Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Early: possible replacements?

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Early: possible replacements?

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:07 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:32 am
Of the obvious names, my top 2 in no particular order...

Ledford-players absolutely loved him when he was here. Has experience as a coordinator as well. Local guy and I think he could keep some of the staff together is an added plus.

Horton- knows the culture has extensive P5 experience and think he could elevate recruiting. Sounds like he could keep some of the staff together as well. The fact that he wants to retire here is nice. Only worry is why has he never been elevated to a coordinator position?

**I truly hope regardless of who we get, we can keep Coach Brown. I truly believe he is a rising star, love his competitiveness.

GO APPS!!
Bryan Brown is gone....

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:07 pm
appstate24 wrote:

Ledford-players absolutely loved him when he was here. Has experience as a coordinator as well. Local guy and I think he could keep some of the staff together is an added plus.

Horton- knows the culture has extensive P5 experience and think he could elevate recruiting. Sounds like he could keep some of the staff together as well. The fact that he wants to retire here is nice. Only worry is why has he never been elevated to a coordinator position?

**I truly hope regardless of who we get, we can keep Coach Brown. I truly believe he is a rising star, love his competitiveness.

GO APPS!!
Bryan Brown is gone....
Are you speaking from knowledge or just assumptions? Where is he going?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:58 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Bryan Brown is gone....
He’s going to Louisville

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Bryan Brown is gone....
In presser both L'ville AD and Scott mentioned Brown along with others would be coming along some before our bowl game and a few after. Also same sentiment from someone who has a little insight.

The new L'ville DC and OC will likely each be paid more than we will pay a head coach.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm

He did not specifically say Brown was coming. His name was mentioned twice and that might indicate he's going but Woody's name was mentioned as well.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:07 pm

I assume ponce and brown gone as OC AND DC ,any rumors of who else, besides iron mike?

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

We're going to get gored, it seems. Who will be left to help rebuild App State football?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm

fjblair wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm
We're going to get gored, it seems. Who will be left to help rebuild App State football?
We don't need to rebuild App State Football at all. The team is loaded next year and I am sure whatever coach we get will bring in some quality coaches and coordinator but App State Football is far from in need of rebuilding.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm

New Coaches and new energy. Let's go DG!!! May have a skeleton crew for the bowl game.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 pm

fjblair wrote:
Jim Brakefield helped me learn to kick fieldgoals so I think I'm the new special teams coach. You're welcome.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:20 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm
fjblair wrote:
We don't need to rebuild App State Football at all. The team is loaded next year and I am sure whatever coach we get will bring in some quality coaches and coordinator but App State Football is far from in need of rebuilding.
True, in its current state, but with all new coaches, they may want to switch schemes away from what we are used to and built for.
Being able to retain a few coaches from either side of the ball would enable new coach to keep a little familiarity and leave room for less drop off

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

t4pizza wrote:
fjblair wrote:
Don't underestimate the headwinds we are facing by losing the head coach and some key assistants coaches. I've mentioned in other threads that we are loaded and it is a great opportunity for our new coach, but make no mistake, it is a re-boot.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

fjblair wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm
t4pizza wrote:
fjblair wrote:
Don't underestimate the headwinds we are facing by losing the head coach and some key assistants coaches. I've mentioned in other threads that we are loaded and it is a great opportunity for our new coach, but make no mistake, it is a re-boot.
Yes and by being loaded means its not a rebuild. Yes, the team will have some adversity when the new coach and staff come in and there are challenges in that process but that hardly equates to a rebuild. I have faith in DG and I am sure we will get a great coach who will be very pleased with the stocked team he inherits. Most new coaches have to rebuild, like SS at Louisville, our new coach will just have to coach and continue to win.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm

We are loaded next year but I hope our fans aren’t so dumb to think their won’t be growing pains with basically a whole new staff and possibly new system. We will probably hire someone familiar with App but there will be a lot of changes. Next year might be a 6-5 type year easily.
Twitter: @RankAppState

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm

I doubt it will really be a full reboot, so to speak. Gillin can target guys who will keep basically the same systems in place. Moreover, most of the guys mentioned most often as candidates either aren’t playcallers at all and/or come from current or recent staffs. And I think coaches who aren’t wedded to a specific system (we aren’t hiring Paul Johnson, after all) are smart enough to look at the roster and know they need to keep a good thing rolling.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm
He did not specifically say Brown was coming. His name was mentioned twice and that might indicate he's going but Woody's name was mentioned as well.
There’s a real easy way to keep Brown.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm

AppNation85 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm
We are loaded next year but I hope our fans aren’t so dumb to think their won’t be growing pains with basically a whole new staff and possibly new system. We will probably hire someone familiar with App but there will be a lot of changes. Next year might be a 6-5 type year easily.
Unless there are mass injuries, that would represent an absolutely atrocious coaching performance.

There’s no need for that type of drop off. UCF brought in Josh Heupel as an external hire and didn’t miss a beat. Plenty of other examples of schools that kept winning through a coaching change. Just don’t screw up the hire.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 pm

We may even be better! ... Is Woody looking for a job now that Johnson is done?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 pm

appgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm
hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm
There’s a real easy way to keep Brown.
He could probably make more as DC at Louisville than HC here. And as much as i hate to lose him, if he’s not ready to be a HC, hiring him as a HC just to keep him isn’t doing the team or himself any favors.
Seems like a certain orange sweater boy tried that one time. Can’t remember how it turned out...

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 pm
We may even be better! ... Is Woody looking for a job now that Johnson is done?
I honestly feel that’s our best case scenario right now. Seemingly brown is going to UL. Woody don’t know if he will keep his job. He can slide back in to the DC slot at App with a guarantee for employment

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”