Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's Get Satt Paid

CoachRob
School: Appalachian State

Let's Get Satt Paid

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 am

What is it going to take for us an athletic department, or us as a fan base to get this guy paid here at App State???

I don't have much money ... so i can volunteer to wash is car, mow is lawn, anything, really don't care.
Could we start a GoFundMe account??? I can at least drop the 1st $100.

But Seriously, We need to at least be offering a more lucrative contract his way, even if it's impossible for us to match the big boys.

ASU-FTW

Re: Let's Get Satt Paid

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 am

Increase season ticket sales and donations to Yosef Club would really help, for starters.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:54 am

Until we are lucky enough to have more Mark Ricks we can’t compete financially with the big monied programs.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 am

Bet you fellas agree with me now that a 10 year minimum guaranteed contract looks good now!!!!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 am

College football = greed. I do the job I do because of what I can do for my community, my family, and the children. It's always been about giving back. Some people look at a job as a way to secure a financial future or leave something for their kids... I get that... I really do. I guess I was raised differently and look at this with different eyes. I look at the story of the workers in the vineyard from the Bible. They all agreed to work for a penny a day (regardless of start time).... Sat agreed to work for a set salary (with incentives) for a set time. He should honor that. When that is up then move on. It's the honorable thing to do.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 am
College football = greed. I do the job I do because of what I can do for my community, my family, and the children. It's always been about giving back. Some people look at a job as a way to secure a financial future or leave something for their kids... I get that... I really do. I guess I was raised differently and look at this with different eyes. I look at the story of the workers in the vineyard from the Bible. They all agreed to work for a penny a day (regardless of start time).... Sat agreed to work for a set salary (with incentives) for a set time. He should honor that. When that is up then move on. It's the honorable thing to do.
I agree. Even though that ship has sailed imagine how much better that aspect of college athletics would be. It would also be much better IMO if coaches simply got the regular salary (as employees) and zero booster money. I’d booster money simply went to facility improvements and scholarships a lot of BS would go away. And if a coach was given a 4 year deal he would be able to coach for 4 years without fear of being fired simply because of not winning and could only be dismissed due to cause. Buyouts could go away and schools would just have to live with the guy they hired AND if they extended contracts that would be on them.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 am

ASUTodd wrote:
I’m sorry but that is the most naive set of comments I’ve heard.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 am
Bet you fellas agree with me now that a 10 year minimum guaranteed contract looks good now!!!!
Why? That would make zero difference whenever some P5 comes along.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:54 am

I’m in for a gofundme.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm

We can't "pay" Satterfield or any other coach P5 level salaries. It's fantasy to assume we can can compete with the money those programs can offer. We'll be okay.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 am
ASUTodd wrote:
Regardless of how you feel about my thoughts, Satt agreed to work for a given period of time. He needs to man up and do just that.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Makes you appreciate Jerry Moore’s tenure even more. He wasn’t anywhere near Satterfields current salary and he continued to stay during successful times.
I know he was in different stages of his life than Satterfield, and not saying Satterfield is wrong to entertain leaving, but it is admirable to be content with a good gig and not always chase money/fame

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:36 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
Regardless of how you feel about my thoughts, Satt agreed to work for a given period of time. He needs to man up and do just that.
As long as he gets written permission form Gillen to seek,negotiate or accept new employment and pays his buyout he is honoring his contract. Perhaps you should read it.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 am
Increase season ticket sales and donations to Yosef Club would really help, for starters.
So how can we as a fan base help to improve this? Do we need to "recruit" fans?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Makes you appreciate Jerry Moore’s tenure even more. He wasn’t anywhere near Satterfields current salary and he continued to stay during successful times.
I know he was in different stages of his life than Satterfield, and not saying Satterfield is wrong to entertain leaving, but it is admirable to be content with a good gig and not always chase money/fame
Moore was never offered a 3x raise, hard to compare the two.

Thanks to both for all they did and comtinue to do for App.

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:58 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 am
So how can we as a fan base help to improve this? Do we need to "recruit" fans?
In a word, yes. Grow the fan base. Increase Yosef Club membership and increase donations. It’s the only way to continue our upward momentum.

Snaggy

Unread post by Snaggy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Satt is a helluva coach. If we're lucky enough to have him one more year then good for us. I get all the emotional posts about keeping him, but they are just that - emotional. The tenure we had in Jerry Moore was an anomaly in the coaching world. And it's even more true in FBS. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE Satt to stay, but he isn't. Period. Whether its next year or 2-3 years from now, he will be moving up. And I think that's awesome. Good for him.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:01 pm

I'll never fault a man for making all he can if that is important to him, but I admire those that "make enough" and realize that the current spot they hold is rich jn other ways. I always admired John Kresse at the College of Charleston for staying put and realizing he was where he wanted to be when many schools were offering much more, money wise. Some coaches are paid too much. It's out of whack. And one of our local policeman who just stepped into a bad situation and saved a life is making $40 thousand a year. It's worse with pro athletes. Is Bryce Harper worth $10,000 for every pitch he sees? I don't want to hear "market driven" and all that s#!+ either. This country has it's priorities wrong. Sorry for the soapbox rant.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:04 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
So what if we had a terrible coach and was not being the best ambassador for our program. Would you advocate the school not to fire him because we need to honor the contract? Highly unlikely. Scott is in demand and he will do what makes sense for him and his family; that is his decision to make. As too the ridiculous "honor the contract" business; if the buyout is fulfilled then his contract has been honored. Really don't know why anyone would try and give Scott any grief at all, the man has given more to our school than just about anyone. We have been spoiled to have him and I wish him nothing but the best moving forward (with or without us).
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 am

A contract does not create a situation of indentured servitude. The contract has terms which allow for exiting prior to the expiration. Satterfield negotiated an extension with a very modest increase in salary at the beginning of this season. If the DG COULD have paid more, I'm sure he would have. The extension of the term benefits the program in that it increases the buy out and will help us hire a replacement. There's more than one way to benefit the program.

Comparing Satterfield to Jerry Moore is just not a fair comparison. Coach Moore had taken his shot at Texas Tech and fell flat. He was effectively out of coaching and working in the mortgage industry while doing some volunteer (FREE) coaching. That was his situation when App hired him. We were incredibly fortunate to have him and that he had a very unique perspective that kept him here for 23 seasons, but his situation was unique. Let's not forget that at the beginning of 2005, he was about one season from being terminated. That magical 2005 season basically pulled him off the hot seat. It's not a one way street....Satterfield will and should pursue what's best for his career and for his family. The athletic program will likewise pursue what's best for the program and for the university.

Let's just be grateful that Satterfield has overseen one of the most successful transitions ever. Trust DG to find a replacement if needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”