Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Concessions Changes ... Again

DaphneUrquhart
School: Appalachian State

Concessions Changes ... Again

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am

After fumbling the opening snap and throwing a pick six on the next possession, the concessions offerings have been tweaked for this week's family weekend game. Here are the changes so far ...

2 additional cups, ice & drink stands will be offered - 1 in both East & West concourses. 3rd stand will remain behind scoreboard in south end zone

2 additional points of sale in East concourse main concession stand, 2 additional points of sale in West concourse main concession stand

1 additional point of sale at East concourse popcorn/drink station, with new location aimed to improve concourse congestion

Bottled water now offered at each bookstore merchandise location

Peanuts will now be offered as a menu item in main concession stands

Bottomless hot chocolate/coffee will now be offered in main concession stands

Although I've rarely availed myself of anything from the concession stands, I understand the frustration at less than stellar service and absence of cold beverages. Constructive criticism counts, folks. Stick to facts in your arguments; include time stamped photos of issues. I truly believe the athletics department wants to get this right.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

TheMoody1

Re: Concessions Changes ... Again

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 am

Real stadium cups or the flimsy paper ones?

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:52 am

Hope that can help. Given there'll be more people this weekend, we'll see how much horrible experiences happen again.

Little shocked the shelled peanuts keep staying. Freaks my daughter out when she goes. Peanuts everywhere and she's deathly allergic.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:12 am

biggie wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:52 am
Hope that can help. Given there'll be more people this weekend, we'll see how much horrible experiences happen again.

Little shocked the shelled peanuts keep staying. Freaks my daughter out when she goes. Peanuts everywhere and she's deathly allergic.
I was surprised at the peanuts, too. I love peanuts but think about all the folks now who are allergic to them. In my mind, those would be the easiest thing to do without.

Like you say, we'll see how well the additions work with the largest crowd of the year ...

#GiveYosef

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am
After fumbling the opening snap and throwing a pick six on the next possession, the concessions offerings have been tweaked for this week's family weekend game. Here are the changes so far ...

2 additional cups, ice & drink stands will be offered - 1 in both East & West concourses. 3rd stand will remain behind scoreboard in south end zone

2 additional points of sale in East concourse main concession stand, 2 additional points of sale in West concourse main concession stand

1 additional point of sale at East concourse popcorn/drink station, with new location aimed to improve concourse congestion

Bottled water now offered at each bookstore merchandise location

Peanuts will now be offered as a menu item in main concession stands

Bottomless hot chocolate/coffee will now be offered in main concession stands

Although I've rarely availed myself of anything from the concession stands, I understand the frustration at less than stellar service and absence of cold beverages. Constructive criticism counts, folks. Stick to facts in your arguments; include time stamped photos of issues. I truly believe the athletics department wants to get this right.
I still don't understand the separate stands for cups and ice. Those need to be available at the main concessions windows! Why should we have to stand in longer lines to get that? And do they have other stuff there or will we have to go to one window to get a hot dog and then a whole other one to wait for our cold drinks. That could take a quarter and a half! Why are they being so stupid about this?

Boonedoc

Unread post by Boonedoc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Ughh. Our daughter is anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts as well. It’s been nice not having to worry about it this year

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Boonedoc wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm
Ughh. Our daughter is anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts as well. It’s been nice not having to worry about it this year
Make your voice heard to the folks in Athletics ... please. The athletics business is customer driven. If the customers speak clearly enough, they will be heard and heeded or the brand will ultimately flop.

#GiveYosef

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I still don't understand the separate stands for cups and ice. Those need to be available at the main concessions windows! Why should we have to stand in longer lines to get that? And do they have other stuff there or will we have to go to one window to get a hot dog and then a whole other one to wait for our cold drinks. That could take a quarter and a half! Why are they being so stupid about this?
I don't know the "why" on any of these decisions. A polite call to the Athletic Department might provide some insight.

#GiveYosef

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 am
Real stadium cups or the flimsy paper ones?
No clue.

#GiveYosef

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Sort of off-subject...but what exactly has caused such a massive explosion in peanut allergies in recent years? I'm entering my late-30's and personally know of not a single individual my age with an allergy to peanuts, and didn't know of anyone with an allergy (at least diagnosed/known) growing up. However, it seems like so many youth now have them. My GF is an elementary school teacher and it is CRAZY how many students of hers have peanut allergies or something similar each school year. Just curious as to what those who live with it, or have researched it, believe to be the main factor(s).

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm
Boonedoc wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm
Make your voice heard to the folks in Athletics ... please. The athletics business is customer driven. If the customers speak clearly enough, they will be heard and heeded or the brand will ultimately flop.
I have helped provide EMS standby for App games in the past and I know that there are paramedics stationed around the stadium with advanced life support equipment and medications. That being said, I know no one wants to activate an EMS response if they don't have to but it's better to get it started and not needed than the other way around. Also, I would hope Epi pens are allowed.

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

Wow, I loved shelled peanuts at games and have never thought about those around me potentially having peanut allergies. Yikes. I’ll think twice about getting those again.

I also appreciate the effort, even if small, to try to improve the concessions situation.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Pack the EpiPen for those who have a concern about peanut (nut) allergies. My nephew has a similar problem, we are more dialed into the issue. But, doesn't mean we remove the peanuts from the home or venue.
Twitter: @wxcrum

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:56 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I don't know the "why" on any of these decisions. A polite call to the Athletic Department might provide some insight.
There are so many cost and logistics that factor into game day concessions. A lot of things get easily overlooked or not considered due to inexperience. I’ve mentioned it before, there is a reason why most schools contract their food service to the Compass/Sodexo/Armarks of the world. These guys are experts and even they make mistakes, albeit they have the resources and know how to correct things quickly. The ultimate goal is to have patrons seamlessly and efficiently visit the concession stands and have everything that they could possibly want to buy right in front of them. Their goal should be larger register rings. Sending fans to multiple stations to complete their concession visit is just bad business.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:09 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm
Sort of off-subject...but what exactly has caused such a massive explosion in peanut allergies in recent years? I'm entering my late-30's and personally know of not a single individual my age with an allergy to peanuts, and didn't know of anyone with an allergy (at least diagnosed/known) growing up. However, it seems like so many youth now have them. My GF is an elementary school teacher and it is CRAZY how many students of hers have peanut allergies or something similar each school year. Just curious as to what those who live with it, or have researched it, believe to be the main factor(s).
I’ve heard multiple reasons- the one that makes sense is lack of exposure to certain germs and things while these kids are at young ages. Do you remember having a bottle of hand sanitizer at every turn when you were a kid? I sure don’t. I was eating stuff off the floor justifying it by saying “three second rule” and drinking water from creeks in the woods.

My wife was a teacher for ten years and it seemed like half of her classes were allergic to something or were on meds for something. I think as a society we have become more sensitive to things that we probably never considered in the past. Add in new scientific findings and new additives/preservatives that have drastically skewed our diets.... it’s just a ton of environmental factors that have altered mental and physical attributes of society. This is just how evolution works over time....
The Appalachian State

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm

My daughter developed the peanut/treenut allergy at 18 months after loving pistachios until then. She’s had 2 reactions first one and then one at Olive Garden because they didn’t clean the plate/silverware from pecans on the menu. Luckily nothing since she was 4, she’s 12 now. Carries an epipen everywhere and doesn’t trust food without research.

Our 3 year old a dairy allergy though not too severe. Just stomach issues with too much of it.

Luckily our 7 year old doesn’t have anything that we know of. But he’s the pickiest kid about food ever.

So I’d guess some of it is heireditary. Even though I don’t have any on my side of the family. And my 2 oldest aren’t mine biologically.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 pm

I am glad they are making changes and appreciate the willingness to listen. I would really like a souvenir cup just to keep around the house. And in the hotter months I do want that ice. At this point I am not as worried.

Now for the contrarian view:
However I am glad App Food Services is handling concessions. I imagine the pay and benefits are a bit (or a lot) better than having Sodexho or Aramark or other 3rd party companies. There is not much in the area beyond the university so I don't like seeing them lead the charge to lower wages.

Having non-profit groups run a concession stand is also fine as a 2nd alternative. The Greensboro Coliseum used to do this but stopped this themselves many years ago due to having trouble with groups having enough workers from my understanding. I did this at a Greensboro Grasshoppers game a few years ago for my daughter's high school softball team. I had some concerns with that since the Hoppers is a for-profit concern and I wanted to make sure that the donation going to the school's athletic fund was at least enough to cover minimum wage that would have been paid had the Hoppers had to hire their own employees. It was close enough but I did not want to have the group get $200 and give $1000 in labor if being paid even minimum wage. At that point I was giving a donation to the Hoppers.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:10 pm

I keep seeing on here to say something if you want to be heard. It seems to me the cups & ice for the concessions were working fine for football games, so why fix something that is not broken. I would like to see the stadium cups brought back and I know a lot of other fans that do also. We use ours all year round and love having them
Give Em Hell!!

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:56 pm

biggie wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:52 am

I've got two children with peanut/tree nuts allergies. One is approaching college age. I'm right there with you Biggie.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Let’s see what happens.

Btw, I have had allergies for 40+ years and 6 months ago I went to a Korean acupuncturist and it is amazing how the allergies went away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”