Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hypothetical playoff App #3 G5 team

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Hypothetical playoff App #3 G5 team

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:11 pm

AppAlum1

Re: Hypothetical playoff App #3 G5 team

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm

This is brilliant! And there is no way in Hell it will ever be adopted. Unfortunately.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm pretty sure if there was a playoff by the NCAA for the G5 teams we would be more like 5-7. UCF, Fresno State, Boise State, and Utah State would be above us. I could see Army or Cincinnati ahead as well.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm

I don't mean to make this a playoff expansion thread but we've talked a lot on our sports talk show about a) Pac-12 has to be getting tired of being left out. Look for them to press for expansion and a guaranteed spot for conference champions, and b) In 5 years of the playoff Bama has made 5 appearances, Clemson 4, Oklahoma 3. Eventually fatigue in the same teams being in it over and over will increase support for expansion.

The G5 needs to hitch our wagon to the Pac12 cause and ensure that a G5 gets a guaranteed spot.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 am

When three teams make up 60% of the teams who have ever made the final four, interest may indeed wane.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 am
When three teams make up 60% of the teams who have ever made the final four, interest may indeed wane.
there is a camp that says the NCAA has ruined the college basketball season by playoff expansion. a schedule revamp and football conference championships would have to disappear as to not make the season overly long for the athlete. the 5 star players are clustering to the schools that can win actually championship and be developed into having a chance to play in the NFL. . it's about the networks, P5 and money,. that's their business model. the real football super powers that have any chance can be counted on less than 2 hands.

bottom line...the G5 is just a hybrid FCS with NO shot at a national championship or playoff. if they do expand and the planets align and APP somehow gets an 8th seed or become a sacrificial lamb, because of athlete disparity, is it worth the 4 TD butt whipping?
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 am

The committee annually makes it loud and clear that its criteria for inclusion in the 4 team playoff automatically excludes any G5 team- strength of schedule will get all of us EVERY year! Even if we play 4 P5 teams they would have to somehow be top tier all season and we would have had to beat them, and they probably would have to still be ranked.....

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:02 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 am
The committee annually makes it loud and clear that its criteria for inclusion in the 4 team playoff automatically excludes any G5 team- strength of schedule will get all of us EVERY year! Even if we play 4 P5 teams they would have to somehow be top tier all season and we would have had to beat them, and they probably would have to still be ranked.....
in the semifinals 2 teams are favored by 2 scores in their games says a lot about talent being skewed, this mostly being determined on National Signing Day every year. These players want to win a championship and there are about 7-8 schools that can get things right and win it. The Death Star will probably be favored by nearly 2 scores in the Championship game against Clemson and over 2 scores should Touchdown Jesus miraculously beat Clemson.
BLACK SATURDAY

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 am
if they do expand and the planets align and APP somehow gets an 8th seed or become a sacrificial lamb, because of athlete disparity, is it worth the 4 TD butt whipping?
In terms of money, national exposure, and the off chance you pull the upset...absolutely.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:06 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
if they do expand and the planets align and APP somehow gets an 8th seed or become a sacrificial lamb, because of athlete disparity, is it worth the 4 TD butt whipping?
In terms of money, national exposure, and the off chance you pull the upset...absolutely.
If the playoffs were expanded there might not be as much of an athlete disparity. You might have less concentration of the high stars all going to the same few schools to ride the bench for a couple of years behind other high star athletes until the graduate or get injured. If you change some of the variables in the equation you'll get different results.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:06 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
If the playoffs were expanded there might not be as much of an athlete disparity. You might have less concentration of the high stars all going to the same few schools to ride the bench for a couple of years behind other high star athletes until the graduate or get injured. If you change some of the variables in the equation you'll get different results.
Right, good point. Like Happ said 60% the same schools, I can see Clemson and The Death Star fighting it out again in 2020, surely Georgia and Alabama again for the SEC.
BLACK SATURDAY

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Exactly. Top tier athletes see Clemson and Alabama as their best shot to win a title and go to the NFL even with as little as 1 or 2 years getting starting reps. If they know there's more than just 3 or 4 options for that it could influence their decision. Plus, how powerful is it to walk into a recruit's house and say "hey I'm the head coach at App State and we made the 8 team playoff last year"? I can't advocate expanding past 8. 8 is the perfect number. Best of all worlds. 5 conference champions, 2 wild cards, and the best G5 rep. Bolsters the value of a conference championship, 2 best outside of that group based on the eye test, and a clearly definible path for the best g5.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
A #8 going against this year's Clemson and Death Star, I'm no statistician, but has a chance, but nearly 0 chance. How many of those top 2 guys will be playing on the next level. The Big Blue and APP game isn't a comparable.
BLACK SATURDAY

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 pm
I'm pretty sure if there was a playoff by the NCAA for the G5 teams we would be more like 5-7. UCF, Fresno State, Boise State, and Utah State would be above us. I could see Army or Cincinnati ahead as well.
I doubt any G5 teams get an at large bid, so there would likely only be 5 G5 teams, which would be the conference champions. App would be better than UAB and whoever won the MAC.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:28 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 pm
I doubt any G5 teams get an at large bid, so there would likely only be 5 G5 teams, which would be the conference champions. App would be better than UAB and whoever won the MAC.
If you are going off of that assumption then yes I would agree we are #3.

I would imagine the 4 seeds would be 1. UCF 2. Fresno St 3. App St 4. UAB
We would be sent to Fresno St in the first round. Big challenge there.

Say it was 8 teams though. What do you think of this?

Autobids
AAC- UCF
CUSA- UAB
MAC- Northern Illinois
MWC- Fresno St
SBC- App State

At-Large
Cincinnati
Army
Boise State
Utah State

Last 2 in
Army
Cincinnati

First 2 out
Troy
Buffalo

I would imagine we would be 6 or 7 in this scenario.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:33 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Agreed. You have to have a seat at the table to eat. If you can get there then get there. We were never upset about going to the NCAA Tournament back in the day as SoCon champions when in reality we had no shot at ever winning the whole thing because we just didn't have the talent. At least if you have 8 teams then everyone has an equal shot. Anything can happen in 1-2 games and boom you are in the national title game. I rather be #8 and get killed than be 8-4 and beat the 100th best team by 10 in a meaningless bowl game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Repeat post sorry
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm

I’m not for separating the G5 from the P5 as far as a playoff. I like expanding the CFP to 8 with the top G5 program, P5 Conference champs and 2 at large. It keeps the integrity of the regular season and strength of schedules and balances the talent (more so than now) across the college landscape. What this should lead to is more balanced talent, better football games, and more value on good coaching/systems. Right now, I may be able to go coach Alabama to a National Championship with 5 star recruits three deep on the depth chart.
The Appalachian State

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm
I’m not for separating the G5 from the P5 as far as a playoff. I like expanding the CFP to 8 with the top G5 program, P5 Conference champs and 2 at large. It keeps the integrity of the regular season and strength of schedules and balances the talent (more so than now) across the college landscape. What this should lead to is more balanced talent, better football games, and more value on good coaching/systems. Right now, I may be able to go coach Alabama to a National Championship with 5 star recruits three deep on the depth chart.
Wouldn't necessarily FORCE Notre Dame into a conference but it would definitely be a huge push. Every season they'd be playing for 2 available spots.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:14 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm
Wouldn't necessarily FORCE Notre Dame into a conference but it would definitely be a huge push. Every season they'd be playing for 2 available spots.
I picture those little leprechauns hovering over their pot-o-Gold tv contract like Gollum. They are going to hold on to that as long as possible until their independence becomes a financial burden.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”