Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satt Deal

T-Dog

Re: Satt Deal

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:56 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 pm
It will be interesting is the freshly dismissed by Satt, Stephon Brown pops up at UL?
Brown had on field, off field and academic issues. Satt ain't touching him.

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 pm

yikas1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm
I guess this is the way it goes in this business. Satt did a lot for App but don’t forget what we have done for him. It’s a shame he takes the money and runs two days after the last game and can’t wait two more weeks before he announced he is taking coaches too?
It's not uncommon. Like people said, there's the issue of signing day being so close. It's the same reason why Urban Meyer did what he did today instead of waiting for the Rose Bowl to say he was out. It's not ideal but it's not a death knell. Look at what Stink did to Bowling Green after their coach left for Tulane, they took them to the wood shed (just don't look at what they did the next season, lol)

We'll be fine. How many of these coordinators were replacements from others who went on elsewhere? Remember how everyone got bent out of shape when Woody went to USC instead of staying put?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm
mgsouth wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm
Staff aside, Satterfield should be good enough to begin turning Louisville into a winner without touching our current players or recruits. I know he is going to take some staff with him but if He tries to lure players to come with him then that adds up to trying to gut our program like a fish all so he can make things easier on him. If he does that then all his press conference declarations of love and appreciation for APP and the team and fans are nothing but crap.
I watched the entire press conference. Satterfield was very clear to say he's NOT pursuing any of App's commitments nor anyone who is currently a target. What he did say was that he would revisit recruits who were targeted early and then began to get P5 offers. Those are the ones he's going to try and rekindle the relationships with now that he's at a P5 program.
That’s not exactly what I hear. He said they would revisit some recruits that had previously had P5 interest (as you said) and some other guys coming in over the next couple weeks.
He kinda glazed over it, didn’t say he was talking to current recruits, but as I understood it, he definitely didn’t say I’m not touching any current App state recruits.
Guess time will tell

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

Did you notice how Scott still referred to App as "we" will win in the bowl game? At the end of the day, I think he felt like he had accomplished all he could here and it was time for a new challenge. I also think he will help us as much as he can moving forward. Most likely with recruits that just miss P5.
Wish he was still here.Wish him well and hope the transition is not too difficult on the family.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 pm
yikas1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm
I guess this is the way it goes in this business. Satt did a lot for App but don’t forget what we have done for him. It’s a shame he takes the money and runs two days after the last game and can’t wait two more weeks before he announced he is taking coaches too?
It's not uncommon. Like people said, there's the issue of signing day being so close. It's the same reason why Urban Meyer did what he did today instead of waiting for the Rose Bowl to say he was out. It's not ideal but it's not a death knell. Look at what Stink did to Bowling Green after their coach left for Tulane, they took them to the wood shed (just don't look at what they did the next season, lol)

We'll be fine. How many of these coordinators were replacements from others who went on elsewhere? Remember how everyone got bent out of shape when Woody went to USC instead of staying put?
Bowling Green really was hurt by that coaching exodus. To be fair, that was also after Fritz left GS for Tulane, and I believe they were down a few coaches too (not sure how many). But it's probably a different thing when you not only have a skeleton crew but you have to prep for the triple option.

Then too, that wasn't the last time a MAC champ got taken behind the woodshed in Mobile by a Sun Belt team.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:52 pm
I'm sure he'll bring several of our coaches with him. That is not "gutting" our program. Good grief.

To those who think he's going to try and take our whole recruiting class - you do realize our class would be considered bottom of the barrel by ACC standards, right? Sure some of them will turn out better than projected, but part of the reason you go somewhere like Louisville is to recruit better talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him poach one or two, but we'll lose more than that to P5s whether it's Louisville or somebody else.

Threads like this are why so many of us tried to level-set expectations whenever people would post the "Satt's not all about money, he's going to be like his mentor Jerry" stuff. Because the backlash was so predictable. When people let themselves believe stuff like that, they're setting themselves up to be angry and bitter when reality slaps them in the face.
I think it’s people overestimating who and what Appalachian football is. A really good lower level program in a very small, relatively isolated market. The fact that we do with what we have is honestly INCREDIBLE to me, and speaks to our culture. But I also think it sometimes masks the reality of what we are to some folks.

Which I suppose is okay, I’d rather our more delusional fans be aspirational dreamers as opposed to constant Debbie Downers.

I’m freaking pumped for Satterfield and our future. And also really excited at the idea of our brand new coaching staff steamrolling those mouth breathers down in Statesboro who have the audacity to believe we will lose a step.
YNWA

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 pm
mgsouth wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm
Staff aside, Satterfield should be good enough to begin turning Louisville into a winner without touching our current players or recruits. I know he is going to take some staff with him but if He tries to lure players to come with him then that adds up to trying to gut our program like a fish all so he can make things easier on him. If he does that then all his press conference declarations of love and appreciation for APP and the team and fans are nothing but crap.
I watched the entire press conference. Satterfield was very clear to say he's NOT pursuing any of App's commitments nor anyone who is currently a target. What he did say was that he would revisit recruits who were targeted early and then began to get P5 offers. Those are the ones he's going to try and rekindle the relationships with now that he's at a P5 program.
That’s not exactly what I hear. He said they would revisit some recruits that had previously had P5 interest (as you said) and some other guys coming in over the next couple weeks.
He kinda glazed over it, didn’t say he was talking to current recruits, but as I understood it, he definitely didn’t say I’m not touching any current App state recruits.
Guess time will tell
He might take some recruits, and that’s ok. It’s the kids and their families’ choice where they go, not ours. If suddenly there’s a P5 program that A) Wants them and B) Is led by a coach they wanted to play for anyway, who thinks the world of them then that’s where they should go. They haven’t signed anything yet.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 am

Apptiger wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm
Did you notice how Scott still referred to App as "we" will win in the bowl game? At the end of the day, I think he felt like he had accomplished all he could here and it was time for a new challenge. I also think he will help us as much as he can moving forward. Most likely with recruits that just miss P5.
Wish he was still here.Wish him well and hope the transition is not too difficult on the family.
Actually he did not do all he could do here. He could have stayed and gone 13-0 next year and that alone would have done everything he has yet to do. 1. Has not swept the SBC 2. Has not gone undefeated 3. Has not beaten a P5 4. Has not finished ranked 5. Has not made it to a NY6 Bowl

If he had gone 13-0 next year he could have done all of that and then I would 100% agree and believe him when he says he did all he could and this is about a new challenge.

He left for Louisville for one reason and one reason only... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... It was all about the money here and he was given 3M+ plus reasons to leave as opposed to the 900-950K reasons he had to stay.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:52 pm
I'm sure he'll bring several of our coaches with him. That is not "gutting" our program. Good grief.

To those who think he's going to try and take our whole recruiting class - you do realize our class would be considered bottom of the barrel by ACC standards, right? Sure some of them will turn out better than projected, but part of the reason you go somewhere like Louisville is to recruit better talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him poach one or two, but we'll lose more than that to P5s whether it's Louisville or somebody else.

Threads like this are why so many of us tried to level-set expectations whenever people would post the "Satt's not all about money, he's going to be like his mentor Jerry" stuff. Because the backlash was so predictable. When people let themselves believe stuff like that, they're setting themselves up to be angry and bitter when reality slaps them in the face.
I think it’s people overestimating who and what Appalachian football is. A really good lower level program in a very small, relatively isolated market. The fact that we do with what we have is honestly INCREDIBLE to me, and speaks to our culture. But I also think it sometimes masks the reality of what we are to some folks.

Which I suppose is okay, I’d rather our more delusional fans be aspirational dreamers as opposed to constant Debbie Downers.

I’m freaking pumped for Satterfield and our future. And also really excited at the idea of our brand new coaching staff steamrolling those mouth breathers down in Statesboro who have the audacity to believe we will lose a step.
I never thought Satt would stay if given a big money offer but I did think he may have waited out one more year to do something special. I don't think Louisville is a good situation for him and believe he could have gotten better next year. The only thing Louisville has is they are in the ACC.

As for us, we are very limited because of the TV market and it is hard to get to App. There is no question about that. The one thing we should know though is that the G5 level is essentially what I-AA was 20-30 years ago. We are now seeing many of the teams who either did not have football yet or were in I-AA with us back then. The SBC is the Big South of the G5 level. We need to get in the MVFC/CAA/Old SoCon of FCS at the G5 level and that would be the AAC. The AAC is possible but we do need to improve some other sports and really knock off some P5s to get that national name like Boise State and UCF now have so we could be in line to be attractive to that league when they do need to add a couple teams.

Appmanrcb

Unread post by Appmanrcb » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:38 am

Beating a dead horse at this point but why not throw in my 2 cents?? First off successful people earn promotions. Congrats Satt, you put in a hell of a lot of work to earn your Louisville deal. It blows my mind that our former Coach, in six years, took us from the fcs, to multiple conference championships, multiple bowl wins, a Top 25 ranking and ultimately landed an ACC head coaching job. We have to have continued success to move up the ranks. I have complete faith that Mr. Gillin will hire a solid head coach to lead us in our continued transition into FBS. We have been spoiled, I’ve been part of App for 18 years, and we have only had 2 Head Coaches. Look at hundreds of other programs around the country. There is a revolving door. We are gonna get crazy here and compare apples to oranges. I run a restaurant. If one of my competitors offered me an almost 500% raise but I would have to start tomorrow and leave my current group of employees and regulars, I am out. I would be changing not only my future, but my entire family’s, as well as the next generation. Second, We as fans are extremely emotionally invested. We forget at times that college football is arguably one of the most lucrative and completely insane business models that are out there. Windows are small and very little is guaranteed. So Coach Satt is gone. App will survive, I will survive. Our players, remaining coaches and fans will survive. There are two tangible things that I can do. The first is show up in New Orleans, cheer my ass off and support the players and coaching staff for all they have done and earned this year. The second is to call the Yosef club, up my donation by 10% and commit at that level for the next five years.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 am
Apptiger wrote:
Actually he did not do all he could do here. He could have stayed and gone 13-0 next year and that alone would have done everything he has yet to do. 1. Has not swept the SBC 2. Has not gone undefeated 3. Has not beaten a P5 4. Has not finished ranked 5. Has not made it to a NY6 Bowl

If he had gone 13-0 next year he could have done all of that and then I would 100% agree and believe him when he says he did all he could and this is about a new challenge.

He left for Louisville for one reason and one reason only... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... It was all about the money here and he was given 3M+ plus reasons to leave as opposed to the 900-950K reasons he had to stay.
Enough. It wasn’t just about money.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 am

asu7 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm
If he takes Brown and Ivey after the bowl then we may have a down year next year. I was thinking if we could get by losing Satt and keeping the defense in tact we might be okay. However now I am starting to get a little concerned and especially since he is calling our commits.
In his presser, Scott said he would contact those who we pursued early but later dropped off our radar because they got P5 offers. He didn't say they would go after our commits. That doesn't mean some might not want to follow him.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:22 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 pm
We need to be in a better conference. Being good in the Sun Belt or C-USA is just going to make us a glorified P5 talent pool.
You are 100% right. We are in the worst league in FBS right now. Until we get in the AAC it is more likely to happen. That would help us at least make it tougher to lose coaches and commits.
Wrong... the Sun Belt is not the worst conference and Satt would still have left if we were in the AAC because he would still be getting a huge raise and removing the G5 ceiling.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:07 am

Satt’s compensation is commensurate with his accomplishments. Man he represented App Nation so well in his presser. I found myself saying “man I want that guy”.... We should all be glad and proud of Scott. From Apps he made it to the big-time, our program has come so far and he was a big part of that. I’m glad he praised the App fans, the App culture and stated that “that” is what he wanted to build there. He gave an appropriate amount of praise to all of us. He will build a freakin jagernaught at Louisville. UNC will rue the day they passed on Satt. In practical matters, he did say he will run a 3 -4 defense and mentioned Woody...hmm. He will certainly take some of the existing staff, I’m sure they would like a raise too. It will be interesting to see who goes and who stays and who will be the next leader of our program. I feel confident that we’ll have a kick ass team next year. One thing that Scott did was leave the cupboards Full. Really couldn’t asked for more.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:21 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:39 pm
Why does he have to steal brown? Couldn’t he go get woody from ga tech?
I mean if Brown doesn’t get offered by Satt he’s going to Ole Miss. either Brown is our HC next year or he’s not on the staff.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:34 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:21 am
mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:39 pm
Why does he have to steal brown? Couldn’t he go get woody from ga tech?
I mean if Brown doesn’t get offered by Satt he’s going to Ole Miss. either Brown is our HC next year or he’s not on the staff.
You sure about that? I mean he may go to another school, Louisville or Ole Miss perhaps, but not as. DC. He has one year of DC experience. P5s are not going to hand over the keys to the kingdom to a guy that just finished his first year at the helm of a unit. He may go as an assistant though.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 am

Do we really know how good Brown is? How much of this was Woody left over? I would want him as a DC but not a HC just yet.

There are guys who make great coordinators but bad head coaches. Fox and Turner for example.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 am

Apptiger wrote:

Wonder who he would call "we" if we were playing Louisville in a bowl game?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 am

I haven’t watched his presser but does any realistic person expect him to just talk about App State? Come on man!

Be careful what you wish for! We all clamored to play big boy football. Well here we are. When you are on the front page of the ESPN college football page with stories like this stuffs gonna happen that suck. We will get a great coach and kick ass next year.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:23 am

asu7 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 am
Do we really know how good Brown is? How much of this was Woody left over? I would want him as a DC but not a HC just yet.

There are guys who make great coordinators but bad head coaches. Fox and Turner for example.
Exactly. I see that the players relate well to him and he is a good energy guy, but to my knowledge, he didn’t do anything other than continue to run woody’s defense. Does he have connections to find and assemble a good staff? What are his qualifications for running an offense? Special teams? Identify good fits for all our schemes and win the recruiting battle against other teams?
I’m sure he has the chance to be a great coach, I’m just not sure if he is ready after 1 year as DC of someone else’s scheme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”