Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN picking MTSU

SoCalApp
School: Appalachian State

ESPN picking MTSU

Unread post by SoCalApp » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:13 pm

https://es.pn/2Q8rQx6

“R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs. Appalachian State

(9 p.m. ET on ESPN at Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans)

The big factor here is Scott Satterfield and whether he's still coaching his alma mater or Louisville when this game kicks off. Appalachian State is an excellent team, but the coaching uncertainty leads me to go with Middle Tennessee and the stable Stockstills (coach Rick and quarterback Brent). Brent Stockstill throws two later touchdown passes in his final college game to rally the Blue Raiders to victory.

Prediction: Middle Tennessee 29, Appalachian State 27”

TheMoody1

Re: ESPN picking MTSU

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Same dude picked Toledo last year.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Yeah, he starts the article talking about how he went 19-22 last year, so his crystal ball may be broken. He cites coaching uncertainty as the deciding factor. Don’t see our guys quitting like that, no matter what Satt does.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:24 pm

I saw on one site we open as a 9 point favorite.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:51 pm

I’d rather be the underdog. We tend to play better.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 pm

That is an absolute joke of an article. Has this dude actually seen us play? Is he one of the guys on this board who weekly has us giving up 30 points and barely winning? They barely beat UNCC

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Well Im still mad about the 1992 trip to middle tn ... as we walked into the gas station the lady saw our pins on our shirts that read Go Apps! She proceeded to say go apes??? Still have no answer for that one!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Sagarin has us at about a 10 point favorite. Not sure how the distractions might affect us. It appears their qb can throw the ball around.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:26 pm
Sagarin has us at about a 10 point favorite. Not sure how the distractions might affect us. It appears their qb can throw the ball around.
I expect the Legion of Boone to give that QB all kinds of problems if he wants to air it out..

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Go apes? Now that's funny!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:50 pm

SoCalApp wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:13 pm

The big factor here is Scott Satterfield and whether he's still coaching his alma mater or Louisville when this game kicks off. Appalachian State is an excellent team, but the coaching uncertainty leads me to go with Middle Tennessee and the stable Stockstills (coach Rick and quarterback Brent). Brent Stockstill throws two later touchdown passes in his final college game to rally the Blue Raiders to victory.

29..... On our defense..... We deserve to lose if that happens. This tool clearly hasn't watched us this year.

Second thing, no matter if Scott gets a new gig or not, is he really going to leave us hanging for the Bowl game? Not seeing it.
The Appalachian State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:50 pm
SoCalApp wrote:

29..... On our defense..... We deserve to lose if that happens. This tool clearly hasn't watched us this year.

Second thing, no matter if Scott gets a new gig or not, is he really going to leave us hanging for the Bowl game? Not seeing it.
Would be VERY unusual for a coach taking a new job to stick around to coach a non-CFP bowl game. Even more so with the December signing day. If Satt's gone, expect him gone before NOLA.

Bigger question in that case is how many assistants who may be following him will stick around for the bowl. If we're left with a skeleton crew it could really hurt us. That's what happened when Dino Babers left Bowling Green for Syracuse and they got smoked by GS a few years back in Mobile.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:01 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:50 pm
SoCalApp wrote:

Would be VERY unusual for a coach taking a new job to stick around to coach a non-CFP bowl game. Even more so with the December signing day. If Satt's gone, expect him gone before NOLA.

Bigger question in that case is how many assistants who may be following him will stick around for the bowl. If we're left with a skeleton crew it could really hurt us. That's what happened when Dino Babers left Bowling Green for Syracuse and they got smoked by GS a few years back in Mobile.
I know that is the common trend, but what is common about App State? My heart tells me Satt wouldn't do that to these kids. Look at where he has been with them over the last 4 years. For the same reason he wants to move up to a P5, he would want to see this season through. He is an APP guy, i feel like he would work something out to ensure he exited the right way. Maybe I'm being nieve but it just seems like that wouldn't happen. I probably could see it if we were playing a week or two later.
The Appalachian State

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:19 am

Not many fans are paying attention to his predictions on the ESPN Capital One Bowl Mania pick em game either. Currently 92.15% of the Fans playing the game are picking App State to win the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. This is a fun game and is free to play if anyone wants to enter = http://fantasy.espn.com/college-bowl-mania/2018/en/. There are a few of fan groups set up for App fans also = App State Mountaineers, Appalachian State, & Fans of Appalchian State.
(Yes, the last one is misspelled...I didn't do it).

This dude admits he is not very good. Did you see his first 2 paragraphs:

"Full transparency: I had a bad year last year.
Seriously. I went 19-22, which included a national championship prediction of Clemson beating Oklahoma (how'd that turn out?), only one correct New Year's Six prediction (Wisconsin over Miami) and gems such as SMU over Louisiana Tech (Louisiana Tech won 51-10) and Toledo over Appalachian State (Appalachian State won 34-0). I don't even pick against the spread. Imagine the horror if I did."

Beat MTSU!!
Give Em Hell!!

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 am

I think they will be a very formidable opponent. Their qb is a several year starter, the coach’s son, and can sling it around pretty well. Our db’s will be tested.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 am

FWIW, App is 4th in Nation in total Defense, MTSU is 49th. They beat UNCC at home 21-13.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am

Anybody that is sub .500 in picks is not worth listening to. A monkey could do better than that. Realistically a random picker would get 50 percent so whatever logic he is applying is actually making it worse.

The one accurate point is the uncertainty of our coaching situation and that is still TBD.

I say go with the monkey.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:01 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 am
FWIW, App is 4th in Nation in total Defense, MTSU is 49th. They beat UNCC at home 21-13.
Very true. Most of their wins have been against bad (or pretty bad) teams. UTEP (1-11), WKU (3-9), UT-Martin (2-9), ODU (4-8) and Charlotte (5-7, but everybody knows they're 0-12 in their sad widdle hearts).

But they also beat a decent Marsha team, beat an FAU team with a star-studded coaching staff (though you wouldn't know it from their record), handed UAB their only conference loss (and almost beat them again a week later), and played a ranked Kentucky somewhat close (and those last few items were late in the season).

Their other losses were to UGA (fair enough), Vandy (not as good a look, but it was the opening game of the season), and a pretty good FIU team.

All in all, I think they're solid and won't be a pushover. Their G5 losses were close (2-3 points) and only UGA bulldozed them (been there). But their defense lets a whole lot of lesser teams hang around. I think we can stifle them.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Okay, so I have had a few minutes to check out MTSU this morning. Their Strength of Schedule is 83 and ours is 84. Espn says we have a 65% to 35% chance of winning. Sagarin says we are a favorite on a neutral field by about 10 points. Massey thinks we have a 72% to 28% chance to win 28 to 21.

The dude that made the initial pick seems to think the uncertainty with our coach is a key factor and it very well could be. I think it has held us back the last two weeks (distractions). Another concern I have is rewatching the ULL game and our inability to throw the ball on them. They averaged all year giving up over 230 passing yards per game and we struggled both games against them (although the last one was rainy).

It appears that MTSU has a pretty good defense that gives up about 373 yards per game (213 passing and 160 on the ground). I'll take our defense anyday. If the common opponent is any indication, we should beat them. Will the distractions make a difference???
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:45 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 am
That's because 2 SEC teams hung some numbers on them....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”