Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Concessions Changes ... Again

App74
School: Appalachian State

Re: Concessions Changes ... Again

Unread post by App74 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:22 am

I'm glad there is some response on this issue but I remain bewildered as to why it became necessary to reinvent the cup. The cooler weather expected will likely reduce demand leaving little to be learned.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 am

Ice was more important for the warm weather games, which it would appear , are past. Ball dropped , plain and simple screw up.I love peanuts , which aren't nuts , but would gladly see them gone rather than having folks facing health issues.I'm thankful my system was preconditioned by eating dirt,earthworms and bugs as a child...

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 am
Ice was more important for the warm weather games, which it would appear , are past. Ball dropped , plain and simple screw up.I love peanuts , which aren't nuts , but would gladly see them gone rather than having folks facing health issues.I'm thankful my system was preconditioned by eating dirt,earthworms and bugs as a child...
Don't forget the boogers. Those are the cornerstone of a toddler diet.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am

Stonewall wrote:
Just an FYI from my perspective in dealing with kids with food allergies. My boys were covered in dirt from the moment they could play outside. They ingested all the above plus boogers. Why my boys have the allergy is still a mystery, no one on either side of the family tree had food issues except a great grandmother. It seems the insinuation is the parents sheltered the kids and didn't let kids be kids. Far from it. Would one make the insinuation if a child developed Type I or II diabetes, cancer, asthma, etc?

Thankfully allergen research science is making strides in taking the peanut/treenut/food allergy issue away. But it's a sloooooow process.

The food allergy issue and discussion is one I have had on numerous occasions with families and individuals. Unfortunately people are sometimes ignorant or misinformed about the issue. I felt this was a good time to put this on the board.

I hold no ill will or animosity towards anyone on this topic. My .02 cents and my perspective.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm

I don’t hold anything against anyone for the allergy thing.

But do wish some would be aware they are pretty common these days. Watch where you are throwing peanut shells/etc.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:50 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am
Stonewall wrote:
Just an FYI from my perspective in dealing with kids with food allergies. My boys were covered in dirt from the moment they could play outside. They ingested all the above plus boogers. Why my boys have the allergy is still a mystery, no one on either side of the family tree had food issues except a great grandmother. It seems the insinuation is the parents sheltered the kids and didn't let kids be kids. Far from it. Would one make the insinuation if a child developed Type I or II diabetes, cancer, asthma, etc?

Thankfully allergen research science is making strides in taking the peanut/treenut/food allergy issue away. But it's a sloooooow process.

The food allergy issue and discussion is one I have had on numerous occasions with families and individuals. Unfortunately people are sometimes ignorant or misinformed about the issue. I felt this was a good time to put this on the board.

I hold no ill will or animosity towards anyone on this topic. My .02 cents and my perspective.
Yeah, but I had to ban peanuts from the dugout because of you! :lol:

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:57 pm

And I appreciate that. So did my son.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Wait.... nevermind.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:00 pm

And another point I want to make - Once you see your child go through an anaphylatic reaction, you do everything to keep another from happening.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am
Stonewall wrote:

Like I said above, I think there are so many environmental and genealogical factors that go into this. Just as much I believe hand sanitizer contributes, I believe in what you say as well. We take for granted how complicated God created us as beings. I developed pretty bad mold, grass, and pollen allergies as a teenager. Came out of nowhere. And this is after I grew up mowing yards and doing yard work. A lot of it came as a result of my septum becoming increasingly deviated as I grew. Physiological, environmental.... they all play a part.
The Appalachian State

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:59 pm

My oldest was showing signs of a peanut allergy, and her doctor, who has some country ways, advised that we wait a few months and slowly introduce them into her diet to build up a tolerance. It worked for her, though I realize it might not work for everyone.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:35 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:59 pm
My oldest was showing signs of a peanut allergy, and her doctor, who has some country ways, advised that we wait a few months and slowly introduce them into her diet to build up a tolerance. It worked for her, though I realize it might not work for everyone.
Wow! The concept of introducing low dosage amounts of allergens, is what allergists (Doctors) have been approved to do in their offices. It's called food challenges. To do that on your own.....makes my skin crawl. I'm glad it worked out for your daughter.

Hopefully in the future we may take the food challenge, building up the tolerance but it's a looooong process.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:03 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:35 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:59 pm
Wow! The concept of introducing low dosage amounts of allergens, is what allergists (Doctors) have been approved to do in their offices. It's called food challenges. To do that on your own.....makes my skin crawl. I'm glad it worked out for your daughter.

Hopefully in the future we may take the food challenge, building up the tolerance but it's a looooong process.
I know. But it worked. And she loves peanut butter.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:49 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 am
Stonewall wrote:
Don't forget the boogers. Those are the cornerstone of a toddler diet.
Nope. Never was a booger guy , I preferred crawling insects they tell me.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 pm

1. "Bottomless" Hot Chocolate and Coffee was empty by the 3rd Q under the East Stands
2. Fried Apple Pies were moved from under the stands to the end of the stands this year (supposedly fire marshal driven). Today, they were not on the east side.
3. Can we please get a few touchless water refill stations to fill water bottles? Charlotte has them in their stadium.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 pm
1. "Bottomless" Hot Chocolate and Coffee was empty by the 3rd Q under the East Stands
2. Fried Apple Pies were moved from under the stands to the end of the stands this year (supposedly fire marshal driven). Today, they were not on the east side.
3. Can we please get a few touchless water refill stations to fill water bottles? Charlotte has them in their stadium.
I can't speak to #1...thought about trying it but figured "bottomless" might not really be "bottomless". As for #2, I purchased a pie pre-game on the State side so they were there. The stand was located just out from underneath the stands, right beside the ramp, as you walked towards Miller Hill. And I'm right along with you on #3. I always use the water fountains to fill up my soda bottle but it would be nice to have a few actual touchless stations, where the flow and speed would be more consistent. Loved that feature at CLT.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:21 am

Now about the rest room situation....

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:54 am

Stadium cups and ice. Is it really that complicated? Every other school seems to have solved this complex equation.

jm18668

Re: Concessions Changes ... Again (Still not there)

Unread post by jm18668 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:18 am

I waited until after the band preformed at halftime to head down and grab a drink. It was difficult to get out of the 204 (West) tunnel since the line for the "bottomless" hot chocolate had backed up all the way across the concourse. Immediately next to it was a line stretching across the concourse in the other direction from the central concession stand.

Is it really a fire code issue to have line stations and some semblance of order?

Brad Manning '99
Raleigh, NC

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:36 am

I spoke with a person in concessions and asked them if stadium souvenir cups were available and he told me to go to the bookstore. Bookstore? Stadium cups? There were stadium cups, however, therein lies the issues. The cups were 32 oz, in my mind a little too large though they did supply ice. You had to get the bottled drink and pour it into the cup with ice. You had to go to a stand alone drink area to get this and it was $5. If you were getting food too, stand in line twice. A 16 oz stadium cup filled with ice and drink would be great where you could also get food.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”