Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN Article- App State New Year 6 Bowl

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: ESPN Article- App State New Year 6 Bowl

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:49 am

Hope all this praise doesn't go to our boys' heads. They don't believe their own hype and just take care of business. Just keep running up the scores.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

#BeatLaLa

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Why are so many people/fans on this board so afraid to enjoy the moment (Whoa! We are WAY ahead of ourselves, only focus on this week, etc)? Whatever we discuss over a beer or on this board should not change the outcome of any game on our schedule. Maybe you guys are still wearing your same underwear from start of season as good luck charm but I don’t believe in that stuff.

Our team either has their head on straight or not and that will determine how they finish the season not what I speculate on this board.

However, along the way I am going to think BIG for our team every chance I get and enjoy the moment.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Personally I hope our players see stuff like this and use it as motivation. It's validation that our program has some big goals within reach.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:17 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:37 pm
Why are so many people/fans on this board so afraid to enjoy the moment (Whoa! We are WAY ahead of ourselves, only focus on this week, etc)? Whatever we discuss over a beer or on this board should not change the outcome of any game on our schedule. Maybe you guys are still wearing your same underwear from start of season as good luck charm but I don’t believe in that stuff.

Our team either has their head on straight or not and that will determine how they finish the season not what I speculate on this board.

However, along the way I am going to think BIG for our team every chance I get and enjoy the moment.
I for one am enjoying the moment. But many on this message board fail to realize that nearly every single member of our football team reads this board. Our coaches do. Our administrators do. When we start talking about "running the table" and New Year's Day bowls and the prospects of an even better season next year, it's only human nature for our players to buy into this board's over-exuberance. That, to me, is dangerous. In college football there's a razor-thin difference between average and excellent. When our players turn their attention from the game in front of them, if only for a second, to something further down the road, then we're in trouble. I certainly understand why so many on here are giddy about this team, but I wish we would tap the brakes a bit on the hubris.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:17 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

I for one am enjoying the moment. But many on this message board fail to realize that nearly every single member of our football team reads this board. Our coaches do. Our administrators do. When we start talking about "running the table" and New Year's Day bowls and the prospects of an even better season next year, it's only human nature for our players to buy into this board's over-exuberance. That, to me, is dangerous. In college football there's a razor-thin difference between average and excellent. When our players turn their attention from the game in front of them, if only for a second, to something further down the road, then we're in trouble. I certainly understand why so many on here are giddy about this team, but I wish we would tap the brakes a bit on the hubris.

I understand that thought, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. But what I don't get is why people who post thoughts like this (and maybe you aren't included, I don't know; if not, don't take this personally) have no problem talking about how the Sun Belt title is supposedly the main prize, the most important goal, and that's what we should be focused on.

Does focusing on the conference title not involve looking past the next opponent? Is it not also won at the end of the season?

Just seems to me that it's less about looking past the next game and more a fear that things like a top 25 ranking and a NY6 bowl are somehow too ambitious for App, and if we talk about them too much and fall short then we'll look bad.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Love the program rise one inch at a time....WE MUST WIN OUT and may the chips fall where they may.......Team can not drift off into LaLaLand
KICK ASS!!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:02 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

Gotta agree with this... Either we got it or we don't. Much like people pissing and moaning about me wanting Liberty to beat Troy. We have a team that can beat ANYONE in the top 25. I say our second string offense and defense are better than 70% of the rest of the NCAA. This team is good, well coached, and they have a special focus like others don't. We will get it done. No worries here. Some of you should stop worrying about being let down and shoot for the stars.
Last edited by ASUTodd on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Team if you are reading...Keep it up, You have the Right Stuff!
BLACK SATURDAY

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Man I think some of you really overestimate the importance of posting on a message board. IF and that’s a big IF, the team and coaches read this and that contributes to us losing. Than as far as I’m concerned we are mental midgets and deserved to lose anyways.

Im a fan to enjoy the good times. Let’s live it up while it lasts.
YNWA

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:32 pm

No matter how much or how little we acknowledge it here, the AP and the Coaches Poll are going rank teams. ESPN, CBS, Yahoo Sports, etc, are going to give credit to teams that are winning. If these coaches or players want to find praise, it's out there.

So why not enjoy it here as well? Sure, we hope it does not go to their heads, but not discussing it here does not make it go away. They will have to learn how to handle success and the attention it brings. These are good problems to have. BEAT UL!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:35 pm

If it goes to their heads, then they can’t handle, and don’t deserve the praise. Simple enough.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:48 pm

UCF, USF and Cincy all are undefeated. They all need to lose twice if App wants a real chance at the NY6.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:48 pm
UCF, USF and Cincy all are undefeated. They all need to lose twice if App wants a real chance at the NY6.
Cincinnati still has to play USF, UCF and Navy.

USF plays Cincinnati obviously, but also UCF and Houston.

UCF still has the aforementioned two and Navy.

So they absolutely can cannibalize each other prior to even meeting in the AAC Championship game.

Optimally they’d all lose a game of those mentioned above then lose to Houston in the AAC Championship game. Of course then we’d have to worry about Houston.

The truth is if any of the 4 win the AAC, even with a loss, I’d argue they deserve to go over us. All the teams mentioned are better than anyone we will see the rest of the season outside of maybe Georgia Southern. So, it’s a long shot, but at least we are in the conversation.
YNWA

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Not necessarily, we just need the winner of the AAC championship game to have two losses.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Nope. Even if they all go 11-1, whichever two don't play for the AAC title are ineligible for the NY6 because they won't be conference champions.

What we need from the AAC is pretty simple: We need Houston to lose at least one more game, and the then West winner (likely Houston) to win the conference title game.

Alternately, Temple could just win the East.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 pm

A 1 loss AAC champ will do as long as it is not UCF. UCF 1 loss finishes ahead of us.
Of course the selection committee top 25 may rank differently than AP.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Bottom line is we gotta win out regular season and CCG (hopefully in Boone). We can’t control what happens in the AAC. Interesting scenarios though.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:39 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 am
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:20 am
This is awesome, if we continue to win this type of discussion will only intensify. Love being in the national discussion...this can only help with recruiting. Need UCF, USF and Cincy to stumble which will happen as AAC conference play moves through their schedule.
BTW, we are on vacation in Florida at the moment and my son wanted to visit UCF and they had an open house which we attended Saturday. UCF has a really strong Computer Science school which my son wanted to see. Anyway, to the important stuff, it was mentioned in the various presentations and sessions, multiple times, about their "National Championship" in football last year and how their winning streak is going to extend into 2019. There were even T-shirts for sale with 2017 National Champions available.
Most people don't know that UCF is the 2nd largest university in the country. UCF, USF, and FIU are all in the top ten. Wonder what percentage is online and off campus for these schools?
They didn't talk about the online program at all but they did pitch their size as an advantage. They are also opening a new campus in downtown Orlando for certain concentrations.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 am

I can see UCF making its way to number 5 but probably won’t grab a top 4. That being said do they get a major bowl bid leaving the NY6 open even if they run the table and still win the AAC?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”