Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Troy Game

AppRolls

Re: Troy Game

Unread post by AppRolls » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:51 pm

My beef is that the main camera seems to be mounted on top of a 20 story building. The angle is so steep and the players look like ants. It’s bush league and does not make the conference look good.

app97
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by app97 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 pm

I believe that students are often a part of the crew for ESPN3 and +. I produced and directed a high school broadcast/streaming program (mainly football) for 17 years, and have done freelance television production for 20+ years, and can honestly say that my crew of mainly 15-17 year old kids were often better than what I've seen on the 3 and + productions. It's sometimes tricky to find the right blend of crew who know football and know the equipment and how to cover it efficiently, especially when the pay is low and the only other incentive is experience and sometimes free food. It is really key that each crew member know his/her job and doesn't try to do other jobs that should be assigned to other camera operators (much like positions in football need to their job well and know how it contributes to the big picture). It's also important to have a competent director that can direct the crew and create a consistent flow and eliminate the haphazard/awkward camera moves and be quick on his/her feet and ready to cut to something else at any moment (which means that all cameras always need to have a good shot). The varying degrees of quality that we see on the 3 and + is indicative of inexperienced crew. It is difficult to justify paying money for the service, but I need to see App football and basketball somehow.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 pm
I have not noticed that the stream quality between ESPN3/ESPN+ is any different. What I have noticed is that the crews working the games for ESPN+ don't seem to be as good. The Coastal crew was awful. Stream was fine.
I wish I could say the same. It’s interesting that experiences can be so different. ESPN + is fine streaming but espn3 is almost unwatchable due to screen jumping and stuffering.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 am

It won't happen, but it would be totally awesome if ESPN would host College Game Day in Boone, NC! Maybe host the show in Sanford Mall.

They'll likely do it in 'Bama for the 'Bama/Auburn game, but ya never know.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:50 am

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 am
It won't happen, but it would be totally awesome if ESPN would host College Game Day in Boone, NC! Maybe host the show in Sanford Mall.

For us, this will likely be a huge game (gotta beat GaState first). Nationally, our game with Troy is small potatoes. Until we're ranked consistently, the idea of College Game Day coming to Boone is almost silly. As a comparison, College Game Day is going to UCF (undefeated in 2017 and so far in 2018) this weekend. G5's have to do some pretty stellar stuff to get the P5 show to come to town.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 am

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 am

Cool thought indeed, but less than 0% chance...

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Beat Ga State

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 pm
post_id=183568 time=1541974415 user_id=6016]
You can't blame the production on ESPN, those productions are on the host school and (more than likely freelancing) production teams they hire out.

So far most of the Sun Belt's production has been garbage in comparison to other conferences. New Mexico State's Aggievision was probably the best of the lot when they were in the conference. Yesterday's was rough with all the red and white but they at least they had Chyron operators who knew how to have the play clock and downs displayed in real time...something our home production crew has yet to figure out.

It'd be nice to get a good quality, in-house production program going with state of the art equipment so our optics match the gameday experience. But that stuff is expensive, one handheld video camera is going to be at least $10k. Maybe someone could suggest to DG that maybe they could do that as a future crowd-funded venture since the video board was such a rousing success.
I understand ESPN may not be the ones filming, but they are the ones who own the rights and make us pay to view it, therefore, I do blame ESPN for their crappy coverage. They are ultimately responsible for the quality of the product they are airing on TV
[/quote]

Hey, a landlord might allow you to live in an apartment, but how you decorate the insides of that apartment depends on you.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 pm
The Rock wrote:
You can't blame the production on ESPN, those productions are on the host school and (more than likely freelancing) production teams they hire out.

So far most of the Sun Belt's production has been garbage in comparison to other conferences. New Mexico State's Aggievision was probably the best of the lot when they were in the conference. Yesterday's was rough with all the red and white but they at least they had Chyron operators who knew how to have the play clock and downs displayed in real time...something our home production crew has yet to figure out.

It'd be nice to get a good quality, in-house production program going with state of the art equipment so our optics match the gameday experience. But that stuff is expensive, one handheld video camera is going to be at least $10k. Maybe someone could suggest to DG that maybe they could do that as a future crowd-funded venture since the video board was such a rousing success.
I understand ESPN may not be the ones filming, but they are the ones who own the rights and make us pay to view it, therefore, I do blame ESPN for their crappy coverage. They are ultimately responsible for the quality of the product they are airing on TV
Hey, a landlord might allow you to live in an apartment, but how you decorate the insides of that apartment depends on you.
[/quote]
But when the apartment sucks, or the roof leaks, it’s the landlords responsibility to fix it, not mine

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

But when the apartment sucks, or the roof leaks, it’s the landlords responsibility to fix it, not mine
[/quote]

Fine, bad analogy.

The point is ESPN is a distributor who gives access to the school's production live feeds, and probably gives them graphic elements like scoreboard images, bugs, wipes, etc. so it looks like an ESPN-branded production. What those schools send them in exchange is up to those program's resource capabilities. We're in the Sun Belt, we're not going to get any major production help from the Worldwide Leader in Sports unless our games are reaching 2 million households and we're playing teams people actually care about.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Someone mentioned a wipe. Finally a use for this clip

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:47 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm
The Rock wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Fine, bad analogy.

The point is ESPN is a distributor who gives access to the school's production live feeds, and probably gives them graphic elements like scoreboard images, bugs, wipes, etc. so it looks like an ESPN-branded production. What those schools send them in exchange is up to those program's resource capabilities. We're in the Sun Belt, we're not going to get any major production help from the Worldwide Leader in Sports unless our games are reaching 2 million households and we're playing teams people actually care about.
[/quote]

I know schools get a small portion from the contract, but ultimately, ESPN is making money on this venture, or else they wouldn’t do it. Since they are making the money, they should invest the capital to make the broadcast up to their normal standard.
That is like GM sponsoring a moped company , but saying they aren’t responsible for the crappy quality. You own the good and bad portions of an investment or business venture.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:44 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:47 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm
The Rock wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Fine, bad analogy.

I know schools get a small portion from the contract, but ultimately, ESPN is making money on this venture, or else they wouldn’t do it. Since they are making the money, they should invest the capital to make the broadcast up to their normal standard.
That is like GM sponsoring a moped company , but saying they aren’t responsible for the crappy quality. You own the good and bad portions of an investment or business venture.
[/quote]

On the bright side the broadcast today was pretty good (other than the few instances where the Caucasian players suddenly turned into Oompa Loompas due to the sun) It's nowhere as bad as what GS and Coastal have at their stadiums.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”