Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Great Article on replacement options

ggasu

Great Article on replacement options

Unread post by ggasu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Great Article on replacement options

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Everyone is going to say culture but that’s a list of 10 guys that literally no one else wants as a head coach, granted Elliot at GSU. I just don’t understand the need to box ourselves into these mediocre, at best, candidates.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:35 pm
Everyone is going to say culture but that’s a list of 10 guys that literally no one else wants as a head coach, granted Elliot at GSU. I just don’t understand the need to box ourselves into these mediocre, at best, candidates.
Why don't you suggest someone?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Can we hire all of them? 😂 Great article. All of those guys have admirable traits and backgrounds.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 pm

appvette wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Why don't you suggest someone?
If a guy like Tony Elliot doesn’t get the Georgia Tech job… I would be on board with going after someone like him. He is engineering an impressive offense at Clemson, and is looking to become a head coach. Might not stay very long, but could elevate our attack.

Of the rest of the names on that list, I think Ledford and Brown are the ones I would be most interested in looking at.

Both have shown acumen as coordinators, the rest are mostly position coaches. I just hope we cast our net wider than guys who have coached here or played here. Coach Moore was neither of those and turned out OK!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Hard to find someone we can afford with better credentials!!! Maybe Tony Gibson at WVU but DG wants to continue to hire staff that understands our culture. Gibson may be able to relate. Who else would you recommend??? :D :D

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Were he not under contract with Toronto for another season, Armanti might me a good choice for QB coach or OC. Question is does AE want to coach.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
How many programs were lining up to interview Satterfield prior to him becoming the Head Coach?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 pm

Horton

Settle

McNeill

Would be my top three from that list, in the order given.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:37 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Settle, Horton, and Brown are good names that we could get and I believe would do a good job. I don't see Elliott since he has not proven to turn around Georgia State yet and that loss to Citadel while the interim at South Carolina hurts. After he has some winning seasons then perhaps. I think Ruffin would be a good one but I doubt he would leave his current setup at Oklahoma. Searels would be very good but I'm not sure the media would love him. My dream would be to have him as OL coach again or keep Clark but I know he would not come as just OL coach and I don't want Clark to go. As for Sloan I don't have any desire for him to come back. He is a good coach but his ego would be a problem and we don't need that in Boone. The others I just don't think are quite HC material yet but maybe in a few years.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:40 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:28 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
How many programs were lining up to interview Satterfield prior to him becoming the Head Coach?
There are 4-5 on there I would be happy with for sure. As for Satt, he was picked before his interview and nobody was banging down the door for him like you said. This will get interesting.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tim Horton seems like the best fit. He recruits the south and has a great resume recruiting and coaching running backs, two things that are very important for us. The fact that he wants to be here, knows the culture, has a good resume in the SEC.... I just like the sound of it. I absolutely would hope he could retain Brown since Brown is still wet behind the ears.... I think Satt takes Clark and Ivey based on things I’m hearing.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 pm
Horton

Settle

McNeill

I don't know them personally but I know some former players and a few people currently in Boone that knew them from their time at App and all 3 apparently are well liked and considered class acts. All 3 supposedly love App as well. Based on their character and love for App that I hear about I believe I would be happy with any of them.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:41 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tim Horton seems like the best fit. He recruits the south and has a great resume recruiting and coaching running backs, two things that are very important for us. The fact that he wants to be here, knows the culture, has a good resume in the SEC.... I just like the sound of it. I absolutely would hope he could retain Brown since Brown is still wet behind the ears.... I think Satt takes Clark and Ivey based on things I’m hearing.
Someone told me that Clark is staying if someone he knows from the past would stay. I think it depends on who is chosen whether he goes. Clark loves App. I thought perhaps Ivey would go or maybe go coach with Elliott unless we had someone he knew from when he played that was the HC. I would think Ruffin could keep him and would definitely look to do so.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 pm
Horton

Settle

McNeill

I don't know them personally but I know some former players and a few people currently in Boone that knew them from their time at App and all 3 apparently are well liked and considered class acts. All 3 supposedly love App as well. Based on their character and love for App that I hear about I believe I would be happy with any of them.

Exactly why I picked them. Want someone that would love the chance to coach at App State and knows how we get down and the pride and tradition that we carry at App State.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Someone told me that Clark is staying if someone he knows from the past would stay. I think it depends on who is chosen whether he goes. Clark loves App. I thought perhaps Ivey would go or maybe go coach with Elliott unless we had someone he knew from when he played that was the HC. I would think Ruffin could keep him and would definitely look to do so.
Come on, Doug. Stop with this silly charade. For those who aren't aware, AppStFan1 is Doug Glenn, a former frequent contributor to this board. Doug and Tim Horton are best buddies, and Doug is surreptitiously promoting Horton for the job. Horton way be a good candidate for the job. Only Doug Gillin knows. But it's disingenuous of you to steer the conversation toward Horton without full disclosure.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:10 am

Well, that makes sense based on his postings. But I’m not going to lie, I am absolutely behind Horton as the candidate.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Come on, Doug. Stop with this silly charade. For those who aren't aware, AppStFan1 is Doug Glenn, a former frequent contributor to this board. Doug and Tim Horton are best buddies, and Doug is surreptitiously promoting Horton for the job. Horton way be a good candidate for the job. Only Doug Gillin knows. But it's disingenuous of you to steer the conversation toward Horton without full disclosure.
2 corrections.

1. I am not Glenn. I know the name but don't know how close he is or isn't with any candidate.

2. And this is the biggest correction of the two. I did not steer the convo to Horton. AppStateAlum is the one who did that. He quoted something that happened to have something I said in there. Go back an check the author of that post.

Someone else mentioned their top 3 candidates and that is where the thread started from.

I personally think we should look at all candidates. Personally, my favorite would be McNeil because we would have a big name that people know but I am open to them all. I'm just not sure if he would come because he is coaching with his best buddy in the biz. Gillin will get this right.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:32 am

I know Horton has ties to App, but it was back during the Power I days and not after the offensive renaissance occurred. Additionally, he is used to recruiting blue chip athletes. I want someone that has had to legit evaluate talent and find those diamonds in the rough - and produced doing so. The Auburns of the world have 4 and 5 star guys falling in their laps.

I hear great things about Brown, but his lack of experience and meteoric rise concerns me. He is truly ready for HC duties? I don’t know, but we tries something similar with basketball and it didn’t turn out so well. Call me gun shy.

For these reasons, out of the 10 names on the list Ruffin is most intriguing to me.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Seriously? I look at that last and feel 10 times better than I did five minutes ago. Now, there's a few on the list that I would wonder about but there's some really strong options there, and that's just this guy's list. I imagine Gillen is getting interest from some "outside" candidates that could be strong, also. The culture thing is important though. This program has an identity and an ethic and we can't overlook that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”