Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

At what point do the Red Shirts begin to play?

LongTimeAppFan
School: Appalachian State

At what point do the Red Shirts begin to play?

Unread post by LongTimeAppFan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 am

At this point of the season we have four maybe five games (if we are in the Sunbelt championship game) left in the season. Under the new red shirt rules can't we begin to play some of the promising red shirts freshmen without burning their red shirt if they only play in four games or fewer? I understand we have a couple nice freshman who could step in to replace some of the injured players. :?:

GregPercussion

Re: At what point do the Red Shirts begin to play?

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

I think it just depends on how the team is rolling. I think Texas State will be a good game to get Peoples in again.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:14 am

We may not want to put a brand new player in with a close game. TXSt just dominated a game and our offense certainly hasn't been doing well the last few weeks. We need to get a stable passing game and a good lead before thinking of throwing in a new RS player.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:15 am

Also have to think Harrington will probably be coming before Peoples.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 am

Which injuries are you referencing, Jalin Moore or Zac Thomas? Beyond those I don't know of any other key injuries that causes a spot needed by a RS.

On RB role, Evans had 159 yds (5.9 per carry), Williams had 103 yds (5.4 per carry) against CCU. Hard to sit either of these guys with that performance.
QB is what we have and we are just trying to survive until Zac gets healthy. I don't think there are any RS QB's that are going to help.

I know we want to get some RS guys in but that also means sitting someone else that may be performing well. It is a balancing act.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am

From what I hear Peoples has the “potential “ to be special but from I’ve seen out of our other backs we are pretty loaded right now. What is the point in sitting a guy averaging over 100 yards per game just to play a freshman? Our issue isn’t at running back nor is it place kicker, punter or defense. The Oline is doing pretty well and we won the game last Saturday. Do we put in a freshman QB who probably doesn’t have a grasp of the playbook or hasn’t had reps beyond the scout team? If we had gone to Costal and gotten whooped and JH was pitiful then maybe. The only points the Chants got was a fluky deflected ball off a helmet. Please guys make a compelling argument for playing a kid other than he has 4 games available.

LongTimeAppFan

Unread post by LongTimeAppFan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am

I believe the biggest is Jalin Moore. The biggest worry I have with RP is the lack of a real "bull" on the short yardage plays. Williams is coming along but like to have a go to big guy for those plays. I am thinking Peoples could fill that role.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am
From what I hear Peoples has the “potential “ to be special but from I’ve seen out of our other backs we are pretty loaded right now. What is the point in sitting a guy averaging over 100 yards per game just to play a freshman? Our issue isn’t at running back nor is it place kicker, punter or defense. The Oline is doing pretty well and we won the game last Saturday. Do we put in a freshman QB who probably doesn’t have a grasp of the playbook or hasn’t had reps beyond the scout team? If we had gone to Costal and gotten whooped and JH was pitiful then maybe. The only points the Chants got was a fluky deflected ball off a helmet. Please guys make a compelling argument for playing a kid other than he has 4 games available.
From a QB standpoint, we already have three guys that need live game reps so there isn’t any room to put anyone else in.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am
From a QB standpoint, we already have three guys that need live game reps so there isn’t any room to put anyone else in.
Bingo

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

Jacob looked better on the "replay" .He really did pretty well....

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:36 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am
Jacob looked better on the "replay" .He really did pretty well....
I didn't think he looked bad live. He stood tall in the pocket and took some wicked shots. His two INTs were thrown to the correct spot and the window on the Heath INT was very small.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:54 am

LongTimeAppFan wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am
I believe the biggest is Jalin Moore. The biggest worry I have with RP is the lack of a real "bull" on the short yardage plays. Williams is coming along but like to have a go to big guy for those plays. I am thinking Peoples could fill that role.
A real bull would be ideal but what I saw in last several games is the line is breaking down and either not getting a surge or allowing the defense to penetrate catching RB's in the backfield on short yardage situations. It doesn't matter who is running the ball when that happens.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I think what you are seeing is teams loading the box with 8 guys and daring the QB to beat them. Game plans are designed to neutralize the strengths and tell a team that if you are going to beat us, you are going to have to do by excelling at your weakness.

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 pm

It seemed to me that our offense played pretty good overall, despite not putting as many points on the board as we would have all liked to see. The timing and execution was not as sharp as what we would like to see, but this was the first full game with JH at the helm. I thought overall he did quite well.

The running game was killing it. There were some miscues but that's going to happen no matter who comes in to replace a starting QB

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:17 pm

I was at the game and haven't watched the replay, so my memory may not be totally accurate, but it seemed to me that the offense moved the ball for the most part but we had more of a red zone issue in not being able to complete the drive. Also, Satt decided to go for the first instead of trying the field goal a couple of times and we failed to convert. Not being critical of the decision to go for it instead of kicking, just making an observation.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:36 pm

We only had two drives that were three and outs.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:18 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:54 am
LongTimeAppFan wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am
A real bull would be ideal but what I saw in last several games is the line is breaking down and either not getting a surge or allowing the defense to penetrate catching RB's in the backfield on short yardage situations. It doesn't matter who is running the ball when that happens.
And the reason for this is that we have not been a serious threat to pass the ball the last two games. Teams are keying on the run, stacking the box and we cannot throw the ball with any consistency (Huesman did a nice job, but we did not string together 3 or 4 completed passes in a row at any point during the game).
We also missed an open pass to the tight end in a short yardage, goal-line situation. That play keeps the defense honest and has been very successful for our team over the last few seasons.
A spread offense that does not go under center, run a formation with a fullback/lead blocker and does not have a great passing threat inside the five yard line is going to struggle to pound the ball in. That's not a penetration/surge situation, but more of a numbers game. The RPO is the best way to overcome our recent struggles.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 pm

I believe that Satt knew the game was never in doubt and just figured on getting the W and moving on. If teams are indeed stacking 8 in a box and we still crank out nearly 300 yards rushing per...better get a better game plan!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 pm

I wouldn’t say that he never thought it was in doubt. Just like the defenses game plan is to make you play to your weakness, the offensive plan is the same philosophy. CC has a hard time stoppingg th run, so you run. Try couldn’t stop it so why stop.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Since Arkansas State teams have put 8 in the box. The motion and spread out formations (3+ WRs) did work the other night. We need to do more of that to continue to be successful. We also need to throw the ball up 3+ times a game to Corey Sutton. There is not a guy in our league who can check him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”