Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

playing against Scott Sloan defense

appst1979
School: Appalachian State

playing against Scott Sloan defense

Unread post by appst1979 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Who do you feel has the coaching advantage Thursday night? Obviously Scott Sloan knows our offensive tendencies just as we know his defensive tendencies. It should be an interesting chess match, especially in the first quarter. I have every confidence that our coaches will make the appropriate adjustments as the game progresses, and that our overall talent will prevail.

ASU85Grad

Re: playing against Scott Sloan defense

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:39 pm

App has the advantage. Scott S is the head coach for a reason. He did not hesitate to name Sloan’s replacement. Which leads me to believe that SS knew Sloan’s job as well as he did. We all know SS is an offense mind, but I think his defensive mind is very strong.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

APP has the advantage coaching. That was partially decided over the last several signing periods.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 pm

It doesn’t really matter from a coaching standpoint. Sloan doesn’t have the guys that he needs to be successful yet.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Satt vs any coach in the SBC, I’m taking Satt, players still have to execute.

EF200
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by EF200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 pm
It doesn’t really matter from a coaching standpoint. Sloan doesn’t have the guys that he needs to be successful yet.
Not to sure on your analysis. Sloan has brought us bend but don't break mantra and it's improved our defense considerably. Might just surprise y'all come Thursday night.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 pm

appst1979 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm
Who do you feel has the coaching advantage Thursday night? Obviously Scott Sloan knows our offensive tendencies just as we know his defensive tendencies. It should be an interesting chess match, especially in the first quarter. I have every confidence that our coaches will make the appropriate adjustments as the game progresses, and that our overall talent will prevail.
Not sure that is exactly true. S Sloan knew the T Lamb offense, but i really think that Thomas has a different skill set that we utilize. Maybe he knew him from practice but i think the O has a bit of a different wrinkle, enough to present a challenge

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 am

EF200 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 pm
Not to sure on your analysis. Sloan has brought us bend but don't break mantra and it's improved our defense considerably. Might just surprise y'all come Thursday night.
Easy genius. No one is talking philosophy. He is working with what he has and you haven’t really had to deal with the issues of depth yet due to injuries. We know what the scheme is and we know how to block it. We also know where the soft spots are in it and that is where the difference lies. You don’t have the team speed on defense to cover up for the gaps. Aside from Brunson, I’m not sure there is anyone on your starting 11 that could step into our unit and garner significant playing time.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 am

Before last Saturday, the GS defense had only given up 3 points in the first quarter and that includes keeping Clemson off the board until 2nd quarter.

We haven't been exactly on fire on offense in the first quarter our last two outings.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:41 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 am
Before last Saturday, the GS defense had only given up 3 points in the first quarter and that includes keeping Clemson off the board until 2nd quarter.

We haven't been exactly on fire on offense in the first quarter our last two outings.
Until Saturday, we haven’t allowed a TD in the second half since Penn State

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:22 am

Georgia Southern has always had good athletes. Coaching hasn’t been what it should have been since Sewak. I expect a hard fought physical game and I question covering the spread. Short week, rivalry game, anything could happen.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:31 am

hapapp wrote:

Which is why if we win the toss we take the ball first.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 am

We had really good teams the pst few years but not at this level. We have depth and speed and I really don’t think we have unleashed our full offensive arsenal yet. Last Saturday looked like we did what was needed to get the W. If Satt sees that we have a good thing going he doesn’t deviate. The game was in control and it looked like we just eased up at the end.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 am

I'm optimistic because of the way the team has responded to "big games" thus far. Going into the season it appeared that Penn State, Ark State, (So. Miss) and Troy would be our biggest challenges. Stink has been a surprise, but being our biggest rival, it won't be hard for the team to get highly motivated for this one. I actually think playing this one away isn't a disadvantage at all, but an additional motivator. If this team wasn't the least bit intimidated at Happy Valley, I don't think Gnatsboro will phase them. I expect Zack to bounce back and our defense to give us good field position. The possibility of rain and a slower pace doesn't excite me, but if we work in a combination of backs to keep Evans fresh, we should be fine. I'll take Satt in any matchup with Sloan all day.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 am

App91 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 pm
appst1979 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm
Not sure that is exactly true. S Sloan knew the T Lamb offense, but i really think that Thomas has a different skill set that we utilize. Maybe he knew him from practice but i think the O has a bit of a different wrinkle, enough to present a challenge
Correct. This is a different team than what Sloan knew.
The Appalachian State

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am

I don't think by any stretch we have the horses to run with App. I think we're 2-3 years away from leveling the playing field, but here we are sitting at 6-1 and that has surprised even the most optimistic of us GS fans. Naturally, we're all chest-thumping saying we have a chance against yall, but we know it's not reality. HOWEVER, stranger things have happened, the frost is on the pumpkin and yall have to come here and win in Paulson. It'll be a big test for your team, and a MUCH bigger one for ours. BEWARE OCTOBER!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 am

oldfart wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am
I don't think by any stretch we have the horses to run with App. I think we're 2-3 years away from leveling the playing field, but here we are sitting at 6-1 and that has surprised even the most optimistic of us GS fans. Naturally, we're all chest-thumping saying we have a chance against yall, but we know it's not reality. HOWEVER, stranger things have happened, the frost is on the pumpkin and yall have to come here and win in Paulson. It'll be a big test for your team, and a MUCH bigger one for ours. BEWARE OCTOBER!
Your post exactly. App vs Georgia Southern you can throw the records out. It is usually a tight game headed to the 4th quarter. I am excited to be down in Statesboro and glad to have both teams back to prominence.

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:34 am

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:41 am
hapapp wrote:

Until Saturday, we haven’t allowed a TD in the second half since Penn State
Good point! And we came close to keeping that streak alive.

EF200

Unread post by EF200 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:22 am
Georgia Southern has always had good athletes. Coaching hasn’t been what it should have been since Sewak. I expect a hard fought physical game and I question covering the spread. Short week, rivalry game, anything could happen.
Sewak? Sewak was outstanding but try and stay focused. Monken and Fritz would like word with you regarding Georgia Southern's history following Sewak's departure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”