Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Best win out % in College Football

ASUPATCH
School: Appalachian State

Best win out % in College Football

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:47 pm

While checking the ESPN power rankings there is a neat computerized stat. Percentage chance to win out. App has been given the highest chance in NCAA.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... eamratings
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

bigdaddyg

Re: Best win out % in College Football

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am

Not easy to interpret but is the projection having us a lose another game? If so they are predicting Troy to beat us?

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:05 am

Our strength of schedule is 125/130, which is one reason they have our win out % so high. Regardless, we can only beat the teams we play and 12-1 with a 4th straight bowl win would be awesome.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am
Not easy to interpret but is the projection having us a lose another game? If so they are predicting Troy to beat us?
No, it's saying we have the best chance of any team in college football to win all of our remaining games. It's giving us a 50.9% chance of winning out and a 71.7% chance of winning our conference (the third and fourth columns). We're the only team in FBS with a greater than 50% chance of winning out. You can sort by Win Out % and see that Clemson is next in line with 47.1%, followed by Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Alabama in the 30s and Penn State, North Texas and Army in the 20s. The vast majority of schools are in the single digits, and everyone else in the SunBelt has a 2.7% or lower chance of winning out. (Quite a few SunBelt teams are given a 0.0% chance of winning out, though I don't know how they can be certain. After all, we were 1-5 at this point a few years ago, were we not? And we won out.)

This drills down a little more per game: http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... &year=2018
Per the win projections listed there, our best chance at a loss actually comes against GaSo, where we're predicted to have a 77% chance of winning. It gives us an 86.9% chance of beating Troy and an 89.7% chance of beating Coastal. The rest of the games have win probs in the high 90s.

Edited to add: Okay, so the win out probability is defined as such: "Percent of season simulations in which team won all remaining scheduled games as well as conference championship game (if applicable)." So in addition to it being unlikely that some of those teams win their remaining regular season games, they would also need to make and win the conf. championship to win out. Since I suppose some SBC teams are already eliminated from the possibility of going to and winning the conference championship, I can see the 0.0% of winning out.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 am

appchicago wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am
No, it's saying we have the best chance of any team in college football to win all of our remaining games. It's giving us a 50.9% chance of winning out and a 71.7% chance of winning our conference (the third and fourth columns). We're the only team in FBS with a greater than 50% chance of winning out. You can sort by Win Out % and see that Clemson is next in line with 47.1%, followed by Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Alabama in the 30s and Penn State, North Texas and Army in the 20s. The vast majority of schools are in the single digits, and everyone else in the SunBelt has a 2.7% or lower chance of winning out. (Quite a few SunBelt teams are given a 0.0% chance of winning out, though I don't know how they can be certain. After all, we were 1-5 at this point a few years ago, were we not? And we won out.)

This drills down a little more per game: http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... &year=2018
Per the win projections listed there, our best chance at a loss actually comes against GaSo, where we're predicted to have a 77% chance of winning. It gives us an 86.9% chance of beating Troy and an 89.7% chance of beating Coastal. The rest of the games have win probs in the high 90s.

Edited to add: Okay, so the win out probability is defined as such: "Percent of season simulations in which team won all remaining scheduled games as well as conference championship game (if applicable)." So in addition to it being unlikely that some of those teams win their remaining regular season games, they would also need to make and win the conf. championship to win out. Since I suppose some SBC teams are already eliminated from the possibility of going to and winning the conference championship, I can see the 0.0% of winning out.
Stop it my head is spinning. I took Stats at App. Hated it then and still do. The ball is funny shaped and there are lots of things that can happen. That being said after the Penn State game I felt confident that we could win out. Best team we have ever had.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

Ha. No worries. Let's just say it this way:

Of all the teams of fellers who play with that funny shaped ball, and all the things that could happen, we have somewhere between a 3-out-of-4 and a 9-out-of-10 chance of winning each game we play from here on out. So, altogether, we have a better than fifty-fifty chance of winning every remaining game, including the conference championship.

Better chance than a coin flip of winning every game we play from here on out. No other team in FBS--including Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State-- can say that.

Of course anything can happen. I am sure our chances of winning out at this point in 2014 when we were 1-5 were very low, but that's what we did.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 am

appchicago wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am
Ha. No worries. Let's just say it this way:

Of all the teams of fellers who play with that funny shaped ball, and all the things that could happen, we have somewhere between a 3-out-of-4 and a 9-out-of-10 chance of winning each game we play from here on out. So, altogether, we have a better than fifty-fifty chance of winning every remaining game, including the conference championship.

Better chance than a coin flip of winning every game we play from here on out. No other team in FBS--including Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State-- can say that.

Of course anything can happen. I am sure our chances of winning out at this point in 2014 when we were 1-5 were very low, but that's what we did.
Excellent point.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 am

The main thing that keeps APP from winning out is an injury bug. Stay healthy and we win out the rest of the season. Now a bowl game isn't included. Hope we can play a P5 somehow, just for a measuring stick purposes.
BLACK SATURDAY

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 am

For the statistically challenged:

Take the % chance of victory from each remaining game http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... &year=2018 and multiply them all together to determine win-out probability for the regular season:

0.97 (ULL) x 0.77 (GaSo) x 0.897 (CCU) x 0.976 (TXST) x 0.967 (GaSt) x 0.869 (Troy) = 0.549 (54.9%)

Therefore the implied likelihood of then winning the conference championship game only must be 0.927 (92.7%) (Sounds about right for an SBC West team coming to Boone) to arrive at their calculated win-out probability of 50.9% :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”