Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Milking The Clock

Black Saturday
School: Appalachian State

Milking The Clock

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:54 pm

When we had the ball we were snapping the ball with more 20 seconds on the clock at the 5 minute mark.Why give any opponent more chances at life? Not very efficient.Our D played lights out. Game ball to Bryan Brown-edited. He certainly has earned one.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

Cro-Magnon App

Re: Milking The Clock

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Maybe didn't want to break the rhythm, the pace? I'm with you. Wait 8-9 more seconds before snapping it.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Game Ball Goes To Defense!!!!

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Offense shut down in the second. But a win is a win. It was hard to tell if their d stepped up or we shut down.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Defense was amazing right when we needed it most. Crowd was great too.
Next week, OUR PLACE!!

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:22 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm
Defense was amazing right when we needed it most. Crowd was great too.
Next week, OUR PLACE!!
That had to be our best Thanksgiving weekend crowd ever. Stadium was mostly full and LOUD when it was needed. Proud to be a Mountaineer!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Also, at this stage of the season, wish we didn't have so many penalties. 13 today, many costing drive continuation chances. Had today's opponent been a little more healthy, the outcome could have made us spectators at home next Saturday. Survive and move on, right?
BLACK SATURDAY

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Penalties have been a problem all year - a hard thing to fix quickly.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:54 pm
When we had the ball we were snapping the ball with more 20 seconds on the clock at the 5 minute mark.Why give any opponent more chances at life? Not very efficient.Our D played lights out. Game ball to Neil Brown. He certainly has earned one.
Game ball to Neal Brown?? Are you kidding me? Sure we didn’t have a great game offensively in the second half, but our defense shut them out most of the night.
Troy played a good game and made good adjustments on defense, but App played a solid game (minus penalties).
The losing teams coach don’t get a game ball.
Game ball to defense, Davis-Gaither especially

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Offense mental penalties at home this time of year are inexcusable. Predict gassers this week.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:55 pm

I guess I'll have to run stadium stairs for that typo this late in the season? LOL Meant our defensive coach Bryan Brown. Right losing coaches shouldn't get a game ball, but my thought was this is the best APP defense bar none in our history, he has done a remarkable job.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Takeaways:
Defense did outstanding. Only negative with defense has nothing to do with the players.... COACH get the play in faster!!!! When they were moving and really doing well with the hurry up offense our guys were looking to the sideline for a play while the ball was snapped on several occasions.

Offense needs to really thank the D for an outstanding job... they've got a lot to fix. WAY too many penalties...

Also think we gave up 2 70 yard punts.... can we not fair catch a punt anymore??..gotta fix that...I know they had a few rugby punts but one in particular I recall was not and Hennigan let it drop in front of him and it kept bouncing 30 yards.

Much better job of starting a game at a high level... had a lot to do with fans - loudest crowd all year. The team didn't let the missed FG on the first drive in good starting field position let them down.

Thank god for the reviews! FBS >FCS...think it went 5-0 in our favor where four of them were originally not going our way and were overturned.

Someone mentioned gassers - they said on radio last week that penalties were paid for by the team with up/downs

We get our 6th Home game back that SO Miss robbed us of!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Our defense was suffocating, dropped passes on third downs as well as the penalties stifled us in the second half. As to Troy’s injury situation, weve been without the leagues best player since Arkie State, and I think we missed Johnson on the left side of tho O line. Just to say injuries are unfortunately part of the game, to win you have to find a way to overcome them. In the end we are just better than Troy.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:55 pm
I guess I'll have to run stadium stairs for that typo this late in the season? LOL Meant our defensive coach Bryan Brown. Right losing coaches shouldn't get a game ball, but my thought was this is the best APP defense bar none in our history, he has done a remarkable job.
Yes ..we talked about this on the way home. This defense is better than last year.. which was Woodys best.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 pm

ukappfan wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:09 pm
Offense shut down in the second. But a win is a win. It was hard to tell if their d stepped up or we shut down.
I think it was a combination of field position and going into the wind in the 3rd Quarter. We had some nice drives in the 4th Quarter, but penalties killed us.

We did snap the ball too quickly coming off of an injury, right before they burned their last two timeouts.

It wasn't pretty, but the outcome really wasn't in doubt at any point.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:34 pm

My thing was I was wondering why ZT wasn't running as much. There were a lot of instances (and I had this issue with Lamb too) where he was so busy looking down the field for a receiver that he could have just tucked it and ran a good 7-10 yards before getting tackled.

Maybe I was just spoiled with AE who would look and if there wasn't any viable option to pass he would just run it. But I saw at least three instances that he could have just ran forward and probably got two first downs.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Actually...Neil Brown helped us by spending so much time arguing with the refs instead of focused on the next play that he probably is deserving of the game ball! :lol:

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Yes ..we talked about this on the way home. This defense is better than last year.. which was Woodys best.
The difference between this years D and last is the ability to somewhat contain a mobile QB. Perhaps Brown has altered the schemes a bit to help with that or perhaps he has the right players on the field. Either way, im happy.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

The only issue with our D this year is 3rd and long situations. For some reason, we seem better at stopping 3rd and 1 or 2 yards than we are at stopping 3rd and 9+ yards.

The do tighten up in the red zone though and obviously, they get the job done...and then some!

I actually chuckled about having a thread encouraging our O to milk the clock MORE. For years, we've had folks complaining that we don't use the jet offense like we once did.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:34 am

I thought we missed an opportunity before the half to score again (knowing we would get the ball back in the second half and could possibly put it out of reach). We didn't show much urgency.

Troy stacked the box in the second half to adjust to our run game. They dared us to throw it over the top. This and untimely penalties pretty much stopped us.

It's nice to have a defense that an 11 point lead is insurmountable to most sunbelt teams.

I thought the crowd was great. Really fired up the defense in the second half.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”