Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tie Breaker Question

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Tie Breaker Question

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:48 pm

After the big egg we laid in Statesboro we don't deserve the conference title. I'm still amazed at the colossal collapse we had. You can blame it on any and everything but the results speak for itself. I don't know if Troy beats GS but we shall see where the chips fall.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:53 pm

GSU and most every team is one big injury away (QB) from being beatable on any Saturday. It ain't over.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:49 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:48 pm
After the big egg we laid in Statesboro we don't deserve the conference title. I'm still amazed at the colossal collapse we had. You can blame it on any and everything but the results speak for itself. I don't know if Troy beats GS but we shall see where the chips fall.
Yes your right. Still having trouble with how bad we looked and performed and how far behind back up qb looked. Honestly I wish we had looked like this at ark st than at gaso.this game was a lot bigger than I realized and we looked awful.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Georgia Southern defensive line looked like a true defensive line... big ,physical and fast !

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 am

ASUTodd wrote:
With ZT at QB, we beat the Gumroots 9 out of 10 times. It is obvious now we are that thin, as is probably every other G5 at QB. ZT at QB in uniform is the difference in APP 10-1 regular season this year or 7-4ish- Penn St, Arky St, GSU, Troy. The other guys aren't ready yet as was skinned back for us.
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 am

Am I the only one who is missing something with the quarterback situation. People commenting that we are thin at the position or that we have a problem? We played the prior Saturday, had a short week which probably meant a short day Sunday (if any real practice), then Monday and Tuesday followed by travel (on Wednesday)? Maybe a walkthrough on Thursday at their place? How many reps could the backups have gotten on that short week? It was just a bad game with several factors which snowballed. Move on

tnave94

Unread post by tnave94 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 am
My first reaction is that the 11 game schedule isn't an issue. I think conference record would be what they are living at but if they actually use un-adjusted percentages as a tie breaker it could have an influence. I would think this would be counter to what the league would want (public policy) but you never know I guess.

I’m assuming it means conference record rather than overall winning percentage....would be pretty stupid if a team that plays a bunch of fcs schools in the non-conference edged out another team.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 am

We all need to send positive vibes down to the state of Louisiana and pull for both ULL & ULM this weekend.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:48 am

It's actually almost better for us for Troy to win every remaining game except in Boone. We need the 3-way tie or a Tie with just Troy. Also, GS losing to ULM doesn't help us if they win all the rest. We'd have identical 7-1 conference records but they'd have the tiebreaker. They need to lose to Troy.

Of course, we can always root for GS and Troy to lose multiple games down the stretch, but the odds of that happening are slim.

The most likely scenario where we go to the CCG is for GS to lose to Troy and for us to beat Troy. All 3 would have 7-1 conference records and I feel confident we would have the highest computer ranking.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:53 am

Anyone who is worried about the Southern Miss game being a problem, don't. Tiebreakers 5 through 8 will break the tie before we even get to tiebreaker 9, especially #8:

"8. If no teams are ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings going into the final weekend of the Conference regular season, a composite average of selected; computer rankings (Anderson & Hester, Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) that include all games on the final weekend of the Conference regular season, will be used to determine the Division Champion"

There is essentially no chance that 2 teams would have the exact same average ranking in the 4 computer rankings listed.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Southern Miss lost to UNCC so that win wouldn't count for much.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 pm
Southern Miss lost to UNCC so that win wouldn't count for much.
Folks were referring to the overall winning percentage tiebreaker referenced in bullet point 9 under "Multiple Teams". This would be a simple winning percentage test, not an RPI or computer ranking. Ergo, wouldn't matter who else they lost to. My point is that this theoretical 3-way tie would be broken in bullet point 8, average computer ranking.

https://sunbeltsports.org/sports/2018/8 ... akers.aspx

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Given the overall sucking from the Sunbelt West Division, my recommendation is that they just disqualify all Western teams and let App and GS play again in the CCG (once we beat Troy of course).

I know...not happening but wish we could get a mulligan on that game.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm

IMO, GSU losing to ULM & Troy & us winning the rest of this season might be our best chances of making championship

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Following up on this.

Thanks to our friends in Monroe, It's now extremely unlikely that we would have a 3-way tie (App, GS,Troy) where all 3 teams are 1-1 against the other 2. It would now require Texas State to win at Troy, and App to drop another to either Texas State or Georgia State. Convoluted tiebreakers are now essentially out of the question.

Here's hoping for a Troy victory in Statesboro, and App winning out. That would do it.

Beat Texas State!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
This is a ridiculous post. Yep app played poorly with their backup quarterback, poor weather, short week and the arch rivals super bowl on the road. Name me anotjwr school that doesn’t falter in that similar situation. I love fans like you that want to high five when we are smoking Arkansas state on the road but go for the jugular as soon as our guys lose. It was a terrible loss, But somehow are 6-2 and still right there for the conference title. Look me up when we are hosting the game on December 1

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
This is a ridiculous post. Yep app played poorly with their backup quarterback, poor weather, short week and the arch rivals super bowl on the road. Name me anotjwr school that doesn’t falter in that similar situation. I love fans like you that want to high five when we are smoking Arkansas state on the road but go for the jugular as soon as our guys lose. It was a terrible loss, But somehow are 6-2 and still right there for the conference title. Look me up when we are hosting the game on December 1
Nah, if we win the conference title, we'll just vacate it so it can go to some more deserving team. Like the guys who got boat raced by ULM or the guys who lost to Liberty.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm
IMO, GSU losing to ULM & Troy & us winning the rest of this season might be our best chances of making championship
It would not shock me it Coastal beats Southern.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Totally agree. Satt isn’t coaching the Patriots. He has a bunch of 18-22 year olds who have played great this year. I’m sure nobody on the team (players and coaches) are making excuses. We just had a series of unfortunate events that hit all at once. Teams lose games and every now and then our opponent actually tries to beat us.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm
MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm
It would not shock me it Coastal beats Southern.
With their original QB coming back it is probably more likely. He looked better than the others they played against us.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”