses.
That is totally true BUT..we can get ice in the stadium!

tnave94

Unread post by tnave94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 am

AppNation85 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm
Here’s the people who voted for App:
@Jason_Galloway -24
@EHansenNDI -20
@lebrownlow -23
@TomMurphyADG -25

Here’s some people I think could be swayed:
@ScottH4456 -Winston Salem Journal/WakeForest

@MattBrownCFB -The Athletic/Penn state

@ConorOneillWSJ -Winston salem Journal/WakeForest
Ha! Shoutout to those that engaged in respectful discussion with Lauren Brownlow about not giving us votes last week, and now she does this week.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 am

EastHallApp wrote:
If you are referring to me, I was speaking not of the team but myself. Getting ranked is a short term target, winning the conference is the real prize. That said, players can get caught up in the hoopla as well. But, thanks nonetheless for your always sage advice.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:34 am

johnoralex wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm
App is up to #31 in the AP with 11 votes

App is up to #29 with 38 votes in the coaches poll.

That said, just keep winning!
Y'all, these are points not votes. Four individual writers voted for us in the AP which netted us eleven points based upon where the placed us. For reference, Bama is first with over fifteen hundred points.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:43 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 am
EastHallApp wrote:
If you are referring to me, I was speaking not of the team but myself. Getting ranked is a short term target, winning the conference is the real prize. That said, players can get caught up in the hoopla as well. But, thanks nonetheless for your always sage advice.
Finishing in the top 25 would be a far bigger deal than winning the Sun Belt imo.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:34 am
johnoralex wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm
App is up to #31 in the AP with 11 votes

App is up to #29 with 38 votes in the coaches poll.

That said, just keep winning!
Y'all, these are points not votes. Four individual writers voted for us in the AP which netted us eleven points based upon where the placed us. For reference, Bama is first with over fifteen hundred points.
Excellent point. Still good getting recognized. We are not some fluke. Interesting stat about Alabama was mentioned this morning on the radio. They haven’t played a team yet with a defense ranked in the top 50. I still think they are the best but like the rankings, let the games play out.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 am

tnave94 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 am
AppNation85 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm
Here’s the people who voted for App:
@Jason_Galloway -24
@EHansenNDI -20
@lebrownlow -23
@TomMurphyADG -25

Here’s some people I think could be swayed:
@ScottH4456 -Winston Salem Journal/WakeForest

@MattBrownCFB -The Athletic/Penn state

@ConorOneillWSJ -Winston salem Journal/WakeForest
Ha! Shoutout to those that engaged in respectful discussion with Lauren Brownlow about not giving us votes last week, and now she does this week.
She was pretty cool about. She liked the fact that we could have a civil conversation about it without becoming unhinged. But she is 110% about the ACC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”