Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Today could be L-Day

yosefshat
School: Appalachian State

Re: Today could be L-Day

Unread post by yosefshat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 am

I just don't see the appeal besides $ if I'm Satt, granted that is quite an appeal. It's a huge risk/reward to attempt to rebuild that program and if he fails then he may not get another P5 opportunity.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 am
The sun will come up tomorrow regardless and App State will still be App State (and Sun Belt Champs). Amazing how programs from Charlotte to Statesboro and beyond are dismissing their shortcomings and hanging their hats on our coach leaving resulting in the destruction of our football program. I'm afraid they will be sorely disappointed. We have a rich history that precedes 2014 and whether Coach Satterfield's chapter lasts another hour or another 30 years, there will be more to come for us.
Last week was emotionally draining, and honestly, I'm just ready for the news, whatever it is. We will survive, and then thrive- Because that's just who we are. And regardless of whatever news comes our way, remember this- Scott Satterfield has been, and will always be, a true Mountaineer who loves OUR university, and has always given his all for it. There should be no hard feelings and only gratitude.

Go APP!!!
That is pretty much how I feel. I will add a few things though. I have been reading our fans and sadly we have so many who seem to think the sun rises and sets on Scott. That without him we are in big trouble. That is NOT the case.

First, I want to say I have no major issues with Scott and I'm glad we have a person like him. I know he loves App and I believe he runs the program the IDEAL way. There have been no issues, he has made some great hires such as our special teams coach, Shawn Clark, Bryan Brown, etc and I feel he has done a very good job of finding under the radar talent.

However, nobody is perfect. A few things he can improve are clock management that cost us 3-4 games by the offensive staff (led by Scott). I still do not understand why we never go under center sometimes, why we seem to just be satisfied with a 17 point lead in 3rd quarter and milk the clock instead of just putting teams away, and why are are very bland in play calls much of the time. We finally have a QB who has caught up to the rest of the roster in talent with the arm to make all the throws. We should be throwing the ball to Sutton a lot more, Pearson should be getting 3-5 touches every game, and we have so many good running backs that I would love to see more 2-back sets.

I appreciate Scott but I know those are things he could improve on as he has yet to sweep the SBC, beat a P5 team, and have a sustained period of being ranked like Boise State and the others have done. I'm hoping if he stays those are things he can do next year because we have the talent to do this for the first time. It possibly could have happened this year but the coaches allowed the offense to score a TD to take a 7 point lead and leave time on the clock instead of milking the clock and kicking a field goal to win the Penn State game in regulation. That was a huge strategy flaw and cost us being ranked in the top 20 after week 1. Another instance where I feel the staff could have done a better job is prepare the backup QBs more because they clearly were not ready when Zac went down against Georgia Southern. If Zac does not get hurt and we do a better job on strategy in the 4th quarter against Penn State do you guys realize we would be ranked in the top 15 right now and UCF would not be the only G5 program screaming that they got screwed? My how just 1-2 things can completely change a very good season to a historic season if they just tilt slightly in our favor. Even with the Penn State loss had we just been more prepared for GSU and we could have been ranked every week since that game. Being ranked for a G5 program is a HUGE deal because it helps in recruiting and shows you can still get to the big stage, which is one of the big draws for players going to P5 programs. They think it's the best way to get ranked and win a title.

I'm tired of this whole thing and I either want him to announce today or early in the morning that he is staying or going. Appalachian State had tradition and was a power program before Scott walked on at App, before, he became head coach, and will be after. I truly wish him the best and while he will always be an App alumni, he will be a Louisville cardinal if he leaves. Our goal with or without him for next year should be the following (due to 90% of production returning): 12-0 regular season, SBC title, and contend for a NY6 Bowl in 2019. The expectation should and will be to win SBC titles and be a top 5-10 G5 program with or without Scott or anyone else.

Some of our own act like they are worshipping Scott and put him above the program and even he would tell you that is the wrong attitude. Some on here act more loyal to him than to App State. I will thank him for what he did and wish him luck but I'm 100% Appalachian State and no individual is bigger than this program. I will always love Scott and wish him well but if he goes the only that that matters to me is whether we do well or not. Do you think anyone at Louisville will pull for us? Do you think that we will have hardcore fans from the school where his replacment would come from? Heck no! Say we hired Ruffin McNeil I can assure you that Oklahoma nation will not be watching our games pulling for us. They will be focused 100% on Oklahoma and they SHOULD BE! If Scott leaves he is choosing money over his alma mater and I completely understand that but App State comes above all individuals as coaches come and go. He will be a Louisville Cardinal if he goes.

So in closing I say to Scott, thank you and good luck if you leave! Whoever the coach is the expectations will be VERY HIGH in 2019 and they should be as long as we stay healthy.

A few tidbits to expect though if Scott goes that are just as big or maybe bigger than just losing the HC. 1. Would Bryan Brown go with him? He is a very good DC and we really need to keep him or find a replacement who is just as good. 2. I am 99% sure Sirignano is gone if Scott goes and the S&C is a KEY part of the staff. People don't realize that the S&C, Recruiting coordinator, OC, and DC are truly the lifeblood that can make an average leader at HC look great or make a very good leader look bad if they don't perform well.

Whatever happens it needs to happen today so we can find our next head coach or put all this talk to rest. All indications were that the job is Scott's so he either he had a change of heart or did not interview well to not go there.

In closing, either way I say thank you Scott, Go App, and lets put this whole thing to rest within 24 hours because we need to close out recruiting well and this distraction needs to be put completely behind us.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 am

Twitter: @RankAppState

Appgrad91

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:37 am

If reports are true that Satt met with the AD at Louisville after the championship game and he was the #1 candidate, then why the additional job interview today for Canada?

If Coach Satt was a shoe in this doesn't make much sense to me. My hope is he turned it down and moves on for consideration for GT or stays home in Boone.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 am

Reading the Louisville message boards, looks like their site will have a meltdown if they don't hire Satterfield today.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Now the mystery guy isn't Canada?

I hope this isn't a ploy to cajole Satt into making a decision quickly. And if it is I hope Satt and his agent are able to properly weigh the giant red flag that that is.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:05 pm

If Satterfield turns them down, I'm not looking forward to the red backlash against all things app State and Watauga.

snickerling
School: Louisville

Unread post by snickerling » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Many of us Louisville fans are just ready for this process to be over.

The silent majority will be happy with whomever our AD hires. We're ready to begin the process of moving forward... can't do that without a coach. It's the vocal minority that is very anti-Satterfield and that has made some of the crowd getting loud in pro-Satterfield positions just to drown them out.

Someone has to lose in this process. It stinks but it is what it is. Best of luck to you guys no matter the outcome.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Who's the Mystery Man? Who will the NWO bring out as their 3rd man?

It's....it's....Hulk Hogan? Say it ain't so. He's turned his back on the WCW

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Sounds to me like Scott is less interested in Louisville then Louisville is in him.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 am
Reading the Louisville message boards, looks like their site will have a meltdown if they don't hire Satterfield today.
It seems like 80% or more of them want him badly so they will melt down for sure. Personally, this move would be bad for Scott. I feel he will improve them and they could be a 7-9 win team but they will always look at him as "Not Brohm" and they have unreal expectations to be national title contenders and that is not fair to Scott. The only reason Scott would take the job for sure, if offered, is the money. There is nothing else about their job that screams he hit the home run and cashed in like he could. If I'm him I would stay, go 12-0 next year, and then get the 4-5M offer from a school that puts football first and fits best for him but you don't hire Jimmy Sexton if you aren't looking to double or triple your salary right off the bat immediately. I would not take it but I 100% understand why he would and I think it is hard to explain that you don't if he does not. My gut feeling is that if he does not go that he was not offered the job.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm
Sounds to me like Scott is less interested in Louisville then Louisville is in him.
Sounds like all of Louisville’s candidates are.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:05 pm
If Satterfield turns them down, I'm not looking forward to the red backlash against all things app State and Watauga.
Are you serious?

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:21 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
My guess is Satt has expressed an interested in finishing out the year here and Louisville is using these "let's make a deal' candidates as leverage to get him to commit today or tomorrow. I know our bowl is not a NY6 deal like the one Scott Frost stayed to coach at last year but it's a big deal for us and Scott knows that more than anyone. He is in a good position and can use his comfort with the current situation to push them to wait. If they really want him they can wait a week. All of us on this board know the wait would be worth it.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Sounds like it could be a giant chess match . Satterfield may be slow playing Louisville to gauge GA tech ‘s interest in him, and Louisville is leaking more potential candidates to put the screws to Satterfield.
I still don’t feel like he is the top 2-3 candidates in the Tech job, so is he willing to let the Louisville job slide and let the chips fall where they will?
Is it tech or stay at App?
Guess we will see (at least in part) later today

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Bring it

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Last current report is Canada isn't getting the job but hire is imminent

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 pm

appchicago wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Are you serious?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... louisville

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:31 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:21 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
My guess is Satt has expressed an interested in finishing out the year here and Louisville is using these "let's make a deal' candidates as leverage to get him to commit today or tomorrow. I know our bowl is not a NY6 deal like the one Scott Frost stayed to coach at last year but it's a big deal for us and Scott knows that more than anyone. He is in a good position and can use his comfort with the current situation to push them to wait. If they really want him they can wait a week. All of us on this board know the wait would be worth it.
I think it’s pretty well known these days if you accept a new job, you aren’t coaching a bowl game.
Satterfield pretty much acknowledged this when he said now the season is over, he will start exploring the opportunities out there.
In the same way Satterfield said he wouldn’t want to go to a school that didn’t let him finish the season out, the new employer wouldn’t want a candidate who chooses their “old” employer over their new one. Especially with the signing deadline where it is now. Louisville’s AD has already been pounding pavement trying to shore up their recruits. They want a coach in place ASAP to start moving forward.
I think a coach should stay and see their entire season through, including bowl games, but that isn’t how it works anymore, unfortunately.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 pm
appchicago wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Are you serious?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... louisville
Pssh. Let 'em riot. Most of their fanbase is treating Satterfield like a second choice that they're being forced to rationalize. If he does pass (and frankly I don't think he will), that'd serve them right for not knowing a good thing when they had a shot. The fact that some idiot (named Thor, by the way. Unless your kid is the literal God of Thunder, please don't name him Thor...) made an empty Twitter threat because he had his little feelings hurt doesn't worry me in the slightest.

I guess you could say he was a thor loser.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”