Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Back down to earth

Apptrain
School: Appalachian State

Back down to earth

Unread post by Apptrain » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:16 am

Did any of us truly believe we were better than, just using the ACC as example, every team in the ACC besides Clemson and NC State? The #25 ranking suggested that. Sorry, but if we played in the ACC we might be middle of the pack.

appchicago

Re: Back down to earth

Unread post by appchicago » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 am

Apptrain wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:16 am
Did any of us truly believe we were better than, just using the ACC as example, every team in the ACC besides Clemson and NC State? The #25 ranking suggested that. Sorry, but if we played in the ACC we might be middle of the pack.
I still think that, when we were playing our best earlier this year, we were better than a lot of the teams in the ACC. I think we had a lousy game in the rain against a tricky offense missing the key ingredients of both the running and passing game that were so bright early in the year, plus a very solid defensive player.

These aren't excuses. We got beat. And we struggle with depth more than some teams chock-full of blue chips do. But last night doesn't erase the first half of the season.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:38 am

Apptrain wrote:
I hoped we were, but that’s clearly not the case. I think we all bought the hype a little bit. Turns out we are just a pretty decent Sunbelt team.
YNWA

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 am

Apptrain wrote:
No I didn't. With that said though, we as Americans overreact to everything. Earlier we had the depth to do anything. Then we lost a game and it was all because we have no depth because we lost 2 players. The coach is gone and probably sooner than later. Then we lost a game and he will be here for a while. We are going to a NY6 then we get beat by a team we are better than ( still trying to figure out how that is possible if they beat us ) and we are middle of the pack SunBelt. We are going to a Bowl and that is the ultimate. Now we are relegated to some damn bowl we have already been to. My personal opinion is that we are a very good team just not as good as we think we are. We will still be going to a bowl. Few teams have made the strides we have made in such a short time. We should be happy about that, and no I didn't say with that I said about that. A bump in the road is not a black hole, it is a bump. We have a chance to win out but if we don't we will still be allowed to have a team next year.
Also nothing I have said is directed at any one person. It is just my thoughts from reading many, many posts on here.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Imagine the Carolina Panthers with a loss of Cam, Christian and Luke? That was us early in the 1st quarter. 3 of our top leaders are hard to replace. We will be fine.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:35 pm

AppState89 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm
Imagine the Carolina Panthers with a loss of Cam, Christian and Luke? That was us early in the 1st quarter. 3 of our top leaders are hard to replace. We will be fine.
Have you had any updates on how Zac is doing?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Just like wins against lesser opponents, what can we take away from last night that would change your opinion of this team? Any team, let alone a young team like ours, would not have won last night under those conditions. We lost our starting QB very early. We brought in a Freshman, basically starting his first game, on national television, under the lights, and against a rival on the road. We turned the ball over 5 times and got none. These types of games happen. My concerns from last night are less about x’s and o’s and more about the lack of composure and the fact that our backup QB looked overwhelmed by the moment. Is Georgia Southern better than us? Last night they were, but I doubt we see that outcome again if the game was played 20 more times. The game is over, time to move on to the next mundane routine in our everyday lives.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:13 pm

A couple of random thoughts:

A hallmark of App teams (Moore & Sat) has always been that we played “within ourselves”. Possibly with the hype & ranking we were getting a little ahead of ourselves.

The loss to the team of “future NFLer” Jalin Moore is very significant. I remember the 2007 Michigan game and one of their future “NFLers” named “Hart”. We didn’t have an answer for “Hart”. For whatever reason, he sat on the sidelines most of the game. It he would have been in for a few more plays the outcome of that game may have been different. And so it may be with Jalin.

Finally, we had become accoustomed to the steady “no mistakes” field leadership of Taylor Lamb. The new guys have got to learn by experience like Taylor did. (It took TAylor about 5 seconds to learn that “worse things than one imagines can happen” when he tried to throw the ball out of the end zone at Clemson). And so it goes. The team is licking their wounds and reviewing the film today. Good things will come out of this.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 am

The most confusing posts for me this year, have been from our fans that wanted GSU to be relevant/good again, just to boost our SOS. We go head-to-head with them in recruiting and they are a East Division team, so why would we ever want to see them win a game!!! Well...they were back for at least one night...hope this helps our SOS!!! LMAO. Let's beat some feathers off a dangerous flock of chickens!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 am

I have seen a few comments indicating that our backup QB looked overwhelmed. I think if you take away the 10...yes 10 penalties in the first half that had him facing 2nd and 20+ yards...or 3rd and 20+ yards, he would have been fine.

Emotions were high and maybe the change in QB made the count rhythm different resulting in the off-sides. Maybe the guys were over compensating. I don't know what caused it, but ti prevented our offense from ever establishing a rhythm. Despite that, the game was close until later when our D started getting slashed after being left on the field for way too long. One issue leads to another.

In-game QB injuries are always hard to accommodate because that's not what you practiced for...especially on a short week game. The loss of a stud ILB against a triple option team was also a bigger factor than people think. We did ok without him for a while but we not longer had the rotation....see the fatigue reference above.

The Apps are not done. We were never guaranteed a spot in the CCG despite all the kudos heaped on us all season. I do think our depth is improved but we still don't match the major programs, and likely we won't any time soon. Boise State doesn't match the depth on the top P5 teams. Neither do the top AAC teams.

Now we have to hope for GS to stumble. They are feeling invincible right now and frankly, that's pretty dangerous for them because they still have a ways to go. We just need to win our remaining games. We only have two losses (one conference loss) and there are 4 games remaining. No reason to give up yet.

GO APPS!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 am
The most confusing posts for me this year, have been from our fans that wanted GSU to be relevant/good again, just to boost our SOS. We go head-to-head with them in recruiting and they are a East Division team, so why would we ever want to see them win a game!!! Well...they were back for at least one night...hope this helps our SOS!!! LMAO. Let's beat some feathers off a dangerous flock of chickens!
There is a very easy answer. Many on here want the SunBelt to be relevant and it is not an easy task with the strength of teams we have had. Making the other guy look bad does not make you look good. If we want to be somebody we have to play somebody and there are not a lot of somebodies on our conference schedule.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Same here, for the record, I was never in that camp. I like a sucky GA Southern way better that what I saw the other night.

AEB4AE

Unread post by AEB4AE » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:57 am

remember only 6 teams have won 41 of last 51 so we are pretty good!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:59 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Ironic, isn't it? LOL I admit that I am one who wants to see GS being relevant. It does us no good to win if it only because they have become a bottom dweller. Both our SOS and any rivalry is negatively impacted by that situation. That being said, we didn't lose to GS Thursday because they are suddenly better than we are. We lost because of a series of events which seem (I assume) to have begun with injuries but resulted in App playing a significantly sub-par game. We will be back. Your point isn't exactly off base though.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:12 am

Most of the bottom25 lost yesterday ....we are in good miserable company.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:20 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:12 am
Most of the bottom25 lost yesterday ....we are in good miserable company.
Was thinking the same thing. It was a week that might have been, couldn't catch a break. Should we have taken care of business we may be sitting in the top 20? However, I reckon for all the programs success, we we were due to have a day/week like this. We'll get there with this young team. Let's Go Troy!
BLACK SATURDAY

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:43 am

I noticed that 11 of top 25 teams lost this week. 8 were agaiansnt unranked opponents. Some lost as bad or worse than App by score. Most of them did not lose their starting QB. We also previously lost or top Probably NFL bound RB.
We got beat and many factors led to the ultimate beat down but injuries were a huge starting point.

I didn’t hear anybody say Ohio State was a paper tiger after their beat down, just rather they really screeed up and weren’t ready.

The bad news is we didn’t handle the QB injury as well as we would have liked but the perfect storm did happen.

Yes I think a healthy App is definitely a top 25 team.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm not apologizing for thinking my football team was capable of great things and if you try to convince me that we deserved to be brake-checked, then I'll bless your heart.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 am
Apptrain wrote:
No I didn't. With that said though, we as Americans overreact to everything. Earlier we had the depth to do anything. Then we lost a game and it was all because we have no depth because we lost 2 players. The coach is gone and probably sooner than later. Then we lost a game and he will be here for a while. We are going to a NY6 then we get beat by a team we are better than ( still trying to figure out how that is possible if they beat us ) and we are middle of the pack SunBelt. We are going to a Bowl and that is the ultimate. Now we are relegated to some damn bowl we have already been to. My personal opinion is that we are a very good team just not as good as we think we are. We will still be going to a bowl. Few teams have made the strides we have made in such a short time. We should be happy about that, and no I didn't say with that I said about that. A bump in the road is not a black hole, it is a bump. We have a chance to win out but if we don't we will still be allowed to have a team next year.
Also nothing I have said is directed at any one person. It is just my thoughts from reading many, many posts on here.

There's no way you're a coach but don't realize the better team sometimes loses

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:15 pm

appvette wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm
bcoach wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 am
Apptrain wrote:

There's no way you're a coach but don't realize the better team sometimes loses
Oh ok. :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”