Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching change at UNCCheat

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coaching change at UNCCheat

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:11 am
Some of you still have the black and gold beer goggles on, any one of you would switch zip codes for 5-6 times your salary for the the same job or a "lateral" move. Why are you so sure Satterield would do his family a fiduciary disservice? As fans we all want him back, especially when he's put together the best team in school history. When this type of move involves million$, it's a no brainer. He may tell Gillen he's going to pray about it, while he tells his wife to pack. If he does stay we can guess he'll probably be around longer JM was.
It’s not about black and gold beer goggles, it is about principles over money. There are those who simply chose the latter over the former. Good for you to take the money and run, but I for one don’t think that Satt is like you.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:50 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Some of you still have the black and gold beer goggles on, any one of you would switch zip codes for 5-6 times your salary for the the same job or a "lateral" move. Why are you so sure Satterield would do his family a fiduciary disservice? As fans we all want him back, especially when he's put together the best team in school history. When this type of move involves million$, it's a no brainer. He may tell Gillen he's going to pray about it, while he tells his wife to pack. If he does stay we can guess he'll probably be around longer JM was.
It’s not about black and gold beer goggles, it is about principles over money. There are those who simply chose the latter over the former. Good for you to take the money and run, but I for one don’t think that Satt is like you.
And those people are called idiots.

People move their families to make millions of dollars and that doesn’t mean they’re an ass hole even if they like their old job. As much as I hate UNC I don’t see how taking the UNC job would violate any principle.
Last edited by Gonzo on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:53 am

It would suck to see Satt leave and it would suck worse to see him go to UNC, but I will be the first to congratulate him on securing the bag if he did. He gives his all for Appalachian State and always has. He’s probably my favorite sports figure of all time.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:54 am

Black Saturday wrote:
I think he has the opportunity to be really selective. His kids are in school here, his wife has family in the area. He is a really successful coach at his alma mater. As stated earlier, UNC (football especially) is a dumpster fire that’s problem isn’t only the head coach. Will the boosters and fans be patient enough to have 2-4 more “rebuilding” years for his players to get in his systems? If football doesn’t get full attention from the administration, is that something he would be interested in?
Again, money talks, but he has a unique and good enough situation now, I think he can wait for his ideal situation, and with absolutely no knowledge at all, I wouldn’t think UNC would be it.
Time will tell

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:08 am

Hate this recurring subject and the wild ass speculations made by all of the know it alls on this board. Whatever Scott decides to do life and football will go on. It’s just a game. Don’t get me wrong I love our team and our current level of success and I would really hate to see him go to UNC. I am one who doesn’t hate them like several of you guys but the main reason I would hate to see Satt go there is because we are playing the Heels a few times in the next several years. For me seeing us stomp a Satt coached Tarheel team would be tough.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:33 am

I have no idea if Coach Satterfield would consider a position at UNC, or whether UNC would even come after our coach. I do see a lot of pretty biased thinking in the discussion though. I completely disagree with the idea that UNC football will never been important and will always be an afterthought. That is a chicken/egg argument. The apathy in Chapel Hill comes from the lack of performance, not the other way around. It's a defense mechanism that a spoiled and embarrassed fan base uses to deflect the obvious criticism.

The fact is that UNC is a sleeping giant...in this case the giant might be sleeping in order to recover from significant battle wounds. At some point they will bring in the right coach and football will no longer be an "afterthought" to anybody. The problem with the UNC position is cultural. The reality of what is needed doesn't synch up with the expectations of administration or the fans. It would be a HUGE risk for any "up and coming" coach who is going to have options.

UNC has embarrassed themselves with the academic fraud, but the general public doesn't even seem to be aware of the issue. We live in a society that has the attention span of a gnat. I hate to admit it, but UNC remains a premier academic institution (minus the athletic scandal) and a flagship university with deep pockets. Anybody who doesn't see the potential there is in denial.

I hope we keep Coach Satterfield for a long time. Until there is an interview or an offer, I'm pretty worn out with this topic though. Satt will make the best decision he can make with the opportunities he has. I will NEVER be a UNC fan, but I will ALWAYS be a Satterfield fan. GO APPS! I think he will have other opportunities.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 am

Anywhere except UNC please Satt.

This is an institution that uses its dominant athletic position as a tool to keep App (and other institutions) "in their place" within the hierarchy of the State academic structure.

Take a look back at some of our own fans defending the atrocious things UNC was doing academically. This kind of thinking is symptomatic of the systemic issues we, as App fans, face. Anything that makes them stronger, is bad for us.

So, he earns my immediate enmity if he takes that job. But, in the unlikely event that he tells them to go pound sand, he's on my Mt Rushmore forever.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:18 am

We're gonna have to deal with this every off-season until Satt leaves.

FYI, his youngest is a freshman at Watauga HS.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:31 am

This is even assuming they offer him... just because his name is on a list doesn’t mean they will come after him. Pretty sure most unc folks think they are too good for a little school in the mountains coach.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 am

I've said this before and will repeat it here. Satt is black and gold to the core, as is his wife, my third cousin. Once their kids are out of WHS, and after Scott has taken us as high as he can take us, he will move to another challenge. He has said publically money is not his prime motivator but his family is. Time will tell if this is coach-speak but I do think he is sincere.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am

Why did he interview at Cincinnati if he isn’t open to the idea of leaving?

I don’t buy it as much as I want to.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 am

Gonzo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am

The same reason you will interview at another law firm in the next three years, even if you don’t leave there will be benefits.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 am
Gonzo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am

The same reason you will interview at another law firm in the next three years, even if you don’t leave there will be benefits.
Isn’t that kind of how the game works? If you are one of the best at what you do and you let your employer know you are listening to the other guy and your employer doesn’t want you to leave there are three possible outcomes- either you go work for the other guy, your current employer sweetens your current deal or you simply say no thanks to the other guy and stay pat. Usually the third option doesn’t happen if you are REALLY GOOD at what you do.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 am

It’s official now:
Twitter: @RankAppState

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am

Pretty sure I know the answer but I’ll ask anyway. Does UNC have any incentive not to pull successful coaches from other UNC system schools, possibly resulting in damage to those schools’ programs? Obviously they took Mack from us. But has the thinking changed any? They most likely figure that if they don’t basically promote someone like Satterfield within the UNC system then another school outside the system will snatch them up. It is so frustrating for smaller schools trying to build, but money talks in most cases.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am

AppNation85 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 am
It’s official now:
Here we go
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:53 am

Apptrain wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am
Pretty sure I know the answer but I’ll ask anyway. Does UNC have any incentive not to pull successful coaches from other UNC system schools, possibly resulting in damage to those schools’ programs? Obviously they took Mack from us. But has the thinking changed any? They most likely figure that if they don’t basically promote someone like Satterfield within the UNC system then another school outside the system will snatch them up. It is so frustrating for smaller schools trying to build, but money talks in most cases.
Mack left App for Tulane, and then went to CHeat.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 am

ukappfan wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:31 am
This is even assuming they offer him... just because his name is on a list doesn’t mean they will come after him. Pretty sure most unc folks think they are too good for a little school in the mountains coach.
This.

Intuition says a school like UNCheat would have their eyes set on top coordinators at the P5 level.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:57 am

Alright, everyone go out to U.S. 421 between Winston and Boone and set up barriers.

And if anyone in sky blue colors asks, U.S. 321 is still two lanes.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 am

What makes us think It’s such a foregone conclusion that UNC will go for Satt? I think he’d be a great hire for them, but looking at their message boards, he is far from the consensus choice. He’s mentioned, but so are Neal Brown, Mike Houston, etc., and many point out that it could be a repeat of hiring Fedora based on his success at So. Miss.

So I don’t know if they’d offer and I don’t know if he would accept. One of their message board posters pointed out that they’d welcome Satt, but would really respect it if he decided to stick with App.

Not that message board are populated by decision makers. Just saying the zeitgeist isn’t totally breaking Satts way anyway, so this could be a moot conversation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”