Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satt Deal

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satt Deal

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Where did you find the press conference Boone Goon?

I watched it on the local TV station's feed, but here it is on Youtube
Have any of you looked at the faces of the kids and Beth? They don't want to be there. She smiled genuinely when he mentioned when they met and their time at App as athletes. To Beth, I am sorry you have to go through that. I know your heart is in Boone 100% even though Scott says he has seen his dream come true of being at Louisville.

I won't be looking at anymore Louisville or Satt stuff now. Seeing that makes me mad and shows me we now have to get in AAC, increase revenue, and keep other teams from poaching us so easily. I hope Gillin is mad at that as well and is as committed as I hope the rest of us are in preventing this from happening every 2-3 years.
I think you have an incredibly inflated idea of how important Appalachian State is in the greater college football picture. Going to the AAC won't help us keep coaches longer. Look how many coaches have been at UCF, USF, Memphis, and Cincinnati over the last 10 years. And as for Beth and the kids, press conferences aren't exactly the most exciting events, but I can think of three million reasons for Beth to be excited for this move, and one, one thousand dollar a month reason that the kids will like this move.
My point is that coaches stay because of money. If folks on this board are devastated by this, which there is no reason to be, then the only way to keep coaches a little longer is to go to a league who has a bigger payout and for us to raise more money.

I know we are very small in the CFB picture. We are not a power program for sure.

But what I'm about to say is fact. It is all about money. If we had a donor who gave 50M bucks and said to give it to our next head coach for the next 5 years there are not more than 3-4 names out there in the CFB world that we could not get. Coaches make decisions based on money. Had DG been given a generous donation like that, Satterfield would have 100% turned down Louisville. If any of you believe what he said that Louisville is the right situation and he felt it was time to move on and that he is where he wants to be then you need to learn about the business. Satterfield was looking for big money that he felt would set him and his family for life and that is all this was. This was 100% about money and it always is for younger coaches. Only the older ones who have been in the P5 level a long time and have made good money are willing to go somewhere to be comfortable.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:02 am
Of course the kids are bummed. I've never met a teenager that enjoyed moving away from their friends. They'll thank their dad once their in their mid-late 20's.

That said, I bet the family stays in Boone one more year, son is a junior.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Where did you find the press conference Boone Goon?

I watched it on the local TV station's feed, but here it is on Youtube
Have any of you looked at the faces of the kids and Beth? They don't want to be there. She smiled genuinely when he mentioned when they met and their time at App as athletes. To Beth, I am sorry you have to go through that. I know your heart is in Boone 100% even though Scott says he has seen his dream come true of being at Louisville.

I won't be looking at anymore Louisville or Satt stuff now. Seeing that makes me mad and shows me we now have to get in AAC, increase revenue, and keep other teams from poaching us so easily. I hope Gillin is mad at that as well and is as committed as I hope the rest of us are in preventing this from happening every 2-3 years.
I think you have an incredibly inflated idea of how important Appalachian State is in the greater college football picture. Going to the AAC won't help us keep coaches longer. Look how many coaches have been at UCF, USF, Memphis, and Cincinnati over the last 10 years. And as for Beth and the kids, press conferences aren't exactly the most exciting events, but I can think of three million reasons for Beth to be excited for this move, and one, one thousand dollar a month reason that the kids will like this move.
My point is that coaches stay because of money. If folks on this board are devastated by this, which there is no reason to be, then the only way to keep coaches a little longer is to go to a league who has a bigger payout and for us to raise more money.

I know we are very small in the CFB picture. We are not a power program for sure.

But what I'm about to say is fact. It is all about money. If we had a donor who gave 50M bucks and said to give it to our next head coach for the next 5 years there are not more than 3-4 names out there in the CFB world that we could not get. Coaches make decisions based on money. Had DG been given a generous donation like that, Satterfield would have 100% turned down Louisville. If any of you believe what he said that Louisville is the right situation and he felt it was time to move on and that he is where he wants to be then you need to learn about the business. Satterfield was looking for big money that he felt would set him and his family for life and that is all this was. This was 100% about money and it always is for younger coaches. Only the older ones who have been in the P5 level a long time and have made good money are willing to go somewhere to be comfortable.
I do agree with this. That doesn't make it wrong either. I hope we continue to invest in our coaches, so the quality of the HC and assistants improves, as does longevity.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:38 am
appgrad wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 am
Apptiger wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm
Did you notice how Scott still referred to App as "we" will win in the bowl game? At the end of the day, I think he felt like he had accomplished all he could here and it was time for a new challenge. I also think he will help us as much as he can moving forward. Most likely with recruits that just miss P5.
Wish he was still here.Wish him well and hope the transition is not too difficult on the family.
Actually he did not do all he could do here. He could have stayed and gone 13-0 next year and that alone would have done everything he has yet to do. 1. Has not swept the SBC 2. Has not gone undefeated 3. Has not beaten a P5 4. Has not finished ranked 5. Has not made it to a NY6 Bowl

If he had gone 13-0 next year he could have done all of that and then I would 100% agree and believe him when he says he did all he could and this is about a new challenge.

He left for Louisville for one reason and one reason only... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... It was all about the money here and he was given 3M+ plus reasons to leave as opposed to the 900-950K reasons he had to stay.
Enough. It wasn’t just about money.
I know you aren't saying it's all about money...but even if it was - who cares?

Do any of you realize what Scott just did for his family? Paid for all three of his kids colleges, paid for his daughter's wedding, never has to worry about paying a mortgage again if he doesn't want. He probably paid for his grandkids college and weddings too. That's what that kind of money can do for someone.

I guarantee you there were years where Scott made less than $20k to be a college coach, living in some crummy house outside Boone with other young coaches, and still kept at it, and stayed at App, because he loved App and he loved coaching...and people want to act like he's greedy now because he earned a shot at a bigger job and more money for his family? Who the F are you?

No one on here would ever say no if someone asked you to do the same job you have now for 8 times the money...so stop acting like its any different for him.
Speak for yourself. Some things are more important than money.
I prefer to be happy and would not go to just any situation personally but he has 3 kids and is married. Things would have been different here if he were single with no kids. 90% of us are going to take the big payday even if we don't truly want to because we feel we have to. He felt he had to do this and I'm sure he was worried that he may not get another chance. Does he truly want to be at Louisville and this is the ideal destination for him? Heck no. It was just the only P5 offer he had and the only school willing to hire him who could pay 3M or more a year.

If Louisville does not go as he plans and this is his last payday then I fully expect him to start making decisions in his 50s that are about him being happy and being comfortable with top job security.

Like I said before, in terms of a money move he made the 100% correct choice here but in terms of career and being where he would be happy and wants to be in say 10 years he made the wrong move. This move was made more for his children and wife than for him personally.

Snaggy

Unread post by Snaggy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 pm

He did it for both the money and the opportunity to win on a bigger stage with more goals to chase. He even said in the press conference that he had accomplished all that he could at App. 3 straight conference championships, 3 straight bowl wins. NY6 bowl is the only thing missing, and in the grand scheme, that's not too much different than the NOLA bowl. Sure NY6 will give us more exposure and pit us against a better opponent, but that's it. I love App State through and through, but we have a very real ceiling. And I am perfectly fine with that. I love our team, our culture, and the place we get to call home. But for a coach who is very much competitively driven, he wants more. And I am perfectly ok with that too. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he ends up winning the CFP one day.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm

This may be off topic, but some of these points about Scott's professional and personal choices got me wondering: I was born in Boone. My first formal education was at Lucy Brock. I went to Harden Park and graduated from Watauga. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees from Appalachian. I met the woman I married in School there. We left Boone for career opportunities. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad a person am I?

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm
This may be off topic, but some of these points about Scott's professional and personal choices got me wondering: I was born in Boone. My first formal education was at Lucy Brock. I went to Harden Park and graduated from Watauga. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees from Appalachian. I met the woman I married in School there. We left Boone for career opportunities. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad a person am I?
You are deplorable.........to some. To me, you followed your career path and improved yourself. Well done.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Well, based on the fact, that I've never spoken with you. Haven't met your wife or anything else. I am comfortable saying, you're a money grubbing street whore! Obviously, I'm kidding, but based on what others on here are assuming about Scott, I think you and I's posts are excellent!

I hope by this time next week people will remember the insanity of their posts and apologies, but I doubt it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I know folks are upset and I get that but some of these comments make App State Football sound like a cult. I can only assume that those who think App State, and loyalty thereto, is the absolute top of the priority heap all work for App and contribute their tithe to the University, right?

Here's a new flash for some of you: App State Football is a hobby for those of us who are fans. For the coaches and their families, these decisions are about improving their lives. DJ made that point on the Black & Gold Podcast that was posted last night. Everyone should listen to what was discussed to add some perspective.

The timing (before the bowl game) sucks, but that's a function of the early signing date that started a year ago. Remember that? We got a huge benefit last year but this year is bit us because Louisville needs Scott working on their class for next year. Louisville isn't going to be dazzled by trying to flip recruits from App. They'll be looking for an ACC level list...you know...lots of stars! Satt now has access and leverage to really court some of those guys.

The relationship between App State and Satterfield has been mutually beneficial and he isn't leaving on bad terms. He has always a class act, and he continues to be. I guess some of you think we should expect a head coach to be driven towards success and hyper competitive in all things EXCEPT his personal life. Folks, he wants to compete on the biggest stage and he's earned this shot! He is leaving us with a FULL Cupboard of talent, so any good coach can succeed, but he gets blamed for leaving before our projected 13-0 season? Come on! At least try to be reasonable because I don't believe anyone of this board would turn down the opportunity to make $3-4 MILLION per year for 6 years.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:31 pm

I wonder if Satt gets a Cardinal visor as part of his deal?!?

https://fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/ ... .jpg&w=600

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm
I know folks are upset and I get that but some of these comments make App State Football sound like a cult. I can only assume that those who think App State, and loyalty thereto, is the absolute top of the priority heap all work for App and contribute their tithe to the University, right?

Here's a new flash for some of you: App State Football is a hobby for those of us who are fans. For the coaches and their families, these decisions are about improving their lives. DJ made that point on the Black & Gold Podcast that was posted last night. Everyone should listen to what was discussed to add some perspective.

The timing (before the bowl game) sucks, but that's a function of the early signing date that started a year ago. Remember that? We got a huge benefit last year but this year is bit us because Louisville needs Scott working on their class for next year. Louisville isn't going to be dazzled by trying to flip recruits from App. They'll be looking for an ACC level list...you know...lots of stars! Satt now has access and leverage to really court some of those guys.

The relationship between App State and Satterfield has been mutually beneficial and he isn't leaving on bad terms. He has always a class act, and he continues to be. I guess some of you think we should expect a head coach to be driven towards success and hyper competitive in all things EXCEPT his personal life. Folks, he wants to compete on the biggest stage and he's earned this shot! He is leaving us with a FULL Cupboard of talent, so any good coach can succeed, but he gets blamed for leaving before our projected 13-0 season? Come on! At least try to be reasonable because I don't believe anyone of this board would turn down the opportunity to make $3-4 MILLION per year for 6 years.
I personally am projecting a 14-0 season as long as the injury bug doesn't haunt us too much...

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I personally am projecting a 14-0 season as long as the injury bug doesn't haunt us too much...
I like the way you think! :-D

yosefshat

Unread post by yosefshat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I'm surprised you aren't tearing down the gates of hell yet.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I figured out why his wife and kids don’t look happy. Part of his deal included ONLY 4 club seats to the basketball games which means somebody has to stay home! They will probably have to draw straws.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm
I figured out why his wife and kids don’t look happy. Part of his deal included ONLY 4 club seats to the basketball games which means somebody has to stay home! They will probably have to draw straws.
He is the HCIC at Louisville now. I’m sure that they can find him an extra seat.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:42 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Do you think he left because he couldn't get good seats at our basketball games???

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Well, based on the fact, that I've never spoken with you. Haven't met your wife or anything else. I am comfortable saying, you're a money grubbing street whore! Obviously, I'm kidding, but based on what others on here are assuming about Scott, I think you and I's posts are excellent!

I hope by this time next week people will remember the insanity of their posts and apologies, but I doubt it.
Who said that? There is ZERO wrong with him choosing to go to Louisville for the money. He decided to better his financial situation and set himself up to be comfortable for the rest of his life. Nobody on here should begrudge him from leaving but he is now a Louisville Cardinal and his focus and priority #1 is their program. Will he be glad to see his alma mater do well? Yes but he still will not do anything to help us, and he shouldn't.

My only problem is that we have fans who act like Louisville is their 2nd team now and they are pulling hard for them. Should we wish for Louisville to lose and be awful? Certainly not. However, we would be stupid to spend time focused on them and take any focus away from helping our team win. No need to be mad at Satt or Louisville but we should not take them on as our P5 team either. They are going to try and steal our assistants, likely offer some of our commits, and would gladly take any App player who wants to transfer there. Louisville is not going to be our friend anymore than any other ACC school.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
That has to be it! I think his agent should have gotten him 9 club seats for his 3 kids, wife, himself, his parents, and her parents. Talk about a bad deal LOL

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm

I thought Jimmy was a good agent...

C note will get you season tickets to App basketball... Just sayin

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Who said that? There is ZERO wrong with him choosing to go to Louisville for the money. He decided to better his financial situation and set himself up to be comfortable for the rest of his life. Nobody on here should begrudge him from leaving but he is now a Louisville Cardinal and his focus and priority #1 is their program. Will he be glad to see his alma mater do well? Yes but he still will not do anything to help us, and he shouldn't.

My only problem is that we have fans who act like Louisville is their 2nd team now and they are pulling hard for them. Should we wish for Louisville to lose and be awful? Certainly not. However, we would be stupid to spend time focused on them and take any focus away from helping our team win. No need to be mad at Satt or Louisville but we should not take them on as our P5 team either. They are going to try and steal our assistants, likely offer some of our commits, and would gladly take any App player who wants to transfer there. Louisville is not going to be our friend anymore than any other ACC school.
This. We aren’t losing it we just aren’t going to think Louisville is our friend. They are in fact the enemy just like any other school. They are going to gut us and that concerns a few of us as it should. We could still go to a NY6 bowl but if they start gutting us then that might be unlikely. So yeah.
Last edited by asu7 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”