Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mad? Lets do something about it!

AppOrange
School: Appalachian State

Re: Mad? Lets do something about it!

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:27 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am
Yeah, amazes me how we can get 15,000 non students to these home games, yet only 3000 YC members. We need a massive campaign to get folks in at an entry level. With numbers this low, give all new members a t shirt, Yosef club sticker and A GA ticket to a non p5 home game. Once you get them, hopefully retention efforts keep a good many of them, and, as they build wealth, they can increase their gifts.
Is there a Student Yosef Club? ECU has Student Pirate Club which comes, or used to, with a large number of perks including priority ticketing, expedited lines at games, shirts, stickers, promotional pricing for things, among others. Usually, when someone Graduates, their membership transitions to the standard Pirate Club, if they so wish to continue being involved.

If there isn't a Student Yosef Club that emulates what membership in the Yosef Club is like for Alumni, then you know the reason App only has 3,000 members. Assuming App doesn't have a Student Yosef Club with similar perks to the Pirate Club, App would be well advised to do something about it in order to generate interest once students Graduate. It also gins up excitement during game weeks.
Problem is, the students are not alumni so they are not counted. We need alumni to step up and get involved. Start low for most, keep them engaged, and let them increase over time.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:53 pm

I will tell you I think the Yosef Club is the area where we are the most lacking. I am in the top 7% of Yosef points (I found that out yesterday). I AM NOT bragging. When I told my wife she said "yikes". I'd love to fall out of the top 15%, well, I'd like to be driven out. Any amount of money matters and I know its appreciated.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:27 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am
Yeah, amazes me how we can get 15,000 non students to these home games, yet only 3000 YC members. We need a massive campaign to get folks in at an entry level. With numbers this low, give all new members a t shirt, Yosef club sticker and A GA ticket to a non p5 home game. Once you get them, hopefully retention efforts keep a good many of them, and, as they build wealth, they can increase their gifts.
Is there a Student Yosef Club? ECU has Student Pirate Club which comes, or used to, with a large number of perks including priority ticketing, expedited lines at games, shirts, stickers, promotional pricing for things, among others. Usually, when someone Graduates, their membership transitions to the standard Pirate Club, if they so wish to continue being involved.

If there isn't a Student Yosef Club that emulates what membership in the Yosef Club is like for Alumni, then you know the reason App only has 3,000 members. Assuming App doesn't have a Student Yosef Club with similar perks to the Pirate Club, App would be well advised to do something about it in order to generate interest once students Graduate. It also gins up excitement during game weeks.
Problem is, the students are not alumni so they are not counted. We need alumni to step up and get involved. Start low for most, keep them engaged, and let them increase over time.
The point was that a base needs to be built. Students should be kept engaged after graduation by any means necessary to gin up excitement to donate. I'm not sure what it would take but the Yosef Club could start with member stickers, advertising on roads in the Triad and down the I85 corridor where most of App's alumni reside. I would donate because I was local to the area and much of my formative years (middle school, high school) were spent listening to App games on the radio and attending in 2004.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 am
I know people get bent out of shape when people presume to know their financial situation, but there isn’t a single person reading this who can’t afford to make a meaningful contribution.
This. I’m sure there are people that post to this message board that do not contribute to the Yosef Club. Quite truthfully there really is no excuse for donating at least $10. This is an area that App really is lacking support big time.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 pm

I expect most folks probably have an online checking account. I have a recurring monthly debit from my checking for my dues. Some folks auto draft a monthly payment. Pay a little now each month and help App greatly.

mountainman33

Unread post by mountainman33 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 pm

QueencityApp wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 am
I know people get bent out of shape when people presume to know their financial situation, but there isn’t a single person reading this who can’t afford to make a meaningful contribution.
This. I’m sure there are people that post to this message board that do not contribute to the Yosef Club. Quite truthfully there really is no excuse for donating at least $10. This is an area that App really is lacking support big time.
Respectfully, the “no excuse” mentality is what our alumni hate. I’ve served as a Chapter President in Austin for a few years now and nothing scares off Apps like mentioning donations. An effective (App) donor drive must focus on inclusivity and impact. It must approach new donors the same way we were at App... as family. We aren’t UNC and a straight ahead (traditional) campaign drive doesn’t work.

The alumni center is getting better with this and it’s annual I Back App campaign. The campaign would benefit from additional advertising. Speaking as a marketing person I imagine they have a rough time promoting it with whatever their budget is.
-----------------------------------
Class of 2003 :geek:
Go Apps!!!
Former Austin Alumni Chapter President

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

A little different perspective from some of you...i graduated in 2012. I made every app home game and traveled to Furman, VA Tech, ECU, Wofford and Elon road games as a student. Purchased app vision until espn+ happened and I've not missed a second of any game since 2009. Not exactly a casual fan. I live in the Hickory Area and make 3-4 home games a year for the past 6 years. I just joined the yosef club back in October....because....someone invited me. I had heard the term but I thought it was just wealthy donors, i didn't know I could join. I love App State football more than anything except God and my Family...and I just found out about this. The problem is not the alumni. It's lack of exposure at the student level. I watch games with fans and talk to fellow fans for hours during the game weeks about our team. Up until 2 months ago none of us were yosef club members. We simply didn't know about it when we were in school.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm

I am on the YOSEF club site, but I don't see how to make pledges. Can you even do that online or do you have to call the YOSEF Club? I have been a member since the 80s, but only did the pledges a few years back when it was being pushed.

BTW, this thread must be getting positive results as I just noticed I have dropped several places in my rank in the YOSEF club since I checked on it yesterday...but I plan to get back up there and higher.
Give Em Hell!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Can we pin this to the top of the board? As a constant reminder to donate whenever we are mad or really just have any emotion.
YNWA

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm

I am an old guy alum (1976).....I would love it if we had a program where some of us could sponsor new members, possibly graduating seniors. If we get them started when they graduate then maybe they will keep it going. To me, that might be better than just sending a one-time contribution. I will miss Coach Satt but, I can't wait for the next chapter in the APP State story! Go APPS! (and I hope the Cardinals kick ass in the ACC!)

DaphneUrquhart

Pledges to Yosef

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:19 am

87ASUgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm
I am on the YOSEF club site, but I don't see how to make pledges. Can you even do that online or do you have to call the YOSEF Club? I have been a member since the 80s, but only did the pledges a few years back when it was being pushed.

BTW, this thread must be getting positive results as I just noticed I have dropped several places in my rank in the YOSEF club since I checked on it yesterday...but I plan to get back up there and higher.
Give to Yosef
Click on the site above.
Enter the total contribution you'd like to make over time. For example, if I want to give $10 a month for 12 months, I'd enter $120 in this box.
Check the box that says "I'd like to make scheduled payments".
Enter how you'd like the payments scheduled (up to 24 months).

If you'd like to pledge out more than 24 months, please call the Yosef office.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Appmanrcb

Unread post by Appmanrcb » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am

Just called the office, upped my donation 10% and committed to the next 5 years. Donate what you can. No amount is too small!!!

pmunz

Unread post by pmunz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm
A little different perspective from some of you...i graduated in 2012. I made every app home game and traveled to Furman, VA Tech, ECU, Wofford and Elon road games as a student. Purchased app vision until espn+ happened and I've not missed a second of any game since 2009. Not exactly a casual fan. I live in the Hickory Area and make 3-4 home games a year for the past 6 years. I just joined the yosef club back in October....because....someone invited me. I had heard the term but I thought it was just wealthy donors, i didn't know I could join. I love App State football more than anything except God and my Family...and I just found out about this. The problem is not the alumni. It's lack of exposure at the student level. I watch games with fans and talk to fellow fans for hours during the game weeks about our team. Up until 2 months ago none of us were yosef club members. We simply didn't know about it when we were in school.
Agree with the sentiments that YC was thought of as wealthy donors - especially when there is no follow-up with donors unless over $XXk mark. Understand that bigger donations can move the needle quicker (and create media opportunities), but I bet the 'smaller' donations have dropped off. As a 4 digit donor, extremely limited engagement since the calls from Gerald (RIP) stopped which helped provide a recurring connection to the Appalachian family - stark difference to the current YC administration and focus on the wining & dining of long shots.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:47 pm

I guess I react differently to being mad/displeased/angry/disappointed. I will continue the level of contribution my current finances allow me to with full knowledge that none of it is as important as the amount of money I give to SSHCO (Southern Sudan Healthcare Organization). If the government would cease the theft of 33% of my income, I might be able to give more.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:09 pm

pmunz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm
Tatedc wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm
Agree with the sentiments that YC was thought of as wealthy donors - especially when there is no follow-up with donors unless over $XXk mark. Understand that bigger donations can move the needle quicker (and create media opportunities), but I bet the 'smaller' donations have dropped off. As a 4 digit donor, extremely limited engagement since the calls from Gerald (RIP) stopped which helped provide a recurring connection to the Appalachian family - stark difference to the current YC administration and focus on the wining & dining of long shots.
What are you talking about? Do you donate money so that people will chat with you about your day OR because you believe in the organization you're giving to? If you care about Appalachian athletes, give to the Yosef Club, if you care about Appalachian academics, give to that, if you care about cancer research, give to that. If you want a friend, rescue a pet.

I don't get calls from Yosef answered, but I always get a call back.

If you can't give, no one is asking you to. But if you can and you care, you should. Give what you feel comfortable giving. Every dollar matters. People can make a real difference, every person can.

And for the record, I give to my church, and have yet to hear from... I've even had a prayer or to go unanswered. And yet I can give to things I believe in, I guess I'm kind of blessed (even with "limited outreach).

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

AZAppGrad wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm
I am an old guy alum (1976).....I would love it if we had a program where some of us could sponsor new members, possibly graduating seniors. If we get them started when they graduate then maybe they will keep it going. To me, that might be better than just sending a one-time contribution. I will miss Coach Satt but, I can't wait for the next chapter in the APP State story! Go APPS! (and I hope the Cardinals kick ass in the ACC!)
I think the free Pizza (bought by members of this board, who I believe are also Yosef Members) is a great idea to get students to basketball games. Even better.....Hand out the free pizza and sit with the students as seasoned fans. Great way to build family and exposure to the Yosef Club + it's an excuse to return to the student section for a game.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Who is the Yosef Club Director? I know we have a Ass’t. athletic directors but is there a person with title Yosef club director after Mr. Adams?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”