Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

appvette
School: Appalachian State

Re: UCF is Awesome! But what's the point......

Unread post by appvette » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 am

Boonegoon wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Looking at UCF's performance against Pitt shows they can compete. They absolutely dominated that game and a team that played close to Notre Dame and beat Syracuse.
Look at Pitt's first 5 games vs their last 5. They looked terrible in the first half of the season when UCF played them but turned it around the second half. They were not a good team when UCF played them.

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:37 am

FBS football is the only division of ANY sport in the world that you can go undefeated and not play for a championship. JUST LUDICROUS.
They finally get a playoff to change that, and still mess it up. All other American college football divisions have at least a 16 team playoff.....FBS goes with 4😂

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:43 am

appvette wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 am
Boonegoon wrote:

Look at Pitt's first 5 games vs their last 5. They looked terrible in the first half of the season when UCF played them but turned it around the second half. They were not a good team when UCF played them.
LOL ...WHAT?🤣😂🙄🤣😂

Pitt beat #12 Syracuse the VERY NEXT week after getting dismantled by UCF. The next week they almost beat Notre Dame AT NOTRE DAME ...Irish came from behind in last few minutes of the game.

CMON MAN
Last edited by ggasu on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:45 am

ggasu wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:43 am
appvette wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:

LOL ...WHAT?🤣😂

Pitt beat #12 Syracuse the VERY NEXT week after getting dismantled by UCF. The next week they almost beat Notre Dame AT NOTRE DAME ...Irish came from behind on last few minutes of the game.

CMON MAN
Exactly, UCF played Pitt a whopping 2 weeks earlier.

tnave94

Unread post by tnave94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 am
The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff. G5 is a second class citizen in the football world. I know there are some that say that would be looke on as JV to have a G5 playoff. In the scope, G5 is JV and will not get any higher or better under the current cartel like structure of P5 and the Networks. We have to live with it or get better and be able to offer what it takes to get in a P5 or the current system will have to evolve more.

APP could very well be next year's UCF? But just like UCF this year gonna have the door slammed in their face. The P5 ain't sharing.

My guess is Clemson or The Death Star would beat UCF or APP 4 touchdowns in a playoff scenario, is that what we want?

*probably* but App State would probably beat Ga Southern by 4 touchdowns, but that didn’t happen.

And there is NO WAY Citadel would hang with Alabama and be tied at half this year, but that did happen and this is why you have to play the games!

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am

ggasu wrote:
appvette wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:

LOL ...WHAT?🤣😂🙄🤣😂

Pitt beat #12 Syracuse the VERY NEXT week after getting dismantled by UCF. The next week they almost beat Notre Dame AT NOTRE DAME ...Irish came from behind on last few minutes of the game.

CMON MAN
They also LOST to UNC the prior week. You can't debate that they were a different team early vs. late. The only question is which team were they when they played UCF.

You also don't seem to believe that a team can turn it around in one week. See App 2014.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 am

ggasu wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:37 am
FBS football is the only division of ANY sport in the world that you can go undefeated and not play for a championship. JUST LUDICROUS.
They finally get a playoff to change that, and still mess it up. All other American college football divisions have at least a 16 team playoff.....FBS goes with 4😂
Because the CFP is about pitting the best 4 teams as demonstrated by the regular season not a bunch of 3-loss everybody gets a chance-ers.

I think the playoff needs to expand to 8 with a guaranteed G5 representative but absolutely not farther. Pit the G5 rep against the #1 team in round 1. If they're that good they steam roll us in an effective bye. If we're that good we stand a chance.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:19 pm

appvette wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am
ggasu wrote:
appvette wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:

LOL ...WHAT?🤣😂🙄🤣😂

CMON MAN
They also LOST to UNC the prior week. You can't debate that they were a different team early vs. late. The only question is which team were they when they played UCF.

You also don't seem to believe that a team can turn it around in one week. See App 2014.
I absolutely believe teams can turn it around. We did last year. I also believe the best team isn’t always ranked number 1 with no losses. If the FCS has this system in 07 App doesn’t get into the playoff because of 2 losses and we don’t win the championship.
I remember getting handled by an unknown Florida A&M team once when we were a top seed.

Bottom line is that status quo isn’t good enough; I think the assumption that P5 are automatically better is hogwash and should be proven in the field.

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:14 pm

appvette wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am
ggasu wrote:
appvette wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:

LOL ...WHAT?🤣😂🙄🤣😂

CMON MAN

You’re killing me Smalls

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm

UCF is an anomaly in the G5 along with a very select handful of schools. I don’t necessarily think they are worlds better than us on the field but as an entire athletic program (including student population, market, financing), they are as much like App as App is like Wofford.

UCF is positioning itself for the next realignment when it gets plucked into the P5 by the Big 12 and the AAC gets gutted. That’s the point.
YNWA

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:04 am
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 am
YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 am
The only answer is for the G5 to have their own playoff.
No. I understand the premise but I don't want that. Coach Satt recently said he was against that as well. I realize, as rules are now, a G5 never makes playoffs... Hopefully after 2025-when current agreement with ESPN goes away, a move to 8 teams is possible.
But a G5 is a sacrificial lamb in an 8 team as well, my point being that the top talent is so skewed to a handful of schools, games scores could be ugly. G5 would be matched against Clemson or Alabama this year. I'm not for having a great season and again NO chance at winning.
We may as well have remained FCS, then. Even as we continue to reach unprecedented heights and make history for programs that have made the jump to FBS, we have folks who long for the olden days.
Then they need to take a closer look at our upcoming out-of-conference schedule and compare it to what we had in the FCS. I didn't want to move up because I thought we would win a national championship. I wanted to move up because I wanted to play some regional rivals on a regular basis, and play some of those games in Boone. Well...
Exactly, and we’ve done exceptionally well in that regard. I really don’t care about a playoff. I want a compelling regular season.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm
UCF is positioning itself for the next realignment when it gets plucked into the P5 by the Big 12 and the AAC gets gutted. That’s the point.
They just have to maintain it for an indeterminate length of time. If realignment comes around and they've fallen off the P5 will move on to someone else. That's what's tough. After the Rutgers debacle P5s will think very long and very hard about expansion candidates.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm
They just have to maintain it for an indeterminate length of time. If realignment comes around and they've fallen off the P5 will move on to someone else. That's what's tough. After the Rutgers debacle P5s will think very long and very hard about expansion candidates.
For sure. Rutgers has been quite a disaster, though I think many saw it coming. Newark isn’t exactly a college football hotbed.

I’d wager you’ll see all the P5 conferences go to 14 teams, + Notre Dame. And then break off completely from the G5. If that were the case, there are 4 open slots in the Big 12 and 2 in the Pac 12.

I could easily see Boise, Utah State, SDSU, Colorado State or maybe BYU jockeying for those slots in the PAC 12.

The Big 12 would be wise to move east to support West Virginia geographically.
Adding Houston, Cincinnati, UCF and maybe Memphis would solidify that conference in football and basketball.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.
YNWA

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am

The Big 12 already looked at UCF, USF and Cincinnati. They determined that none of them move the needle from a revenue perspective. Unless something changes where one of those schools suddenly is able to bring a P5 conference more revenue than it is currently getting, none of them are going to get the invite.

There is no incentive for any P5 conference to expand right now. If they want to break off from the G5 they can do it right now without any need to add anybody.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:56 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am
The Big 12 already looked at UCF, USF and Cincinnati. They determined that none of them move the needle from a revenue perspective. Unless something changes where one of those schools suddenly is able to bring a P5 conference more revenue than it is currently getting, none of them are going to get the invite.

There is no incentive for any P5 conference to expand right now. If they want to break off from the G5 they can do it right now without any need to add anybody.
I’m aware of that. I still think UCF’s future is in the Big 12.
YNWA

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:01 am

What's to say the power 5 leagues don't look internally and shed teams that don't add revenue? Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Wake, Rutgers, Iowa State, etc etc etc. If you're not in the top 10 in overall athletic revenue, goodbye, we're going to five 10-team leagues. Why should Texas and OU want to keep propping up Kansas State, for example?

Imagine the lawsuits from those schools. The stench of it would be unbearable.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Folks act like UCF is some nobody that came out of nowhere. Aren’t they one of largest schools in the country? Huge! Plus they are in Florida and probably recruit within a 10 mile radius of the campus- see Houston. The states of Texas and Florida are just different animals. The P5 model is trash. How many schools are P5 simply by association or have been grandfathered in- see Wake,Vandy, Kansas, Indiana, Rutgers for example. Wake has a better chance at the playoff than we do.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:08 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:00 pm
Folks act like UCF is some nobody that came out of nowhere. Aren’t they one of largest schools in the country? Huge! Plus they are in Florida and probably recruit within a 10 mile radius of the campus- see Houston. The states of Texas and Florida are just different animals. The P5 model is trash. How many schools are P5 simply by association or have been grandfathered in- see Wake,Vandy, Kansas, Indiana, Rutgers for example. Wake has a better chance at the playoff than we do.
I fell the same way. Wake will get the benefit of the doubt in a one-off year but teams like us UCF, Troy, Boise all have to show sustained success but the chance often comes after those special players that made it possible move on. It's a shame that a Loyola-Chicago type thing can't happen in FBS.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Thats why UCF has been making so much noise. The CFP, P5, AP, etc typically dont like "outsiders" coming in so they stack the deck against them. Its supposed to be "who are the best 4 this season" but they keep measuring UCF by their 2 season record. Its a moving goal post. So even though I don't like the obnoxious way they've gone about some things, UCF is making the noise they have to make to get noticed. And look at them, they're in the AP top 10 with 1 week to go, rivalry games and conference championship games ahead. They'll need help but it's possible they could end up in the playoff.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

The best way for the CFB Playoff to expand is for Bama, UGA, UCF and Notre Dame to be the top four. Four of the five conferences will be left out. Heck, three will likely be left out this year.

I'll take an 8-team playoff with a G5 autobid right now. Eliminate the conference championship game as the TV revenue from the extra round will more than offset CCG revenue losses IMO.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”