Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Espn+

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: Espn+

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Yeah it was hard for me to find it in the list of games...but hey, I can find the placeholder for the App/Georgia State game in a few weeks *eyeroll*

The coverage was crap but that was probably on Coastal, as it's been on every other school hosting an event, including us.

Frankly, I haven't seen a Sunbelt team outside of New Mexico State which had a broadcast situation set up which was worth a damn. I mean, I worked in tv and helped put on the App games when we were in the SoCon and we at least managed to have a Chyron which could display downs, time outs, and the clock. And that was from a second-hand production truck we bought off of Georgia Tech which was circa 1991.

The bulk of the game I was relying on the chain guys to see which down we were on, and I can't understand why these schools can't find a decent production outfit to put these games on in a semi-decent quality. Or at least able to zoom out like today's game.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:02 pm

App won. It looked good to me. Being aired on ESPN+ with a bunch of FCS games, and on weekdays on EPNU is not my idea big time, but at least we got to play on a Saturday this week.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 pm

I love Pierre because he's a mountaineer great but he and Harrison need a lot of work on their overall delivery.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 pm
I love Pierre because he's a mountaineer great but he and Harrison need a lot of work on their overall delivery.
I agree on all points. Pierre especially has to get out of his point about the previous play before the next play is halfway over.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I tried to hook my TV up to my IiPad to watch the game. Everything worked with regular ESPN. However it won’t work with ESPN PLUS. I called customer service and was told I would have to get ROKU or a Firestick for Plus to stream to my TV. Anyone know any way around that? I plan on canceling Plus after football season.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm
I assume the production is done by the host school (like ESPN3). CCU needs to get their broadcast facilities and technology up to speed! The graphics were terrible....no down/yardage graphic at all. The announcers on ESPN3 or ESPN+ have almost always been pretty bad.
If you saw their football facilities here, you wouldn't be shocked that their coverage was bad (if they are indeed responsible for it). Our players had to sit out in this ally under the stands during halftime because whatever she'd they called a "locker room" was not big enough to hold our team. The whole place was pretty amateur, not trying to be mean, but I was expecting a little more from them. The place was empty too for it being homecoming. Baseball Stadium looked nice though.
The Appalachian State

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:15 am

ASUchipman wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 pm
I tried to hook my TV up to my IiPad to watch the game. Everything worked with regular ESPN. However it won’t work with ESPN PLUS. I called customer service and was told I would have to get ROKU or a Firestick for Plus to stream to my TV. Anyone know any way around that? I plan on canceling Plus after football season.
Generally speaking I will suggest a Roku device is worth the investment. I have not tried Firestick yet. I have two first-generation Chromecasts, and a recently purchased Roku. All were about $30 a piece. Needless to say the new Roku is far superior to the old Chromecasts.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:47 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:26 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm
I assume the production is done by the host school (like ESPN3). CCU needs to get their broadcast facilities and technology up to speed! The graphics were terrible....no down/yardage graphic at all. The announcers on ESPN3 or ESPN+ have almost always been pretty bad.
If you saw their football facilities here, you wouldn't be shocked that their coverage was bad (if they are indeed responsible for it). Our players had to sit out in this ally under the stands during halftime because whatever she'd they called a "locker room" was not big enough to hold our team. The whole place was pretty amateur, not trying to be mean, but I was expecting a little more from them. The place was empty too for it being homecoming. Baseball Stadium looked nice though.
I certainly didn't mean to imply I was shocked. CCU's facilities were built for the Big South and they've made no secret about the fact they need upgrading. I'm just pointing out that those facilities include more than stadium capacity (and apparently locker rooms). It includes the broadcast infrastructure. Hopefully they will get there before long.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:06 am

Had trouble finding and getting it on. It was crap but better than nothing. Agree that ESPN+ is not worth the money.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 am

It’s worth it, because our guys are playing on it. I think I remember reading something when the deal was first reached, that we and (I think) stAte were the only schools already meeting ESPN standards. Hopefully, as we go along, the rest will up their game. I hope they never fully catch up, as we continue to improve, ourselves.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:51 am

I think ESPN+ is worth it during our football season, but I don't see myself keeping it beyond. It has been better than ESPN3 was with all of the buffering and screen freezes. There's no question some schools in the Belt are way ahead of others with regard to supporting these types of services.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:56 am

Yep I’m dropping it as soon as football is over.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Every school will continue to improve their broadcast quality. Our camera work is better than coastal's but our audio production is weak. My guess is coastal will take time. They're busy getting a stadium built. I'm sure that takes precedent over camera angles.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:10 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Every school will continue to improve their broadcast quality. Our camera work is better than coastal's but our audio production is weak. My guess is coastal will take time. They're busy getting a stadium built. I'm sure that takes precedent over camera angles.
Judging from the size of their addition we saw last night, that should help take care of a lot of their sun problems, for both players and cameras.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:36 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 am
It’s worth it, because our guys are playing on it. I think I remember reading something when the deal was first reached, that we and (I think) stAte were the only schools already meeting ESPN standards. Hopefully, as we go along, the rest will up their game. I hope they never fully catch up, as we continue to improve, ourselves.
I dropped ESPN from my DirecTV back in August. I got tired of paying ESPN so much to in turn just give that money to the Prig5 conferences and give a finger to the Great5 schools. I know it is not that simple but you get the point. I am paying for ESPN+ since that is where App sports can be found. I am thankful appstatesports.com is now free as they do show a few contests that ESPN+ is not showing. For the rare ESPN/2/3/U broadcast I have gone to a bar and enjoyed the company of an App crowd orfound a way to stream it online or just not watched it and life went on. A few SB schools are also keeping their school feeds non-free as well, which is yet another expense. I was happy to pay for that years ago and would do so IF it carried some must see matches, but I am glad it is free on appstatesports.com.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:09 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:36 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 am
I dropped ESPN from my DirecTV back in August. I got tired of paying ESPN so much to in turn just give that money to the Prig5 conferences and give a finger to the Great5 schools. I know it is not that simple but you get the point. I am paying for ESPN+ since that is where App sports can be found. I am thankful appstatesports.com is now free as they do show a few contests that ESPN+ is not showing. For the rare ESPN/2/3/U broadcast I have gone to a bar and enjoyed the company of an App crowd orfound a way to stream it online or just not watched it and life went on. A few SB schools are also keeping their school feeds non-free as well, which is yet another expense. I was happy to pay for that years ago and would do so IF it carried some must see matches, but I am glad it is free on appstatesports.com.
I always thought I’d be canle’s last customer, as I don’t like to work for my TV — just turn it on and go — but I’m seriously thinking of cutting the cord. I have enjoyed watching some road volleyball matches, due to espn+.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:45 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 pm
Pierre Banks was a double major at App. I met his mother after one of the games. She is/was an executive with NC's Head Start. Pierre has about a dozen siblings according to the conversation we had that night.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm

I am not dropping DirecTV completely as I get HBO for free with my AT&T mobile plan, and the wife likes Hallmark-surprise surprise. I do enjoy Game of Thrones on HBO and Bill Maher is a good watch most weeks. The reality is that I don't really watch that much TV and could easily go back to an aerial antenna. My family did not get cable in the rural part of Catawba County until after I left the house for college if my memory is correct. I had cable in the dorms and aprts in Boone and then was without cable until my daughters were in middle school or so around 2009. I have lived without cable most of my life and can go back to an aerial antenna. My HOA may not like it but they can't stop it regardless of what the covenants say based on what I have read about changes in the law with digital TV coming on-line a decade ago. In McLeansville it would be hard to pull in WXII though WGHP and WFMY should be OK with their antennas just north of Randleman. RDU stations are also just out of reach with digital TV signals, which is a shame. That is one problem with the digital TV signal we now have. I used to pull in Roanoke, Durham and all of the Triad from the south side of Greensboro and not even use a large exterior antenna. Now I would need a large exterior antenna just to pull in all the stations in my market and forget about fringe stations in neighboring markets.

TL;DR Cable needs to hold back on price increases or they will lose me to my DVD collection and Netflix and whatever I can find online with some simple searches.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:06 pm

I have it mostly because I watch The Doscovery and Golf Channels.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:11 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm
I am not dropping DirecTV completely as I get HBO for free with my AT&T mobile plan, and the wife likes Hallmark-surprise surprise. I do enjoy Game of Thrones on HBO and Bill Maher is a good watch most weeks. The reality is that I don't really watch that much TV and could easily go back to an aerial antenna. My family did not get cable in the rural part of Catawba County until after I left the house for college if my memory is correct. I had cable in the dorms and aprts in Boone and then was without cable until my daughters were in middle school or so around 2009. I have lived without cable most of my life and can go back to an aerial antenna. My HOA may not like it but they can't stop it regardless of what the covenants say based on what I have read about changes in the law with digital TV coming on-line a decade ago. In McLeansville it would be hard to pull in WXII though WGHP and WFMY should be OK with their antennas just north of Randleman. RDU stations are also just out of reach with digital TV signals, which is a shame. That is one problem with the digital TV signal we now have. I used to pull in Roanoke, Durham and all of the Triad from the south side of Greensboro and not even use a large exterior antenna. Now I would need a large exterior antenna just to pull in all the stations in my market and forget about fringe stations in neighboring markets.

TL;DR Cable needs to hold back on price increases or they will lose me to my DVD collection and Netflix and whatever I can find online with some simple searches.
For what it’s worth, I have had good success with DirecTVNOW. Also I am an AT&T customer and get free HBO with it. Best part is there are no contracts. I can change the mix of channels monthly.
Plus if you have a device hooked up on a cell plan, you get data free streaming from anywhere.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”