Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

Boonegoon
School: Appalachian State

Re: UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

Unread post by Boonegoon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:36 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 am
Realistically UCF would get smashed by any of the current Top 4 teams. Wouldn't even be close. It would set the G5 chances in the future way back.
I have to disagree with you on this. Alabama is one thing but looking at UCF's performance against Pitt shows they can compete. They absolutely dominated that game and a team that played close to Notre Dame and beat Syracuse. I think that G5s get jobbed about pulling it off once in while but not being able to sustain a P5 schedule. UCF would have buried UNC and still wouldn't have gotten credit. I conpletely agree that this year Alabama is clearly better than everyone else. I don't think there is a team that could honestly stay within 2 scores of them. That being said, who is to say that Notre Dame could beat them?

I guess what rankles me is the need to show consistency before being "allowed" to join the club. UCF hasn't lost in almost 2 years and they won't get a shot to show it.. Many of these players are seniors and a preseason high ranking for them won't mean squat to them next year. I do think a bigger tournament is needed.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:41 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:37 am
UCF is top 10 good but they are not top 4 good. They have a prolific offense but their D has morw holes than a pasta strainer.

I don't think the playoff creators ever envisioned a G5 making a real run. They probably thought "we'll give them access to the NY6 and that'll be good enough". "Hey, take this and be happy".

With schedules being set 6-7 years out it's virtually impossible to schedule for a title run. You have no idea how the cfb landscape, your team and coaching staff will change by then.
You nailed it. UCF wants the respect, but their schedule is the problem. They have had an incredibly weak OOC schedule. However, they could have overcome that with pounding every team they played on both sides of the ball, and even allowed themselves for a “let down” win like Memphis. I’ve checked out quite a few of their games this season and their defense is not very good. They are a superb team, definitely top 10, but not top 5 unfortunately, I would love for them to break through and set the stage for teams like us to be able to make it. Maybe if UCF had Apps defense this year.....
The Appalachian State

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Realistically UCF would get smashed by any of the current Top 4 teams. Wouldn't even be close. It would set the G5 chances in the future way back.
That's why I think the G5 could have their own 4 team playoff and incorporate it in to the bowls system, if we are destined for the status quo of no chance at a championship.

Division III has a national champion
BLACK SATURDAY

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:49 pm

The NCAA is crooked. Not as crooked as Idi Amin and Pol Pot, but crooked as all get out, and everybody knows it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:45 pm
That's why I think the G5 could have their own 4 team playoff and incorporate it in to the bowls system, if we are destined for the status quo of no chance at a championship.

Division III has a national champion
That’s a no for me. I’d rather play for a NY6 bowl one day than play UAB/Buffalo and then UCF in a bowl game of the G5. We already won that title three times.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am
YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 am
The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff.
No. I understand the premise but I don't want that. Coach Satt recently said he was against that as well. I realize, as rules are now, a G5 never makes playoffs... Hopefully after 2025-when current agreement with ESPN goes away, a move to 8 teams is possible.
But a G5 is a sacrificial lamb in an 8 team as well, my point being that the top talent is so skewed to a handful of schools, games scores could be ugly. G5 would be matched against Clemson or Alabama this year. I'm not for having a great season and again NO chance at winning.
By that rationale, we should ditch March Madness as we know it and create a separate "championship" hoops tournament for everyone outside the top 7-8 leagues.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:52 pm

The NY6 or playoffs are Probably not in the cards in the near future.

However, in 2019 games with NC and SC are in our future. Win those two and I’ll have enough bragging rights to last me the rest of my life!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:52 pm
The NY6 or playoffs are Probably not in the cards in the near future.

However, in 2019 games with NC and SC are in our future. Win those two and I’ll have enough bragging rights to last me the rest of my life!
If this defense only gets better, Zac continues to get better, Camerun Peoples steps up in the void left by Jalen (no offense to Evans, but he is a hit the hole and speed guy versus a “ball control” back).... NY6 is not unrealistic in the near future.

I say it every week on the prediction threads, but I am shocked by how many people underrate this defense. I know defense is not the “glamourous or shiny” thing, but it’s what separates the good from the great (see the NFL this season). This App State defense is ridiculously good (first team only gave up 10 this past week). Outside of the Penn State game and the debacle in Gnatesboro, we have completely shut teams down. SunBelt or not, these are Div1 FBS scholarship athletes that we have been dominating.
The Appalachian State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:35 pm

NY6 is absolutely a realistic goal for App. Would still be realistic for this year if not for the Statesboro debacle.

Frankly we weren't that far off in 2015 or 2016.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:10 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
No. I understand the premise but I don't want that. Coach Satt recently said he was against that as well. I realize, as rules are now, a G5 never makes playoffs... Hopefully after 2025-when current agreement with ESPN goes away, a move to 8 teams is possible.
But a G5 is a sacrificial lamb in an 8 team as well, my point being that the top talent is so skewed to a handful of schools, games scores could be ugly. G5 would be matched against Clemson or Alabama this year. I'm not for having a great season and again NO chance at winning.
By that rationale, we should ditch March Madness as we know it and create a separate "championship" hoops tournament for everyone outside the top 7-8 leagues.
No, I didn't say anything about basketball, nor do i give a damn about basketball. Last I checked basketball was bending over backwards to include everyone.
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:17 am

This is actually a good thread with solid points made for the different scenarios. I honestly have been a guy who made an argument for a G5 playoff but I agree with the arguments against it. By know means do I compare it to the FCS though. I am not a defeatist but more a realist. We ALL know the deal with major college football- it’s extremely top heavy! There will typically be about 3 to 4 super good loaded teams who would throttle a number 8 seed in an expanded format. Even though basketball has a few loaded NBA type teams with one and dones it’s still a little different. We all see what is possible in March. For me if I see my App program reach a point of consistently finishing seasons in the top 20 and playing in a NY6 Bowl I will be ecstatic. Of the 130 or so big boy schools how many consistently reach that height? Not many. As I said I’m a realist. If we never in my remaining lifetime compete in the final 4 I’ll be fine. Us older guys remember the days of being good at the FCS level (and being excited about it). We got pumped up playing Marshall and the other schools as we vied for SC championships. When we got really good and won the 3 straight National Championships we were REALLY pumped. I was one who started saying that those teams could compete in a few lower level BCS conferences. Then when we made the move up it got really exciting. All that being said we should all just enjoy the ride.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 am

UCF has no business in the playoff and neither does any G5 school at this point. I happen to think that the playoff is perfect at 4 teams. A national Championship has to be exclusive and you lose some of that with expanding to 6 or especially 8 teams. The committee's goal is to get the 4 best teams in, UCF is nowhere near one of the 4 best teams. They would be middle of the pack in either division in the SEC, the east in the B1G or the Big 12.

What bothers me is they continue to complain about not getting in but they don't play a real tough OOC schedule. Sure they played and beat Pitt.... and had UNC scheduled but not all P5 wins are created equally.

What continues to aggravate me with UCF is that they have schools like UF, the "U" (if we can still call them that) and FSU in their backyard but they wont play them. I think they could compete and possibly win any and all of those games but... they may lose them and then their "undefeated/we should be in argument" goes out the window. If they continue to play mediocre P5 schools, they can win and claim they deserve it instead of beating relevant teams and proving they deserve it. If you're that good, go beat UF and Texas or OK State or whoever. Don't schedule UNC and Pitt anymore. I know these are made several years in advance but lets be real, Pitt and UNC will never REALLY be relevant.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 am

Black Saturday wrote:
The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff. G5 is a second class citizen in the football world. I know there are some that say that would be looke on as JV to have a G5 playoff. In the scope, G5 is JV and will not get any higher or better under the current cartel like structure of P5 and the Networks. We have to live with it or get better and be able to offer what it takes to get in a P5 or the current system will have to evolve more.

APP could very well be next year's UCF? But just like UCF this year gonna have the door slammed in their face. The P5 ain't sharing.

My guess is Clemson or The Death Star would beat UCF or APP 4 touchdowns in a playoff scenario, is that what we want?
The moment the G5 decides to have their own playoff, we will immediately become another FCS league and will never get even the opportunity to sniff a playoff or NY6 berth.

The media would never talk about the SB, CUSA, MW or MAC and only mention the AAC. We’ve worked too hard and busted too many asses to be marginalized into another second tier division.

It’s not fair, but until the committee finally comes to its senses and expands the playoffs to 8 teams, it is what it is.

As for App, with our current situation and current conference affiliation, the only way we are even in the same conversation as UCF is if we run the table for the next two seasons, including decisive wins over UNC (not unrealistic) and USC (might be tougher to do). Even then the best we could do is be mentioned for the NY6, which will be hard if the AAC has a strong team.

UCF imo is auditioning for the Big XII for when they decide to live up to their name and actually have 12 teams within their ranks again. I’m sure, like us, they know that the only way to get to the next level and recognition they deserve is to get invited to a more reputable conference than what they currently reside. They’re doing everything right. Winning and then trolling the P5 with their banners and media presence. It’s a multi-year plan but it may pay off as long as they keep winning.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 am
Black Saturday wrote:
The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff. G5 is a second class citizen in the football world. I know there are some that say that would be looke on as JV to have a G5 playoff. In the scope, G5 is JV and will not get any higher or better under the current cartel like structure of P5 and the Networks. We have to live with it or get better and be able to offer what it takes to get in a P5 or the current system will have to evolve more.

APP could very well be next year's UCF? But just like UCF this year gonna have the door slammed in their face. The P5 ain't sharing.

My guess is Clemson or The Death Star would beat UCF or APP 4 touchdowns in a playoff scenario, is that what we want?
The moment the G5 decides to have their own playoff, we will immediately become another FCS league and will never get even the opportunity to sniff a playoff or NY6 berth.

The media would never talk about the SB, CUSA, MW or MAC and only mention the AAC. We’ve worked too hard and busted too many asses to be marginalized into another second tier division.

It’s not fair, but until the committee finally comes to its senses and expands the playoffs to 8 teams, it is what it is.

As for App, with our current situation and current conference affiliation, the only way we are even in the same conversation as UCF is if we run the table for the next two seasons, including decisive wins over UNC (not unrealistic) and USC (might be tougher to do). Even then the best we could do is be mentioned for the NY6, which will be hard if the AAC has a strong team.

UCF imo is auditioning for the Big XII for when they decide to live up to their name and actually have 12 teams within their ranks again. I’m sure, like us, they know that the only way to get to the next level and recognition they deserve is to get invited to a more reputable conference than what they currently reside. They’re doing everything right. Winning and then trolling the P5 with their banners and media presence. It’s a multi-year plan but it may pay off as long as they keep winning.

Interesting point. With a spot then open in the AAC, see any chance of us getting "called up" to join? That would be a fun conference to play in and one that I think we could compete in as well.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:55 am

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 am
Black Saturday wrote:

Interesting point. With a spot then open in the AAC, see any chance of us getting "called up" to join? That would be a fun conference to play in and one that I think we could compete in as well.
I really hope so.

Seeing our performance over the past
four seasons, surely we would be on a short list for consideration. With our pedigree and an automatic in-state rivalry with ECU, and a fan base which perennially has some of the best attendance in the G5, I don’t think getting into the AAC is a far fetched
Idea.

Hopefully they realize tv market isn’t everything (see UNCC and their illustrious, storied program, although technically we are in the Charlotte market) and that history and records matter more for determining a quality addition to a conference.

Ever since we announced an exploratory committee to go FBS, the Big East (at the time) was always my personal desires final destination for App, hopefully with future alignment that becomes a reality in the next 5 or so years.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:04 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 am
Black Saturday wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
We may as well have remained FCS, then. Even as we continue to reach unprecedented heights and make history for programs that have made the jump to FBS, we have folks who long for the olden days.
Then they need to take a closer look at our upcoming out-of-conference schedule and compare it to what we had in the FCS. I didn't want to move up because I thought we would win a national championship. I wanted to move up because I wanted to play some regional rivals on a regular basis, and play some of those games in Boone. Well...
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am

If Michigan loses to Ohio state they have a chance...Georgia is going to lose to bama . Oklahoma is going to get blown out by WVU.
They deserve a chance ...they beat the crap out of a team in the ACC championship game, beat a ranked team this past weekend like a drum.
Let’s hope for some mayhem to get them in!

Budman2154

Unread post by Budman2154 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 am

Well, we need to start finishing games against P5 competition before App even has a chance to be in the conversation for a NY6 Bowl Game. We almost, should have beat Wake Forest, Tennessee and Penn State but the fact is, we didn't. It does show that we have begun to see depth at most all of our positions and we are getting close. Hopefully as we continue to recruit FBS players and continue to win the games we are suppose to and some that maybe the powers above don't think we will, we'll be in that conversation. Either way, I'll be there to support the Mountaineers on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Go Apps1 Beat Troy!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 am

Budman2154 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 am
Well, we need to start finishing games against P5 competition before App even has a chance to be in the conversation for a NY6 Bowl Game. We almost, should have beat Wake Forest, Tennessee and Penn State but the fact is, we didn't. It does show that we have begun to see depth at most all of our positions and we are getting close. Hopefully as we continue to recruit FBS players and continue to win the games we are suppose to and some that maybe the powers above don't think we will, we'll be in that conversation. Either way, I'll be there to support the Mountaineers on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Go Apps1 Beat Troy!
Yep.

All the talks of high profile status is moot without quality wins over P5 opponents. The next couple of years
with UNC and a WF rematch, we have REALLY good opportunities to notch those types of wins. Yeah it’s not Clemson or Ohio State, but they’re matches that we might actually be the favorites to win. Just have to do it.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 am

Black Saturday wrote:
YesAppCan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
On paper but you never know unless you let them play. Michigan, Iowa, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma can attest to that. Could they beat Alabama? Probably not...but could anyone other than ND or Clemson do that either?

You can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”