Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

APP STATE vs LaLaLand!

AppOrange
School: Appalachian State

Re: APP STATE vs LaLaLand!

Unread post by AppOrange » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:46 pm

The stinks schedule this year is a joke. All their tough games are at home. I don't know what we are looking at Thursday night.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 pm

What happened to the H-back wheel route when the defense stacks the box? Seems App is content trying to block 8 guys using 5 and expecting Evans to make at least 3 guys miss.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:46 pm
The stinks schedule this year is a joke. All their tough games are at home. I don't know what we are looking at Thursday night.
I'm hopeful for less rushing attempts with 8 guys in the box and a single high safety. Evans is as good of a receiver as a running back so utilize that to catch the defense off guard. A bubble screen design wouldn't be difficult to draw up and execute on a short week in case an audible is needed.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Jalin Moore is , was , the best player in the Sunbelt .He would have dominated today’s game ,assuming the play calling was consistent.We miss him greatly ,now other elements of the offense , all of them , are going to have to step up.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm

We need to run more option.....

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 pm

50% passing today, a lot of drops in tight coverage and an interception. Running game actually did ok.
GaSo will give us thier best shot as well.
LaLaf is a better team than Southern I thinnk.

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Louisiana is pretty good. They have some decent defensive linemen and some athletic cover guys. Well-coached. And we didn't show much on offense. Satterfield knows we may see these guys again on Dec. 1.

At the same time, he chewed Zac's tail several times today. Kept things very vanilla, but I think Zac either screwed up some RPOs or went the wrong way with the ball a couple of times. He also appeared to be late with the ball two or three times. Sometimes it can be easy to forget he's a first-year starter.

But here's the thing: this App defense is REALLY good. Hated they gave up that late TD, which will skew the stats, but this was very nearly their 5th straight game allowing no points in the second half.

Zac will work things out, and Satt will find the right mix of plays for him and the new RB rotation. And this defense ain't going nowhere.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:27 pm

We have now given up 7 points in 2nd half in the last 5 games played and those were in waning minutes of a game we had in control. You are right the defense did their part once again. Offense does not seem as strong as they looked early in season but still put up points. Had some penalties that stalled some drives as well.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:27 pm
We have now given up 7 points in 2nd half in the last 5 games played and those were in waning minutes of a game we had in control. You are right the defense did their part once again. Offense does not seem as strong as they looked early in season but still put up points. Had some penalties that stalled some drives as well.
yeah, 2 holding calls on 75. I don't remember him getting penalized in a long time. Maybe LaLa had a quick defensive end that was close to getting past him a few times.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 pm

I think our biggest offensive problem was the formations. 2 tight ends and a WR motioning behind effectively makes for a 1 man route. It allowed them to sit 10 guys within 10 yards of the ball. We really need to spread out to more 3 and 4 WR sets to help avoid getting the box stacked against us.

That being said, our defense is very good. Speed at all 3 levels and Akeem Davis Gaither is a monster.

What has been most impressive so far this year is the vast improvement in all areas on special teams.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:17 pm

ADG is a beast!
KICK ASS!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:52 am

firemoose wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 pm
Just a heads up for those heading into the stadium. Check out the benches our guests brought with them today. And for those not at the game I'll give you two words...propane heated.... :oops: . Would love to see that on Sports Center tonight. Only one word I can think of for that but it breaks the board rules. :roll:
I saw it and took a photo warm benches, with a propane heater and a salamander? 50+ degrees?
Bwwwaaaaaaaa!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:18 am

WarApp wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:13 pm
Louisiana is pretty good. They have some decent defensive linemen and some athletic cover guys. Well-coached. And we didn't show much on offense. Satterfield knows we may see these guys again on Dec. 1.

At the same time, he chewed Zac's tail several times today. Kept things very vanilla, but I think Zac either screwed up some RPOs or went the wrong way with the ball a couple of times. He also appeared to be late with the ball two or three times. Sometimes it can be easy to forget he's a first-year starter.

But here's the thing: this App defense is REALLY good. Hated they gave up that late TD, which will skew the stats, but this was very nearly their 5th straight game allowing no points in the second half.

Zac will work things out, and Satt will find the right mix of plays for him and the new RB rotation. And this defense ain't going nowhere.
I completely agree. I’m not sure why people on other threads thought we played so poorly. ULaLa is a good team. They are averaging something like 45 points a game against teams that aren’t Top 25 SEC West teams. I fully expect to see Louisiana in the Sun Belt title game. App managed to beat them without much stress and without having to go past page 2 of the playbook.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:06 pm
falcoapp wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Weird game. I think we are holding back on the playbook and getting our RBs used to heavy workloads. Grind it out type win against what I think is the Sun Belt Wests best team.
Definitely what I felt like we were doing. The whole game seemed to be that "conservative" Satterfield Floyd Mayweather type play calling. Jab jab jab, occasional shot to see what lands. He never opened it up. Maybe he thought we did not need to.
Ethan Joyce’s W-S Journal article that also runs in the Gboro paper has a bit from Evans about this. Basically he felt like he found a weak spot and was wanting to exploit it as much as possible,
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 am

The biggest issue I saw was some slight hesitation from ZT all night. There were a handful of passes he waited too long on that would have been big hitters and the score would have looked a lot different. They weren't devastating, but were definitely drive killers. The jump ball to the smallest receiver on the team did not make sense either. This was definitely ZTs worst game, but I know he'll be hitting the film room hard and appreciate the W nevertheless.
The Appalachian State

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:07 am

In a nutshell, it's great to have a team that even when they play somewhat flat still win. And, the game is never in doubt?

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:23 am

I'll add, we miss Jalin Moore's blocking on pass plays.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:35 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:23 am
I'll add, we miss Jalin Moore's blocking on pass plays.
That might be the best observation ever. I knew it was something we we're missing and that right there is it. Excellent insight.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 am

WarApp wrote:

I did see Satt giving Zac the business quite a few times as he was making his way to the sideline. I’d say your statement about the wrong choices on RPOs is correct. Not only that, there were a few times he was looking to pull the ball and Evans ripped through it and took it anyway, like I referenced in another post, Zac was very indecisive today (throwing and RPOs). Very uncharacteristic of him based on his body of work to date.
The Appalachian State

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 am
WarApp wrote:

I did see Satt giving Zac the business quite a few times as he was making his way to the sideline. I’d say your statement about the wrong choices on RPOs is correct. Not only that, there were a few times he was looking to pull the ball and Evans ripped through it and took it anyway, like I referenced in another post, Zac was very indecisive today (throwing and RPOs). Very uncharacteristic of him based on his body of work to date.
Yes ZT was off all day. Indecisive, poor decisions and just not sharp in the passing game. It happens, glad we were able to get the win. He'll be back on track next game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”