Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satt Deal

goapps93

Re: Satt Deal

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Semantics. They're Scott's assistants.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 pm

He is probably out of the loop, but during halftime of the basketball game Pierre Banks just said Coach Ivey would be leading the Mountaineers in New Orleans. He also said we shouldn’t miss a beat with Bryan Brown still running the defense and Frank Ponce calling plays in Nola.

A man can hope we keep as much of the staff together for this big bowl game. GO APPS!!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm

I believe I read the buyout was $2.1 mil if permission to speak with Satt was not granted by DG. We knew the odds of Satt leaving was better than 50/50 so why wouldn't you just say no, let Satt do what he was going to do, and pocket the $2.1mil to put towards the new staff? I mean, I imagine Satt would view it is a "parting gift" anyways, and it's not like Satt wasn't going to talk to UL even if DG did not grant permission. The crazy low buyout in the updated contract, from just a few months's ago, was our gift to Satt (or more likely Jimmy Sexton) in the first place...we should've taken our "gift" on the backend. No skin off the Cards backs.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 pm
APP93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm
The Rock wrote: Everyone was saying earlier that Satt wouldn’t do that to App, wouldn’t steal our staff or recruits. I knew he would do what he had to to set himself up for success, but what surprises me is that he is going to take several with him before the bowl game. I know he is against a recruiting deadline, but it’s obvious he isnt concerned for App anymore. I wish he would hurry and name who he is taking so we can give a new coach an idea of who he needs to replace
Scott is going to do what is best for Louisville. He is not purposely trying to flip us off and destroy us but he is going to do what he can to make sure Louisville is the best they can be and if that means taking 80% of our staff and even accepting some of our players to transfer in, he will do it. Time to focus on the bowl game and our recruiting class because we can have a very special 2019 season without Satterfield or any of those who don't want to be here. Ultimately we have to want people who want to be here. If Brown, Satt, and others leave then they don't want to be here and want the paycheck. I am not mad at them for doing so but we have to do what we can to be our best and not harp on the fact they are gone. They are gone and that does not prevent us from having a great ending to this year and 2019 season.
Some are forgetting that the assistant coaches are not "our" staff, they work for the Head Coach. Every coach takes at least some of HIS staff with him. Our new Head Coach will bring some of HIS staff with him. There may not be room for more than one or two of Scott's staff to stay in Boone.
Isn't Appalachian State on the check these coaches cash every month???? What am I missing...sure, they are part of the coaching staff and reported to Satt...but Satt didn't pay them.
They are but Louisville has a greater budget so if Scott wants to offer some of our guys more money they most likely would go and take the money. The only thing keeping coaches would be that they just love App and that the new head coach would want to keep them. There is a chance that the entire staff is new next year.

I do predict that we will have a lot of answers pretty quickly. I would be surprised if we don't have our next head coach no later than a week or so after the bowl game.
If we do not promote someone from our staff to HC, then whomever we hire will must likely bring in a lot of their own guys. So why wouldn't some of our guys bolt to Louisville if Satt is hiring? If you are on the coaching staff of App state right now you are more than a little worried, lots of uncertainty.

I do hope we make a hir ed ASAP, would not want to wait until after the NO Bowl, hopefully it will be next week.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

If he takes Brown and Ivey after the bowl then we may have a down year next year. I was thinking if we could get by losing Satt and keeping the defense in tact we might be okay. However now I am starting to get a little concerned and especially since he is calling our commits.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 pm

asu7 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm
If he takes Brown and Ivey after the bowl then we may have a down year next year. I was thinking if we could get by losing Satt and keeping the defense in tact we might be okay. However now I am starting to get a little concerned and especially since he is calling our commits.
If either Brown or Ivey are candidates, then lock one up quickly.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Staff aside, Satterfield should be good enough to begin turning Louisville into a winner without touching our current players or recruits. I know he is going to take some staff with him but if He tries to lure players to come with him then that adds up to trying to gut our program like a fish all so he can make things easier on him. If he does that then all his press conference declarations of love and appreciation for APP and the team and fans are nothing but crap.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

I really am starting to think Satt is thinking about Satt which all of us would do as well probably. I am getting the feeling that he is going to gut us.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:18 pm

I’d want my people......

I don’t like it but I get it.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 pm

asu7 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm
I really am starting to think Satt is thinking about Satt which all of us would do as well probably. I am getting the feeling that he is going to gut us.
If he does...he does.... Frost did the Same thing taking 7 on staff with him:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 108311330/

We have a young returning team - no reason we can't do what UCF has done.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:24 pm

The Sky Is Falling...The Sky Is Falling!!! LMAO!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:24 pm

APP93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 pm
APP93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Scott is going to do what is best for Louisville. He is not purposely trying to flip us off and destroy us but he is going to do what he can to make sure Louisville is the best they can be and if that means taking 80% of our staff and even accepting some of our players to transfer in, he will do it. Time to focus on the bowl game and our recruiting class because we can have a very special 2019 season without Satterfield or any of those who don't want to be here. Ultimately we have to want people who want to be here. If Brown, Satt, and others leave then they don't want to be here and want the paycheck. I am not mad at them for doing so but we have to do what we can to be our best and not harp on the fact they are gone. They are gone and that does not prevent us from having a great ending to this year and 2019 season.
Some are forgetting that the assistant coaches are not "our" staff, they work for the Head Coach. Every coach takes at least some of HIS staff with him. Our new Head Coach will bring some of HIS staff with him. There may not be room for more than one or two of Scott's staff to stay in Boone.
Isn't Appalachian State on the check these coaches cash every month???? What am I missing...sure, they are part of the coaching staff and reported to Satt...but Satt didn't pay them.
They are but Louisville has a greater budget so if Scott wants to offer some of our guys more money they most likely would go and take the money. The only thing keeping coaches would be that they just love App and that the new head coach would want to keep them. There is a chance that the entire staff is new next year.

I do predict that we will have a lot of answers pretty quickly. I would be surprised if we don't have our next head coach no later than a week or so after the bowl game.
If we do not promote someone from our staff to HC, then whomever we hire will must likely bring in a lot of their own guys. So why wouldn't some of our guys bolt to Louisville if Satt is hiring? If you are on the coaching staff of App state right now you are more than a little worried, lots of uncertainty.

I do hope we make a hir ed ASAP, would not want to wait until after the NO Bowl, hopefully it will be next week.

That is assuming we hire an existing HC with a staff. A newly promoted HC (not necessarily from within) may need or appreciate current assistants to fill up the staff. Especially with the successful and loaded team we have and especially if that person has prior experience with those assistants like Ledford would have

Raoul_Duke
School: Louisville

Unread post by Raoul_Duke » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:25 pm

For whatever it's worth to you guys...

My wife's from the mountains (Hazard, KY). I know how to properly pronounce Appalachia/Appalachian. Unfortunately, I must confess, not a lot in Louisville proper do however. It's OK I guess. Most folks don't know how to properly pronounce Louisville either.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Satt could have agreed to a larger buyout to help as he exited, $425k is a weak buyout with four years remaining. The one item DG got wrong.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm

As I said in an earlier post, for a program like ours to achieve the success we have had, it's the system, it's the process, it's more than one person. Satt didn't come in to a dumpster fire at App and he didn't leave a dumpster fire, he just bought in to the system put in place many years ago, put his own stamp on it, but kept it rolling...I think they should promote Ivey, he understand how we do it here in Boone and if he is hired I think the train keeps rolling.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm
I believe I read the buyout was $2.1 mil if permission to speak with Satt was not granted by DG. We knew the odds of Satt leaving was better than 50/50 so why wouldn't you just say no, let Satt do what he was going to do, and pocket the $2.1mil to put towards the new staff? I mean, I imagine Satt would view it is a "parting gift" anyways, and it's not like Satt wasn't going to talk to UL even if DG did not grant permission. The crazy low buyout in the updated contract, from just a few months's ago, was our gift to Satt (or more likely Jimmy Sexton) in the first place...we should've taken our "gift" on the backend. No skin off the Cards backs.
Well they definitely have more money than most athletic programs… I’m not sure that they would’ve paid a $2 million buyout for their second choice. In that case, the coach could also feel like you were actively making it hard for them to get a better job. That’s not the situation you want yourself in.

I would’ve liked for it to have been a little higher considering how many years he had left on his contract… But here we are.

Hudson2002

Unread post by Hudson2002 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Not that it really matters, but the 3.25 is essentially his guaranteed money. He has another 1.25 in annual performance bonus potential for up 4.5 total annual comp. For the record, if anyone ever pays me over 3 mill annually they can keep the 1,000 car allowance. I’ll buy my own car. That seems a little silly. A higher buyout wouldn’t have prevented losing him, but would have been nice for a cash strapped program for sure!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm
Some of ya’ll are acting like children and would probably be the same ones on here calling for his head if one season went sideways.

College football is a business. You honestly think he was going to go to Louisville, arguably the greatest challenge of his career, and not surround himself the familiarity of his coordinators, who have helped him be successful?

Cmon guys.
I mentioned on another thread that just a few years ago after losing to the likes of Liberty and Charleston Southern there WERE lots of morons on this board calling for his head. Guys posted pictures of for sale signs and other stupid nonsense. Then he became the next Bear Bryant or some other nonsense. I love college football but this and other big time contracts are insane. To expect the man to stay here his entire career is ludicrous. We are loaded next season and I’m sure DG will hire an incredible coach. Have the faith. There is magic on the mountain!

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm

We are loaded but without coaches who know the system around I am worried new coaches will come in and change things. Then we become GaSo and I can’t stomach that.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm

APP93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm
As I said in an earlier post, for a program like ours to achieve the success we have had, it's the system, it's the process, it's more than one person. Satt didn't come in to a dumpster fire at App and he didn't leave a dumpster fire, he just bought in to the system put in place many years ago, put his own stamp on it, but kept it rolling...I think they should promote Ivey, he understand how we do it here in Boone and if he is hired I think the train keeps rolling.
players have very high regard for Ivey. I hope he gets it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”