Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App getting love on CFP 25

Snwbrdro

App getting love on CFP 25

Unread post by Snwbrdro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 pm

App getting some discussion on CFP TOP 25 on espnu! Not much but some. It’s a start

AtlantaMountaineer
School: Appalachian State

Re: App getting love on CFP 25

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:23 pm

I saw that as I was waiting for the Troy/USA game, It was on ESPN2. Even Herbie mentioned that App should be considered as one of the top G5 teams along with Central FL and San Jose State. It was amazing to see Apps logo along with the others in discussions of the top 25 teams. Now just keep winning App.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:30 pm

If we can get past GaSo, Houston takes out USF and WASSU takes out Stanford Saturday, it might give us a bit of a bump up to 23-24.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 am

At this point its a game of attrition. If we can keep winning, teams ahead of us will lose and you never know where we could end up.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 am

From the desk of things that we can’t control, best case scenario for us would be Houston beats USF, USF beats UCF, USF beats Houston in the AAC Championship. But none of it matters unless we win out.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:28 am

Lots of chances for us to move up in the AP/coaches polls if we win this week. CFP is another matter. Hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling that one will be tough to crack. They usually seem to put a lot of weight on brand names and strength of schedule.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 am
From the desk of things that we can’t control, best case scenario for us would be Houston beats USF, USF beats UCF, USF beats Houston in the AAC Championship. But none of it matters unless we win out.
Or Temple beats all of them, with their 3 OOC losses, including one to Villanova. The AAC champ isnt getting the NY6 with an FCS loss.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am

I’ll be honest. All this ranking talk makes me nervous about the game Thursday

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:41 am

All this nervousness is making me confident about the game on Thursday.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 am
Or Temple beats all of them, with their 3 OOC losses, including one to Villanova. The AAC champ isnt getting the NY6 with an FCS loss.
The AAC teams will start cannibalizing each other soon and we need at least a 2 loss team to win the AAC championship. And the same to happen out west.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:27 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am
If we are good enough to be top 25, we should show it on the field. If that coaching staff is a top 25 coaching staff, they will have the players ready regardless the hype. If the players are top 25 talent, they’ll show it when the bright lights are on.

If not, then we didn’t deserve to be there in the first place. That’s the way I look at it. Great teams don’t fold under pressure, they excel.
YNWA

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am

AtlantaMountaineer wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:23 pm
I saw that as I was waiting for the Troy/USA game, It was on ESPN2. Even Herbie mentioned that App should be considered as one of the top G5 teams along with Central FL and San Jose State. It was amazing to see Apps logo along with the others in discussions of the top 25 teams. Now just keep winning App.
You mean Fresno State? My opinion of them is tainted based on the fact that they lost to a winless Nebraska which lost to Troy. While one loss doesn't generally make an entire season, they were handled with ease by Minnesota. Watching Fresno and UCF, you see a clear disparity in performance as well. UCF likely should be considered with the Top 8 teams in the country whereas Fresno is quite possibly Top 40.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:53 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am
there is no ranking talk. The team is already ranked. Being ranked number one while in FCS never seemed to hinder the teams preparation. Satterfield has instilled a one game at a time approach that doesn't involve looking at the rankings and buying in to the hype. If the players treat this like a business trip that it is, they will perform to the level that they have been.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:56 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am
You mean Fresno State? My opinion of them is tainted based on the fact that they lost to a winless Nebraska which lost to Troy. While one loss doesn't generally make an entire season, they were handled with ease by Minnesota. Watching Fresno and UCF, you see a clear disparity in performance as well. UCF likely should be considered with the Top 8 teams in the country whereas Fresno is quite possibly Top 40.
Not that there's any real precipitous effect on Appalachian but you're mistaken about Fresno State. Fresno has 1 loss this year and it was Minnesota. It was a last second interception in the endzone when Fresno was in the Red Zone as well so I wouldn't say they got handled. They are in my opinion one of the last G5 teams worth worrying about in the west (maybe SDST). Bottom line we need to start blowing people out again and for UCF and USF to lose to have any shot at the NY6 bid.

Go Neer's, Beat GATA

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:14 pm

The good news and the bad news is remaining schedule.

App State has the easiest remaining schedule and is the most likely to win out of the G5s. However the harder schedules of others give them a chance to leapfrog is.

AAC: UCF and USF are already ahead. If Cincinnati and Houston win out they will leap frog us.

MWC: Fresno State and Utah State both will leapfrog us if they win out.

MAC: Buffalo unlikely to leap frog us but I wouldn’t rule it out completely either.

CUSA: UAB lost to Coastal Carolina but in theory if they did win out which they won’t they would have a win over a highly ranked TX A&M team and only 1 loss. Probably would leapfrog us.
Twitter: @RankAppState

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 pm

AppNation85 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:14 pm

App State has the easiest remaining schedule and is the most likely to win out of the G5s. However the harder schedules of others give them a chance to leapfrog is.

AAC: UCF and USF are already ahead. If Cincinnati and Houston win out they will leap frog us.

MAC: Buffalo unlikely to leap frog us but I wouldn’t rule it out completely either.

CUSA: UAB lost to Coastal Carolina but in theory if they did win out which they won’t they would have a win over a highly ranked TX A&M team and only 1 loss. Probably would leapfrog us.
I agree with all of this. Our only hope otherwise would be for Arkansas State and Troy to win out and improve the quality of our SOS dramatically. Otherwise our SOS is comically bad and as much as I’m a fan, the data clearly supports what you’ve said above.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Let’s just play them one at a time and see what happens.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:22 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:56 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am
Not that there's any real precipitous effect on Appalachian but you're mistaken about Fresno State. Fresno has 1 loss this year and it was Minnesota. It was a last second interception in the endzone when Fresno was in the Red Zone as well so I wouldn't say they got handled. They are in my opinion one of the last G5 teams worth worrying about in the west (maybe SDST). Bottom line we need to start blowing people out again and for UCF and USF to lose to have any shot at the NY6 bid.

Go Neer's, Beat GATA
I've watched Fresno, San Diego State, UCF, and USF. The most underwhelming of the group is Fresno State by a large margin. USF follows in at number 3, SDSU at number 2, and UCF at number 1. I believe there is a good chance that UCF beats USF by four scores in the final week of the year if they play how they have been sans a period of time during the ECU game.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:25 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 pm
AppNation85 wrote:

I agree with all of this. Our only hope otherwise would be for Arkansas State and Troy to win out and improve the quality of our SOS dramatically. Otherwise our SOS is comically bad and as much as I’m a fan, the data clearly supports what you’ve said above.
App still has to play Troy. If Troy rolls in to Boone as a two loss team with a conference championship game on the line and App rolls in with one loss, while Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, and Penn State win out until that point in the season, there would not likely be any argument that App wouldn't be 2nd to UCF in the G5 standings.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:49 pm

AppNation85 wrote:

If we keep winning, no G5 school behind us will jump us. The research guys all love us based on our metrics and they have been pointing those metrics to the talking heads and that has lead to all the recent media coverage and ranking. Prior to us being ranked there was talk in the media that we were the best G5 based on our metrics. So as long as we keep winning, I don't worry about other G5 schools jumping us. Our issue is that we need the G5 schools that are already ahead of us to lose. Either way, we can only worry about what we can control. Just win baby. Go Apps!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”